Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FLAPERON TRAVEL?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me, in whatever book you have, or by measurement, what the degrees of up and down travel from neutral is supposed to be for the flaperons, without any flaps added?  I cant seem to find it in any of my books.  I wonder if later Kitfoxes have a different amount of deflection than the early ones/Avids.

I think the J3 Cub has about 15 degrees up and down from neutral, but would have to go to the TCDS to be sure.  I think that some planes have more aileron travel up than down, and I know that with differential ailerons, the up-aileron travels about twice as far as the down-aileron when control stick is used.

Thanks,  EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hi Ed, I copied this from a long ago post for my Fat Avid. Is this what you are looking for???

So I got the controls all working perfectly. New cables, re mounting the flapperon horns and major adjustments did the trick. The control linkage now hard limits at the stick travel limit as it should to avoid stressing any other part of the control mechanism. I get approximately plus and minus 25 degrees of aileron travel stop to stop. I can pull in an additional 15 degrees of flaps, and still have the stick travel hard limited at the stick limits as it should. Full flaps and full aileron deflection provides almost exactly 40 degrees of total down travel. That was a major piece of work to get all figure out, but it is now functioning identical to my MKIV and Magnum.

Chris

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Ed, I copied this from a long ago post for my Fat Avid. Is this what you are looking for???

So I got the controls all working perfectly. New cables, re mounting the flapperon horns and major adjustments did the trick. The control linkage now hard limits at the stick travel limit as it should to avoid stressing any other part of the control mechanism. I get approximately plus and minus 25 degrees of aileron travel stop to stop. I can pull in an additional 15 degrees of flaps, and still have the stick travel hard limited at the stick limits as it should. Full flaps and full aileron deflection provides almost exactly 40 degrees of total down travel. That was a major piece of work to get all figure out, but it is now functioning identical to my MKIV and Magnum.

Chris

Thanks Chris,  That was a lot more than I expected, but very helpful.  

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Mine is a Kitfox classic 4 with the aileron differential.  Going by the builder's manual to rig it as careful as I could then using an angle finder to measure travel I get:

Neutral 0 degrees

Up 21.5 degrees

Down 12.5 degrees

Total travel 34 degrees.

Edit: Measuring to 0.5 degrees I'm probably implying some accuracy not true here.  A wag in confidence I would put on these numbers is plus or minus 2 degrees.

Edited by tcj

Posted (edited)

Mine is a Kitfox classic 4 with the aileron differential.  Going by the builder's manual to rig it as careful as I could then using an angle finder to measure travel I get:

Neutral 0 degrees

Up 21.5 degrees

Down 12.5 degrees

Total travel 34 degrees.

Edit: Measuring to 0.5 degrees I'm probably implying some accuracy not true here.  A wag in confidence I would put on these numbers is plus or minus 2 degrees.

Thanks for that info.  I worked on my mockup aileron controls last night and measured about 22 up and 14 down with digital anglefinder - since my measurements are probably about plus or minus 3 degrees, that is probably close enough to start making the real parts which will be adjustable.  I don't think you will need anywhere near that much travel unless you do aerobatics or maybe fighting a strong crosswind, and I don't do aerobatics.

Is that "Neutral 0 degrees" with the horizontal stabilizer at 0 degrees too?  My HS is not adjustable like yours.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Neutral 0 degrees

Up 21.5 degrees

Down 12.5 degrees

Total travel 34 degrees.

Thanks for that info.  I worked on my mockup aileron controls last night and measured about 22 up and 14 down with digital anglefinder - since my measurements are probably about plus or minus 3 degrees, that is probably close enough to start making the real parts which will be adjustable.  I don't think you will need anywhere near that much travel unless you do aerobatics or maybe fighting a strong crosswind, and I don't do aerobatics.

Is that "Neutral 0 degrees" with the horizontal stabilizer at 0 degrees too?  My HS is not adjustable like yours.

EdMO

Yes the flaperons are very effective ailerons.  The only time I push the stick all the way to the stop is forward slip and then it seems the plane is flying sideways.

The horizontal stab front mount bolt is in the middle hole which is 2.8 degrees down in front.  The top hole is 1.5 degrees down.  It flys level hands off in the middle hole.  By the manual the flaperons are rigged in relation to wing incidence.

Horizontal incidence1.jpg

Posted (edited)

My wing incidence is different than your model 4 - my ailerons probably have to be set by guesstimate and adjusted after test flights.  They are going to be 6 feet long and 15 inches chord, leaving room for 6.5 feet of "real" flaps of the same chord with their own control.  Mine is real "experimental", and not "Kitmental"!  Ha!

I really appreciate your info.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO