Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Bungees

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I got the new bungees installed on my Kitfox IV-1050 last night.  It took about 2-1/2 hours to do.  Not too terrible of a job, but definitely a two person situation.  Dave Fisher posted a photo on the Rotax Board of a technique using an ax handle to wedge each wrap while making the next.  

I did similar and used a scrap piece of 1 x 2" wood.  I trimmed it down to a bout a 1 x 1, then made two angle cuts in the end to make the two way wedge.  Without this tool, I'd have no idea how to do this task.  If I had to do it again, I think I'd be down to maybe an hour, total.  (I'll try to remember to get a photo of my Bungee-Stick next nime I get to the airport...)

Not an impossible task, just a PITA.

Posted

you'll get better and quicker as time goes by.  I run a ratchet strap between the two wheels to keep the gear sucked up, then do the bungees.  I can do a swap in about 10 minutes with the help of a buddy

:beerchug:

Posted

I used an engine hoist hooked to the motor mount to hold the weight off the gear.

By using the wedge-stick, you can make a wrap, hold it with the wedge, then wrap the next, etc.  It worked pretty well...

I'm not sure if the bungees wrap a little different on the KF than on an Avid, though.

Posted

not really, I have done both and they are about the same except where the hooks for the bungees are.

Posted

Here's the photos...

(Crappy phone-camera pictures.)

1118_8e956da74b7e2935c2d71e39d4b39ec7f82

1120_9e2dfdad61331b3fe17354dba986d0d4eaf

Posted

sweet!  new bird looks good!  you still working on the original one you had or has it taken a back seat now that you have one flying?

I was working very dilignetly on rebuilding my plane till my brother showed up from OK with his KF II in tow... as soon as he showed up, my plane went into moth balls for a year and a half even though I only had about a weeks work left on it to get it back in the air.  I was too busy flying the crap out of his to bother working on mine anymore :lol:  I think I put about 180 hrs on his in the first summer it was here when I put my floats on his plane!

Posted

Yeah, the 1200 is kinda just parked right now.  Flying the bejesus out of the 1050.

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with the 1200.  I really like the IVO and Grove setup on it, but the 1050 is such a sweetheart (and it's flying now, today!).

I don't know...  I'd really like to redo the 1200 as a keeper, but...  :hammerhead:

(I'm being more indecisive than my wife.  :shitfan: )

Posted

sell it :2cent:

Posted

Doug--  When are you coming for it?  :sharedoobie:

Posted

I just happen to have heard 'through the grapevine' that there a a couple/few folks in your own neighborhood who may be interested. I am getting a bit perturbed that there are no good planes offered in the N.E., I would buy a 912 4-1200 on the spot to bolt my floats to if the opportunity presented itself.  :(

Posted

Yeah, it's unofficially available now, for the right offer...

(Part of me still wants to take the IVO and the Grove Gear off it, though.)

Posted

Tempting yes, but I would leave the existing package intact for resale. Look at it this way.... you have an extremely nice almost-new ride now and if you ever really needed it, a brand new IFA is only, what, maybe ~$2500? Personally, if I could afford that expense without taking food off the table, I (and I suspect you) would feel more comfortable with a brand new prop and control. New is good.

Posted

Damn your practicality, Doug!!  :lol: