Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Super Cub Resto

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Setting everything from scratch. Dihedral was right but had to adjust the incidence on both wings. Tail was good. Then adjusted the ailerons and flaps. Flaps are a PITA!!! Then we spent a couple hours replacing the fasteners we removed to do the adjustments, cotter pins, and safety wire. I love a productive day!!!

I can't remember the numbers, L-21 maybe? Everything is new, wheels, tires, up grade to disc brakes, up grade to a 150hp engine + a new prop. All the seats recovered, new instruments, new glass... and of course new skins.

tail%20copy_zpsnkn31z6b.jpg

20151119_135043_zpsgspowq63.jpg

DSC00422_zpsm7rv6ikw.jpg

DSC00418_zpsu7d3jrlx.jpg

Was going to test fly last Saturday, but we're missing a few parts. The weather wasn't cooperating anyway. Next week maybe. I'll post some more pics.

Edited by Fly-n-Low
3 people like this

Posted

Man I had hell getting that first pic oriented right. I flipped on my computer then flipped again on photobucket but it still ended up on it's side. I had to make a copy and send it through Adobe Photoshop to get it right.... I guess cause it was off my phone???

Posted

Great looking bird!  Sometimes pics taken with a phone can be a pain.  If you load them straight to the forum and not go through photobucket it seems the forum software is now getting them flipped up right on its own.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Great plane - Big improvement over J3 - Now if you just had some taller bush gear and 36" tires on it, and Big Matco tailwheel....

EDMO

Posted

BEAUTIFUL !!

:BC:

Posted

Thanks guys. My buddy (an IA) that is restoring this is who is helping me with my Avid. I was keeping it in his hanger until I found a spot at Scott Field, M80.

The story goes, it was built, crated and sent to Italy. They used it for a time, then it was crated and sent back to the states somewhere in south Louisiana. To some school. There it was put together again, and it ended up here as a Madison Parish Sheriff's plane. It was sold at auction to "Red" Beard, a local ag pilot, then to my friend. So log books are a bit vague. LOL!!! They don't matter now though! :)

Posted

Where I entered:

DSCN0939.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg

DSCN0944.jpg

He says a Steerman is next.

Posted

That'll be a lend-lease L-21 Super Cub supplied to Italy (and many other countries) in the post war years. There are lot of them and the L-21 Cub here in Europe. I think it would have had an O-290 originally. I used to instruct in one and owned an L-18.

Ad

3 people like this

Posted

20151204_164748_zpsnaxizjzp.jpg

In the air!!! Flew yesterday with a few teething problems. We have them all sorted...  as with some mystery braces for the cowl sorted also.... I think. She flew beautifully today!!! I was offered a ride, but was a bit tired and COLD!!!!!

I am charging video cameras as I type this. And have a my CC for fuel!!!

Posted

That's what I call progress!

Oh, don't forget your jacket...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Fly-n-Low,

What are the aileron up and down degrees on the L-21?

Added:  I looked up the TCDS for the J3 and the PA18/L21 and they are 18 degrees up and down.

My MC4 Maule had 20 degrees up and down. 

As a comparison of differential ailerons, my Cessna 150 had 20 degrees up and 15 down.

Guess the Avid/Fox flaperons have to have more travel (25 up & 25 dn + 15 dn flaps) because they are so short in chord?

Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO