Budget Avid

51 posts in this topic

Posted

No problem Allonseye. I hope to finish up the welding this weekend. Should have some more pictures them. I decided to replace all the tubes in the front floor / lower firewall areas, and remove the nose wheel socket to reduce clutter and a little weight.

Not sure if I should have obscured my tail number or not. I don't imagine there's much harm showing it though. The reports on the accident are interesting. Sounds like the gear driving the oil injector broke.

Posted (edited)

Not sure if I should have obscured my tail number or not. I don't imagine there's much harm showing it though. The reports on the accident are interesting. Sounds like the gear driving the oil injector broke.

.......indeed.  Moreover, sounds as though the motor sat more than 5 yrs and should have been overhauled by the new owner.  Sad, fortunately the pilot/owner accomplished a survivable landing.  Good luck with the project Luke.  Have you decided on what to do with or for a powerplant?

Paul

Edited by allonsye

Posted (edited)

I'm planning to use as many parts as I can from the 582. We'll see... :unsure: Before that I've got quite a bit to do on the rest of the plane.

I got some more welding done this weekend. The majority is done now. Here are some pictures.

I removed the trike tube, and replaced all of the bent tubes in that area

568a09e402807_IMG_20160101_1731044221.th

Here is a view from the front (partially welded in this picture).

568a0a3003d4e_IMG_20160101_1731527261.th

Here's a shot showing some of rivet holes I welded shut.

568a0a615c9d8_IMG_20160101_173558139_HDR

Edited by Luked

Posted

FANTASTIC - mad welding skills. Kudos.:flamegun:

Posted

FANTASTIC - mad welding skills. Kudos.:flamegun:

Haha, well thanks for the compliment. I'd say passable welding skills. I haven't done a lot of thin walled welding until my Avid projects. I'm definitely improving though.

Posted

Perhaps EDMO would be interested in the useless wheel thingy you took off the front...:lmao:

Posted

I sure would be.

Mark

Posted

56646cd28da60_IMG_20151205_154509524_HDR

I sure would be.

Mark

Mark, the only thing I removed was the socket / tube structure you see in the picture above. It's pretty much the same as the part I sent you before (except all bent up). Sorry, no nosegear on this one.

Posted

EDMO has his own design for a nose gear - I actually have two different nose gears to use - Going to find out if a Mountain Bike Frame I got out of a trash can will hold up for a nosegear - I haven't put the side struts on it yet.

Mark, if you want a cheap spindle and fork that will take a beating, I can give you the site to look - about $35.

EDMO

FOXY NOSE GEAR.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

56646cd28da60_IMG_20151205_154509524_HDR

I sure would be.

Mark

Mark, the only thing I removed was the socket / tube structure you see in the picture above. It's pretty much the same as the part I sent you before (except all bent up). Sorry, no nosegear on this one.

Ok, thanks.  I have that nosegear basket to get welded in when I have the cover off later this year.  Lot more welding practice before I tackle that (and the float rigging).  Thank goodness for Wicks $20 10lb 4130 scrap boxes, I need lots of tubing for practice!

Mark

Posted (edited)

Mark,

I think I took this photo from Georgia Equipment site - They make parts for brush hogs, and the tailwheels for them really take a beating - You might need to straighten up the pivot angle on it for your plane - it matched about what I used - I think they make 2 different spindle sizes.

If you cant find them with what I gave you, let me know.  You might be able to buy the material and make something like this from scratch - ChrisB might have some dimensions if you need help?

Knuckledragger just said that he is going from nosegear to taildragger, you might make a deal for his nosegear?

We need more nosedraggers on here - I think we are greatly outnumbered!

EDMO

ec[1].jpg

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yea, I'd try to talk Knuckledragger out of his Nose gear, but then he'd try to get my floats :)

I'll probably have to make one, but maybe I can talk him into at least taking some pictures of it for reference.....  If he finds floats, I'll be happy to help with the rigging.  I have the water rudders, which I still need to lay out on the hangar floor and measure.  I promised someone I'd do that, but the time hasn't been there yet.  Darn days are just too short!

