Wanted: Big wheels and tyres for Avid IV

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Um, as per the title...

Thanks, Sam.

Posted (edited)

It's only money? You looking for what type of set up you need or a deal? You don't come across used set ups like this because once you go there you will never go back. Absolutely zero comparison between my Nancos and the 27" Dessers. Not to mention it just looks sweet :) There is really own 2 options. Find a set of Kitfox wheels and brakes and go with the Dessers which are for an 8"'rim or slap a set of 26" Airstreaks on your 6" wheels. 

image.jpg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Has anyone found a pneumatic tail wheel that fit on the maule gear? I'm tempted to try to adapt the 6" Matco rim and tire...   

Posted (edited)

I bought a 6" pneumatic caster wheel from Northern Hydrolics and used it for a while.  Had to replace the cheap bearings right away with some good ones.    It worked fine, but the cheap Chinese tire didn't last very long and the side wall of the tire started to come apart.  I'm looking for the pics I used to have of it, but haven't found them yet.  Jim Chuk

PS here is a link to the wheel I used  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=6%22+caster+wheel

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thanks!

Yes, the low quality rubber show on the photo...
I was thinking about Matco rim and tire

lg (1).jpg

lg.jpg

Posted

Great thread!!  I'm all, erm, eyes. :bugeyes:

Posted

Has anyone found a pneumatic tail wheel that fit on the maule gear? I'm tempted to try to adapt the 6" Matco rim and tire...   

Why not just go with the complete Matco tailwheel?

Posted

Well, there is frequent misunderstanding that people with airplanes have a lot of money. People with airplanes maybe have been rich but have no money left.... I'm at the end of a complete re-build of my bird... well, I think you get the picture.. 
Someone wrote something like "an airplane is a hole in the sky that you throw money through", and there is truth in that.

The Maule mechanism is good but the hard rubber wheel less so. If I can get to  where I want for 100$ rather than the double I'm sure I can find a hole to put the difference in...In worst case I could always buy fuel...

Posted

How very true Fred. 

The only thing I would disagree with in your statement is that the Maule mechanism is good.   IMO, it is a horrible design that, unless set up perfectly, is borderline dangerous.  I know of several wrecked airplanes that can be blamed on the way that the Maule tailwheel works (or malfunctions in so many cases). 

Posted

Maul does have a pneumatic tire available at ACS but you would need to buy the different fork/arm to fit it costing around $170USD total and it is still a Maul.  I'm a Matco fan after the Maul taught me about ground loops and fuselage repair.  The Maul is for sale if anyone wants one after my sales pitch, make me an offer (stock solid wheel) only slightly used.

Posted

I have one for sale to.

Posted

Well the best way to save money  if you own a stock Avid with narrow gear and a Maule tail wheel is change to the wide gear and switch to a Matco tail wheel.

Posted

I have the wide gear ready to install.  I'm looking at the Desser 850-6 tires.  Any other reasonably priced tires in that size range?  Anyone have experience with the Dessers?

Posted

There were some rave reports on the old Yahoo US Avid Flyer list. Comments like " I love them", "landing on pillows" so I got a pair.... So far I have only tried mine on the ground (!), first flight is planned to this weekend. They do give your bird an attitude...

image.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted

I am using the 21" Aero Classic tires. 21/800-6 4ply ribbed.

Posted

+1 on the 21" Aero Classic.  Good price, good value.

Posted

+2 on the 21x800-6 Aero Classics. 

Posted

I still cannot give you any feedback on the Desser 850-6 but now I have 2 landings on them.. Yes, I did my first flights after the complete re-build yesterday! It felt like an early Christmas..,  

No issues what so ever... perfect balance no strange tendencies. Felt very much as before the re-build to be honest.. 

First landing after 2 years was a true kiss landing, the tires are like fluffy pillows... A minor bounce on the second landing but nothing to be ashamed of.   

Look, no hands...

Look no hands.png

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What is the difference between the Desser 850-6 in diameter, weight and price compared to the Desser 21-800-6?

Any problems with brakes holding at run-up?  What brake system do you have?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The 850's are a little bigger in diameter.

850-6 - 22" diameter ($225 ea)

21x800-6 - 21" diameter ($109 ea)

To me 1" more diameter and buffed smooth wasn't worth the price difference.  The 21" tire is also available buffed smooth for $169.

Posted

The 850's are a little bigger in diameter.

850-6 - 22" diameter ($225 ea)

21x800-6 - 21" diameter ($109 ea)

To me 1" more diameter and buffed smooth wasn't worth the price difference.  The 21" tire is also available buffed smooth for $169.

Thanks Larry,

For me, the ribbed 21-800-6 will save money, only 1/2" less height from ground, and there is more rubber to wear out.

EDMO

Posted

I put the 21X800X6 ribbed on my fat Avid to give it a bit taller stance since it is stock landing gear on an extended fuselage. haven't flown it with them yet, but they are very light weight for the size and a great value. I like that.

Posted

Look, no hands...

Look no hands.png

Fred,

Are you flying from the right seat?

Posted

No, left seat. The super wide angle lens is distorting the perspective (and maybe I'm leaning a little to the middle as I'm flying "hands off").  

Posted (edited)

+1 on the 21" Aero Classic.  Good price, good value.

+2

Edited by thebriman