Questions about a 582

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey, I've got a question for the Rotax 2 stroke experts. I'm planning to go look at a project plane with a 582. The oil injector failed. Owner said it turns over. That's about all I know for now. Is it likely that it could be rebuilt? What should I look for? Exhaust is removed. I'm thinking of getting this plane flying for some inexpensive local flying while I work on my other project.

Posted

Lot of variables there. Best case scenario it needs a piston or two. Worst case the entire thing is toast. Either way I think you would have a pretty big unknown on your hands and I wouldn't think of flying it without a complete tear down and inspection. The crank depends on the oil for lubrication also. Any idea how long it was ran for or if it seized at any point? Either way the prices of 582s are pretty reasonable. You can get a zero timed one from Rotax Rick for $2450 and swap the gearbox over and have it running in a weekend. I'd use the oil starved motor as a bargaining chip for sure. Hope you can work a deal. Lots of good ones out there right now. 

Posted

Thanks Joey. That helps. Sounds like the best I can assume to start with is that the gearbox may be usable. I don't know how long it ran after the injector failed. He said it turns over easily.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Joey. That helps. Sounds like the best I can assume to start with is that the gearbox may be usable. I don't know how long it ran after the injector failed. He said it turns over easily.

Is it the blue one in Eugene?  If you pull off the exhaust and shine a flashlight into the exhaust port and see scoring on the piston...it's a full rebuild. 

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

Is it the blue one in Eugene?  If you pull off the exhaust and shine a flashlight into the exhaust port and see scoring on the piston...it's a full rebuild. 

Yeah, that's the one. Looks like the exhaust is already off. I'll bring my flashlight.

Posted

Mind, you're only seeing the exhaust side.  It could be scored on the intake side too.  A well baby check by Rotax Rick is in order either way.  That looks like a great project for somebody.  You'll want new seals no matter what.  The owner/seller has started a rebuild...it's back on it's gear anyway.   

Posted

I talked to the seller a little. He seems like a nice guy. I won't know too much until I can look at it. It's been sitting for 2 years since the accident. It's actually over at the coast, so I don't know what salt air might have done to it. Sounds like the firewall area and cabin sustained the most tubing damage (aside from the gear). The flaperon hangers are all broken off. He said he put it on some Kitfox gear legs to move it around the shop for now. Might work out for me because I could use some of the parts from my other MKIV that I wasn't planning to use.