Mark

Posted (edited)

Yea, I'd try to talk Knuckledragger out of his Nose gear, but then he'd try to get my floats :)

I'll probably have to make one, but maybe I can talk him into at least taking some pictures of it for reference.....  If he finds floats, I'll be happy to help with the rigging.  I have the water rudders, which I still need to lay out on the hangar floor and measure.  I promised someone I'd do that, but the time hasn't been there yet.  Darn days are just too short!

Mark

Ask him for measurements too.  They might be important...ChrisB made his own linkage to the rudder pedals - be sure and get that measurement too.  I have one of those $1000 spring-loaded nosegears that was made to fit on the Avid tube - If my gear works out I may sell it someday, a long time from now.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

This might be a good time to bring up the Kitfox style nose gear that I have and should sell one of these days.   Jim Chuk

New MK IV 052 (Large).jpg

Posted

EDMO has his own design for a nose gear - I actually have two different nose gears to use - Going to find out if a Mountain Bike Frame I got out of a trash can will hold up for a nosegear - I haven't put the side struts on it yet.

Mark, if you want a cheap spindle and fork that will take a beating, I can give you the site to look - about $35.

EDMO

Glad to see Yankee ingenuity never dies...

Posted (edited)

EDMO

Glad to see Yankee ingenuity never dies...

Ah aint never been called a Yankee - hope that aint too terrible!

Oh, you are talking about the nose gear!  Thanks.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I started working on wings earlier this week. Had to move to the shop temporarily for more space.

569a672fb2dc6_IMG_20160109_1625177511.th

569a67490503c_IMG_20160109_1625330861.th

I actually got the covering stripped off, but I guess I didn't take a picture. Some mice had been living in the front spars, and they had some corrosion. Not that bad, but I decided to replace them. I got some tubing on Thursday from a place in Portland. Hopefully I can get some more done today.

569a6761ad1b3_IMG_20160115_134017382_HDR

Posted

I am interested how much work it will be to change the spars. My barn find Avid has corrosion in the front spar on one wing due to mice. I would like to salvage them. 

Posted (edited)

Looks like a good time to invest in the Just Aircraft spar inserts at about $75 for 2 of them - Lots cheaper than Kitfox inserts, and a lot longer and stronger than the Avid plywood inserts.

Did you get .065 or .083 wall spars?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Joey, I'll let you know how the spar replacement goes. I've already removed the old spars. That went okay I guess. At least I managed to avoid damaging the rest of the structure.

Ed, since this is a budget project and the wings will only have 12' spars, I'm just going to make up some of the 1/4 ply inserts (I'll use top quality aircraft grade). seems like they've been sufficient in a lot of Avids so far. On my other project with the longer KF wings, I'll go with the extruded inserts for sure though.

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like a good time to invest in the Just Aircraft spar inserts at about $75 for 2 of them - Lots cheaper than Kitfox inserts, and a lot longer and stronger than the Avid plywood inserts.

EDMO

Ed, When I was looking to rebuild the right wing that was damaged in the Pursang I found out that Avid ordered a run of .083' spar tubing. It is not a normal size. I checked all over the country and no one had even heard of it. Seems that's why the .065 stuff has been used since they ran out of that specialty order a few years ago.

1 person likes this

Posted

EDMO

Ed, When I was looking to rebuild the right wing that was damaged in the Pursang I found out that Avid ordered a run of .083' spar tubing. It is not a normal size. I checked all over the country and no one had even heard of it. Seems that's why the .065 stuff has been used since they ran out of that specialty order a few years ago.

Sooo - Maybe that is why Kitfox and Just Aircraft both use .065 spars?   Guess it works...

Thanks,  Ed

Posted

This is also what Dave found when he scratch built the wings for his Sputzee, Avid-Kitfox hybrid.  .065 wall was the only thickness available without $pecial order.

An additional problem was no one had the length he needed and he had to buy 20' sections of tube.  The Kitfox spars are something like 13' - 6".  I don't remember exactly.  He sold the drops to Brett for wing extention kits. 

Posted

EDMO

Sorry Ed, I forgot to answer this. I got .065".