Is a Bandit a IV?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is for conversation only.  Here's a Bandit in Florida with a Subaru in it.  I wonder what the useful load might be.   It's somehow accumulated 740 hours so maybe it's a pretty good flyer?

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1007640_AVID+BANDIT.html

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted (edited)

I really cant believe how cheap these things are getting. what is the huge scoop under it?

Edited by TJay

Posted

the radiator

Posted (edited)

I fixed the link above to actually go there.  And yes, that is presumably the radiator for the EA-81.  I had always assumed that the Bandit had a lower gross weight because of the 503 engine but I don't find any info on the net that says that.  It's got wing tanks, a big greasy auto engine with cooling and HH wings.  Might be a nice airplane.  

It's even got oil blow by all over the gear legs.  According to the N number registration it started life with a Rotax of some kind. 

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

Kinda defeats the design purpose of an ultra-lightweight "Bandit" by putting that heavy ass Subaru in it...

2 people like this

Posted

My thoughts exactly but maybe it's nothing but a data plate with a box of "parts"?   I'm of the opinion that those old Subaru 1.8 engines should remain in Subarus.

Posted

What pieces and arts made the Bandit alight weight MKIV besides the 503?  I think the 582 was a more popular option from what Ive seen on the used market. 

Posted

What pieces and arts made the Bandit alight weight MKIV besides the 503?  I think the 582 was a more popular option from what Ive seen on the used market. 

About the only difference is the sling seat, no fiberglass leading edge and no fabric interior.

Posted

What is the fiberglass leading edge you are referring to?  Both of my MK IVs have an aluminum sheet going back about 16" from the front spar over the top false ribs.   Don't know if the Bandit did that or not.   Jim Chuk

Posted

You are right Jim I meant aluminum

Posted

Found this in my stuff today.

image.jpeg

1 person likes this