HKS Avid

19 posts in this topic

Posted

I Googled my N number and this picture came which I had never seen. I have had the plane at Oshkosh several times over the years ( I use the UL strip ) and thought it was taken there but a friend thought maybe it was landing at Brodhead. There are photographers and cameras everywhere so who knows. Anyway I think it's a good picture of my Avid

Mike

image.jpeg

4 people like this

Posted

That is a great picture, but Google is kind of scary isn't it?

Mark

Posted

Yes it is. Cool but scary.

Posted

That's a great photo!   Shows off the color very nicely!  (You're right, though, not the UL strip.)

Would you care to give us a pilot report on the HKS?

Posted

It's been doing great. I had it installed in 2005 and I just hit 600 hrs on it.

The TBO is 1000 hrs but I doubt that I will be doing an overhaul unless something changes with the compressions or oil analysis's. Oil change once a year just before winter and plugs at 200 hrs (about 4 years at the rate I fly it). Two people on board and I run it at 5400 rpm which is 2.5 gph. Me by myself I run it 4800 to 5200 and fuel flows drop to 1.8 to 2.2gph. Normall cruise is 70mph which seems to be close to best L/D for my wing but it will go 90mph wide open. I warm it up slow and cool it down slow and preheat it if I fly when it's colder than 40 degrees. Fly it at least once a week unless the snow is to deep to breakfast with the guys and to the midwest airshows in the summer.  I expect it will last me until I'm done flying the plane. Turn the key and go. It's been pretty much care free. A well engineered engine.

Mike

2 people like this

Posted

I have a friend that has one in a Skyraider and his numbers are comparable to yours.He likes it and says its a quality motor. Randy

Posted

Same thing I've heard to their quality and reliability.

Ive been told they are a little light on power, compared to a 582.  I don't know that I totally believe that.  Can you comment on that?   What engine did you have prior to the HKS?

Posted

I flew it with the 582 for 280 hrs before I switched. As I recall went from a 1100 climb to to an 800 fpm climb with the HKS. The worst I ever saw was giving a BFR to a heavy fellow on a 100 degree plus day and it was only doing about 400 fpm. On a normal day with a normal weight person in there with me it climbs 600 fpm and has never caused any concern flying in the midwest. I usually fly it with 5 gallons of gas in it unless I'm headed out to the airshows. After about an hour and a half I'm ready to get out and stretch my legs so carrying allot of extra gas around is not something I usually do. Most of the time fly out of 2000 ft grass strips but I am currently in the process of moving to an 800 ft grass strip. There are no obstructions there. I am using the same Peery prop and the 582 turned it 6200 static. The HKS turns it 5900 static. It's an honest 60 hp with a flat torque curve.

Posted

Where in the Midwest are you located?  TJay sent us some blowing snow in STL this morning - I wanted him to keep it...

EDMO

Posted

New Albany Ohio just northeast of Columbus. I keep the plane at August Acres OH17 but am moving it to a private UL strip near Johnstown next month.

Posted

I didn't know you could give a BFR in an experimental plane - guess as long as the guy don't rent the plane?

EDMO

Posted

Yes not in the instructing game anymore, at least in GA airplanes.

i do it for a couple flying buddy's and there is no charge.

Posted

I am running the HKS on my avid MKIV also and love it. My numbers are similar to yours, I am considering trying a IVO IFA, currently running70 inch power fin three blade                               Regards Steve

Posted

I have taken my BFR in my Avid a few times.

Posted (edited)

I have taken my BFR in my Avid a few times.

Bandit,

I know that you can BFR in your own experimental - I was trying to say that a CFI cant rent you an Experimental - "Not for Commercial use".  I was wondering about the Kitfox flight instruction program they had - never checked on it tho...Maybe you had to buy the plane first, so then the instruction was in your own Experimental?

But, he said he didn't charge for the plane or BFR, and that is legal.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Stick and Rudder (Associated with Kitfox) instructs in S-LSA aircraft.  This is legal.

Posted

Steve

i did not know there was another Avid with an HKS on it. Do you have pictures posted somewhere of your installation? I would like to see them. Where are you located?

Mike

Posted

Hi mike  I do not have any pictures on this computer,however aircraft is in my garage now with cowls off so I will try to get a few soon. I am in Saskatchewan close to North Batttleford.I bought this Avid from Ed D antoni in Calgary several years ago. He sold 582 that came with kit and went with Jabiru 2200 but didnt like required maintenance so ended up with HKS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Steve

Posted

I had the Hawker into Edmonton A couple years ago which I don't think is all that far west of you. That is some really nice territory up there and looks like a great place to fly around in an Avid. Some areas appeared largely uninhabited and remote so it might be a long walk if you landed out though!