First trip out after deployment

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I got home Thursday night after 3 months of flying the KC-10 in the sandbox. Logged a rediculous amount of hours but it's just not the same as Avid flying. Went out yesterday with my Rans buddy and hit one of our easier gorgeous spots thats been around next to the reservoir since the water dropped earlier this year. Felt soooo good landing off airport for the first landing after a while out of the airplane.

I only got to fly it a handful of times with the new motor, cooling system, gear, and tires before I left so everything is still brand new to me. The trip up to the lake takes just shy of an hour and was the furthest I had ventured away since the mods. The video was of my third landing. Pretty short with minimal effort but you can see the tires bouncing when I am on the brakes. 6psi is too much and my shocks are still too stiff. I am working with Tony at TK1 Racing to get them dialed in. It's going to take some time. It's mind boggling how smooth it is taxiing around over rocks and sticks with the 27s. Going to fly it a few more times and then tackle the cowling project.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9 people like this

Posted

Awesome

Posted

Glad you are back home Joey - Good Flying!  EDMO

Posted

Nice video! That last picture looks cool too.

Posted

That gear is monster.  No more side hill gear collapses with that set up.  Glad you're home safe and sound too.  

Posted

Thank you SIR for your service!!! cool201.gif

Awesome bird!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good, Joey!  And Welcome home!

(That sure is a tiny little rudder on that plane…)

1 person likes this

Posted

...and he didn't even take the time to change pants :bugeyes:

Welcome home!

Posted

Like!

Posted

Neat.

Welcome home!

Posted

Awesome pics and video!  I'm very interested in your set up and "off airport" operations in general.  I'm coming to this hobby after years of single track dirt biking in the mountains around Tucson AZ.  The challenge was always to set up the bike and build skills to get as far "off road" as possible - not in the distance sense, but in the technical sense.  blasting down dry river beds transitioning from sugar to 4-12" rock pack to water. Up steep hills, climb over building sized boulders etc. on a somewhat purpose customized motocross platform.

The idea that that approach to fun can be realized in an airplane really has me jazzed :)

Please keep posting more of this great stuff!  So fun to watch.

Posted

You are in luck. I am an Idaho native and grew riding single track. I raced Hare Scrambles for a long time. Landing off airport uses a lot of the same skills as it takes to pick a good line thru a technical section of trail. Being able to read the terrain and know how the plane is going to react when you land on it is critical. Obviously the better set up the plane is for what you want to do the more interesting places you can go. Landing where a plane has never landed before always increases the risk so you must get the rush that I do when I hop out of the plane right after landing a new technical spot for the first time or you probably won't be willing to accept that risk. More than once I've been out walking around after a landing and found a huge hazard like a log or a gopher hole and thought wow I am I didn't land on that. Goes back to step 1 on being able to read the ground while making a low pass. I will often times fly over a spot 10 times or more before landing it.

Make sure you are completely comfortable in the plane and can hit your mark every time consistently. Most people fly 5-15 mph faster than they need to be  on short final. Every off airport approach is different so learning to fly the airplane instead of flying references or numbers helps. How many spam can drivers have you seen who end up way high and fast at somewhere besides their home field because they are so used to being at certain places at certain times. And finally always remember that if you do it enough eventually you are going to bend something. 

4 people like this

Posted

Make sure you are completely comfortable in the plane and can hit your mark every time consistently. Most people fly 5-15 mph faster than they need to be  on short final. Every off airport approach is different so learning to fly the airplane instead of flying references or numbers helps. How many spam can drivers have you seen who end up way high and fast at somewhere besides their home field because they are so used to being at certain places at certain times. And finally always remember that if you do it enough eventually you are going to bend something

X2 on that one.  I agree with everything else Joey said as well!

:BC:

Posted

Welcome home Joey!

Posted

So glad you're home Joey in time for Thanksgiving and I too really enjoy all your videos. I look forward to seeing you soon when you venture back up north.

Posted

So nice to enjoy this Thanksgiving with your wife and kids, I'll bet you get some good welcome home time after your deployments!

floor-e1410988067479.thumb.jpg.f347c965b

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome home and great vid!!

Posted

Welcome home, and thanks for your service!