Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Capacitors, do you need them with a battery in the system?

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Troubleshooting an unfortunate loss of charging power.  Always something I guess.  I see in the circuit a capacitor on the high side of the regulator (+) (I am using a Key West regulator).

Is this needed in a system with a battery and/or when using a Key West regulator?   Or... have any of you ran into problems with one installed?  Doubt it would have anything to do with my charging circuit, but thought I would ask.  I dont see them in use for systems with a battery via the following description:

http://www.challengers101.com/RotaxChargeSys.html

Going to check AC voltage (as a function of RPM) on the high side first, and then go from there.  Just odd that one day I have 13.8 Volts, then the next, just battery voltage (12.4).

Posted (edited)

Start by checking the output directly at your rectifier. Hopefully it's upstream of that. Check the key west ground too. When mine did that I kept shooting wires until all that was left was the two yellow AC wires coming out of the case. I ended up pulling the motor and changing the stator. It worked one flight and not the next. Not a fun job. Stay positive. I had 75 hrs or better on my bird before I quit having to work on it after every time I flew it. 

Edited by C5Engineer