Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windshield attachment Model C #378

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Don't beat me to death. I bought the plane sight unseen. When I took the cowl off, I found the windshield to be entirely unattached from the metal piece with all the holes in it at the bottom of the um, glareshield. I've downloaded the build manual from this site, but can not find instructions for the windsield attach. Any help?

Posted

You'll never be beaten for asking questions. 

Maybe a photo of the situation would help, though. 

Posted

hard to say in english ...the windshield is attached at the bottom only on the fiber instrument panel (the avid original panel is made of two pieces, the windshield is attached on the horizontal one)

hope this help

Posted

You'll never be beaten for asking questions. 

Maybe a photo of the situation would help, though. 

I was kinda afraid it would come to me having to learn how to post pictures.:mellow:I'll try to do it, though.

Posted

Posting pics is easy, when you hit reply, a box will open where you type your reply, at the left hand bottom of that box, it says  Drag files here to attach, or choose files.  I always click on the choose files and it will give you a box that lists the places on your PC where you may have the pictures.  Find the pic, double click on it and a copy of the pic should move into the message yo are trying to post.  Jim Chuk 

Posted

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

Posted

I make pichers.:mellow:

Posted

Are you are having troubles pulling it up tight against the glare shield with out deforming the wind shield Or making it not fit the fiberglass cowl?

Posted

I have to ask about the car - Studebaker or Henry J?  Been a long time since I had one...Check out TJay's question above - didn't want to interrupt.  EDMO

Posted

A good idea is to add a"u" shaped plastic moulding to the bottom of the windscreen,it saves wet feet or worse still,water in the electrics 

Posted

I used a (black) double sided sticky foam tape, About a 1 mm thick. Apply it first to the horizontal instrument panel, position the windscreen correctly and pull off the protective (second side) file from between the screen and tape.   

Posted

Are you are having troubles pulling it up tight against the glare shield with out deforming the wind shield Or making it not fit the fiberglass cowl?

I am having trouble figuring out the proper way to attach the 'shield to the horizontal metal piece with the holes in it. After that is done, I'll attach the top areas. I think.:mellow:

Posted

I have to ask about the car - Studebaker or Henry J?  Been a long time since I had one...Check out TJay's question above - didn't want to interrupt.  EDMO

1953 Studebaker Commander Coupe.

Posted

A good idea is to add a"u" shaped plastic moulding to the bottom of the windscreen,it saves wet feet or worse still,water in the electrics 

Thank you for that tip.

Posted

I used a (black) double sided sticky foam tape, About a 1 mm thick. Apply it first to the horizontal instrument panel, position the windscreen correctly and pull off the protective (second side) file from between the screen and tape.   

That you for that tip.

Posted

Buddy of mine who lowered the panel and glare shield on his KF4 bent a strong strip of aluminum around the lower edge of the windscreen where the glareshield mated and secured to tubing with (4) adel clamps to provide rigidity. Then bolted the three pieces together. It was a bit tricky getting the compound curve just right but worked very well. Hope that description made sense, sorry no pics.

Posted (edited)

Henry J would have been smaller, I believe. As a young man, my desire was to "slip" a Plymouth 265 into a "J"

Edited by KFfan

Posted (edited)

This is Kitfox, not Avid.  Screws with washers and nylock nuts on the under side of the fiberglass instrument panel cover.IMG_1977.thumb.jpg.175d398288694a2becbd4

IMG_1981.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted

Possible tip to prevent future cracks: make the holes bigger than the fasteners, so the fastener "floats" with some edge clearance and the head holds the windshield in place. This prevents a pre-stressed hole from cracking later.

Posted

Possible tip to prevent future cracks: make the holes bigger than the fasteners, so the fastener "floats" with some edge clearance and the head holds the windshield in place. This prevents a pre-stressed hole from cracking later.

Good tip Nick,

IMO, bolts are better - rivets can put too much pressure / stress on the plastic - rubber washers or rubber inserts into the holes is even better.

EDMO

Posted

Right on EDMO. We use rubber bushings on the helicopter windshields to prevent stress cracks. They assure that the glass floats away from hard metal.

Posted

Thank you all who replied!!!:)