Towing with fuel in the tanks

16 posts in this topic

Posted

As I was going through some old Avid news letters I found one that said he had damaged his plane towing it with fuel in the tanks.  He advised you should drain the fuel for transport.  Now he did not say how much fuel was in the tank but lets say it was 7 gal in each tank.  That  would be 42 pounds plus the wing bouncing up and down on the attach points for the struts.  I can see where that could be a problem.

Have any of you seen this problem?  Do you drain your tanks before transport?

Jon

Posted

Hi Jon, I drain my tanks before I tow. If I don't, and the plane is resting on the tail, and there is more than 2 or so gallons in the tank, the gas will come out of the gas cap vent. I tow my bird out every time I fly, so l have to fold the wings so I drain the tank. If I kept the wings out all the time, I would still drain the tanks. My MkIV has the original fiberglass tank and I think it's better for the longevity if they stay dry when not in use. It's pretty easy to drain. Once I fold the wing back, I remove the gas cap, stick some fuel hose to the lowest part of the tank, and start a siphon, stuff the other end of the hose in a fuel jug the let gravity do the rest. Good luck, Bryce

Posted

Hi Jon,

2 issues with towing with fuel. The first is, as you say, the extra load where you don't want it bouncing up and down. Even with empty tanks make sure you ALWAYS use the tow struts when towing...

The second issue is the fuel getting siphoned out of the tanks spraying your windscreen and door windows. A drop of fuel on plexiglass will make it white, fuel running on it will make it crack...

Regards

Fred   

towing struts.jpg

Posted (edited)

Fred,

When you made your window frames, did you use a standard tube bender, or how?  Do you have a closeup of your window hinges?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Go to my my blog and scroll down to June 18th "My best modification" post. You can click the photos to see the detail, the ret is in the text.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks Fred,  that answered most of my questions, except for the hinges, but guess I can figure that part out, since I printed out the photo of them.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I don't think a little gas in the tanks while towing is going to over stress anything. To much gas left in will leak out while the wing is folded unless you tow the airplane flight level.

Posted

I'm going to ask a question, knowing that there are no stupid questions just stupid people :) why do we tow them backwards?

wouldn't it be easier on the control surfaces to tow it facing forward?

Posted (edited)

No stupid questions Ron,

Seems like the easiest trailer to build is like a boat trailer,  or to modify a boat trailer, and the easiest way to load them on the trailer is tail first.  With a flatbed trailer, the way to go is with nose forward, and tail high,  but cover the openings at the wing roots to keep from blowing the fabric loose on the wings.  The other thing is the angle of the wings - with tail-first, the air pressure on the wings is down - You don't want the plane to try to fly!  There may be other things, but that's all I can think of right now.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

No stupid questions Ron,

Seems like the easiest trailer to build is like a boat trailer,  or to modify a boat trailer, and the easiest way to load them on the trailer is tail first.  With a flatbed trailer, the way to go is with nose forward, and tail high,  but cover the openings at the wing roots to keep from blowing the fabric loose on the wings.  The other thing is the angle of the wings - with tail-first, the air pressure on the wings is down - You don't want the plane to try to fly!  There may be other things, but that's all I can think of right now.

EDMO

Wont let me edit:  I meant with a flatbed trailer, you have the option of nose-forward.  I have hauled them on a flatbed with tail forward to keep them from trying to fly since I had no way to jack up the tail, and again, easier to load tail-first.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

When you are towing the plane backwards, you absolutely have to have gust locks on the elevator and rudder.  I used 2 for the elevator, one on each side.  Probably not a bad idea if you're hauling it nose first either, although I've never trailered one like that.  Jim  Chuk

Posted

When you are towing the plane backwards, you absolutely have to have gust locks on the elevator and rudder.  I used 2 for the elevator, one on each side.  Probably not a bad idea if you're hauling it nose first either, although I've never trailered one like that.  Jim  Chuk

The last time I towed one backwards, I had no gust locks available, so I used a ratchet strap to hold the stick forward, and strapped a board across the pedals to keep them from moving - gust locks are better, but where there is a will there is a way.  :<)

EDMO

Posted

Thanks guys...

Posted (edited)

If you just have the controls locked, instead of gust locks on the tailfeathers themselves, everything is going to take a beating.  When a semi passes you going 70 you're going to get all sorts of turbulence from the semi when he gets about 200' in front of you.   I have about 3500 miles of experience hauling these things around, one that was 1500 miles.  Jim Chuk

PS  gust locks are easy to make, I use 1" X 4" boards with some 3/4" or 1" foam rubber glued to the boards.  A 1/4" bolt on each end. 

Edited by 1avidflyer
added info
1 person likes this

Posted

Mine are covered with low pile carpet scraps on the mating surfaces. I also have a rudder lock.

Lou

Posted

If you just have the controls locked, instead of gust locks on the tailfeathers themselves, everything is going to take a beating.  When a semi passes you going 70 you're going to get all sorts of turbulence from the semi when he gets about 200' in front of you.   I have about 3500 miles of experience hauling these things around, one that was 1500 miles.  Jim Chuk

PS  gust locks are easy to make, I use 1" X 4" boards with some 3/4" or 1" foam rubber glued to the boards.  A 1/4" bolt on each end. 

I totally agree Jim - The tow I was referring to was a wreck I had to go get and haul - I just forgot to bring any gust locks - Mine are plywood and carpet - I like the foam idea better.   EDMO