Avid with a new tail and skis

43 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I'm around 71". It fits me well and is very comfortable. I have plenty of head room, but the newer Airdale's floor space would be a plus. First time I got into it/looked at it, I had my work boots on. LOL!!! No room for them at all!!! ;)

Posted

I am only 67" tall, so I raised my seats....... 

I Just need to park next to a stump, so my short legs can get me into the saddle - like riding a tall horse!  :lol:

EDMO

I got a whole inch on you man!   All body and no leg though.....

I used to be 68", but shrank with age - Interestingly, my 80" son-in-law was only 1" taller than me from butt to head - It's all in the legs, and mine didn't grow much!

EDMO

With a little work on our bellies we can be sumo wrestlers eh?  :)

2 people like this

Posted

If you look closely you can see the outline of the original tail.

A few pieces of 4130 and a mig welder fixed that tail wagger. 

We aren't craftsmen but it is airworthy and a pretty decal distracts from blemishes. (:

It is now a very nice docile little airplane. 

A little tail fixes a lot of problems,,,,,eh?

Ray

avidtail[1].jpg

2 people like this

Posted

A couple of wood ribs in that tail would have hid the old tubing - Mine is about the same, but adding them.  I like your decals too.

EDMO

Posted

Interesting, I raised the roof on my Avid+ when I built it and it is a lot more comfortable for me at 6'-1".  It looks like your roof is almost the same as mine.  It has been more stable than my stock MKIV was from the start but it has a lot larger tail than the Avid MKIV.

DSCN0749-1.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Nice plane Randy,

I don't think I have ever read the EW or GW for the Fat Avid - I have a chart of the comparison dimensions of it, Avid IV and Magnum, but no weights for the  Avid+.   I guess it may be more than 1320 GW?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Randy is the elevator stock off the Mark IV on your avid, I think im going to build a larger one , mine is stock off a the avid c but I run out of up elevator when landing which kind kinda sucks, also going to try and do the wing extension hopefully this spring

Posted

Randy is the elevator stock off the Mark IV on your avid, I think im going to build a larger one , mine is stock off a the avid c but I run out of up elevator when landing which kind kinda sucks, also going to try and do the wing extension hopefully this spring

Marshawk,  Get with Joey C5Engineer - he converted his.  I think he made some posts / photos about it.

EDMO

Posted

I enlarged mine just like Joey.  high wing llc was the company but a recent google search indicated that they have closed.

Posted

I enlarged mine just like Joey.  high wing llc was the company but a recent google search indicated that they have closed.

Joey's photos and post are in the Avid B Model threads.

EDMO

Posted

Thanks Ed,I seen Joey"s elevator mod and probably will do the exact same thing with a trim tab , was just wondering if Randy was have the same problem as mine

Posted

Thanks Ed,I seen Joey"s elevator mod and probably will do the exact same thing with a trim tab , was just wondering if Randy was have the same problem as mine

I had the same problem with the Kitfox 1 and 2, and the Ercoupe - Had to apply power sometimes to flare.

EDMO

Posted

You might try a penny tech solution. I filled the gap between the stab and elevator with "2 1/2 wide nylon cloth tape over the top and bottom creating clean contiguous surfaces. I have no complaints with low speed elevator response now in the stock configuration.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Allonsye . I went even cheaper and cover the gap with good old duct tape on both sides, and installed vortex generators on the underside of the elevator ,it all helped a bit  but still would like more, just going to build a new one after ski flying season is over

2 people like this

Posted

Willis -

Another pitch performance improvement consideration is CG -- as far back as safely practical.  Moving the battery back within the tail is the first thing I'd look at and does not add weight or cost much at all.

paul

Posted

Willis.

Mine is the stock elevator off of my old Avid MKIV and has the VG's on the underside of the horizontal.  The elevator authority has always been fine but with full flaps on landing I run full up rim and still have to hold back pressure on the elevator but it still has good authority.  I just cannot trim it enough to relieve the back pressure.  Depending on how I have my plane loaded I run my trim to the limits at both ends of it's travel.  When loaded heavy in the baggage like I was this year hunting with 15 gals of fuel in the baggage plus all my gear for 2+ weeks of hunting I have to pull a notch or two of flaps to get into my trim range in cruise, so it depends a lot on my loading where my trim ends up; but it has always had plenty of elevator authority. 

Yours is the factory Avid + with the additional 18" length correct?  If I remember, you had to adjust your angle of attack on the Horizontal.  Would this have changed the ability to get the full up and down angles of your elevator in relation to your Horizontal stabilizer and it might require adjusting your stops again? (credit to Jack on thinking of that)

Randy

Posted

Thanks Randy and Jack, I will take a closer look at that, might have sometime to do with it and maybe not getting quite as much up elevator now, it is the factory avid  +  My elevator was off the avid c  not sure if the MK1V elevator was a bit larger also

Posted

I'm not sure when Avid changed the elevator sizes.  Maybe one of the gurus like Doug can tell us.  Jeff gave me an extra elevator he had for his Avid and it is definitely smaller than mine but I am not sure what model his was from.