Manu's Avid C

52 posts in this topic

Posted

Working on trim : Ray allen servo with a 0$ switch coming from Peugeot 205 electric window switch, tested it, works perfectly, i do not have the level gauge but i assume a visual check neutral in preflight.

the servo will be inserted and bolted on a wood plate i made before covering

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.4f99bf3d00018c0232d0a

the tab is an assembly of a piece of trailing edge riveted with a U sheet

IMG_3141.thumb.JPG.5d1ae4f532b7b13c7644e

Posted

Looks good ,will there be a travel limit so if in the unlikely event of a stuck switch runaway you can still fly the plane?With the electric window switch,is the load limit built into the switch or is it somehow in the mechanism .This probably isn't an issue with the trim but I have often wondered if they could be used to control an ivo prop.

Posted

the end of course is in servo , it stops automatically in the two directions

on the allen paper, they say put 1amp fuse on the line, that's all. btw ray allen switch is very near mine. it's mechanical switch inverter

Posted

Brilliant work on the wings!  On the cowl bulge, I was contemplating making one, but find myself pulling a spark plug  or two to clear off oil almost every time I fly, as otherwise I have a hard time hand-starting the engine.  In my view this is the chief disadvantage of the inverted engine, at least burning premix.  I now am just going to leave that hole in my cowl to allow front-cylinder spark plug access without cowl removal.   I agree that the gap between flaperon leading edge and wing trailing edge is not optimal aerodynamically, but may be necessary for folding.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

it takes time .. but .. finally trim is done :  with car glass switch, it works perfectly. i used rc plane connections and wire so i can easily disconnect trim from elevator and stab from fuselage.

the switch is on panel near the throttle command, so i can activate it with only a finger without pull hand from command. same for radio red button. allowing   to use them with no matter if pilot is left or right side 

IMG_3386.JPG

Edited by efil 01

Posted

Very well done!  I look forward to your flight testing, with your improved wings, and this excellent trim installation!  I suspect that the standard Avid trim tab is bigger than it needs to be, so it will be very interesting to see if your "add-on" tab approach works adequately.  I have only a stick-force mitigation setup, similar to JimChuk's, which almost works, but there's no substitute for a real trim system..

Posted (edited)

thx turbo, we already have talk here about trim:

the diff between real tab and stick force mitigation is in case of broken linkage , with tab you can keep control on flying.

Edited by efil 01

Posted

Working on water lines. the water lines are made with inox bending tubing, it is miraculous how you can fit it anywhere you want, i recommend use this on our little plane, approx 20 euro per meter, i needed 2 meters

IMG_3408.thumb.jpg.664245a93ead090753639

1 person likes this

Posted

Love this idea for tubing! Anybody out there know where we can get that in the states?

Posted (edited)

Good point on trim vs stick-force mitigation.  My concern regarding trim setup comes from realization that elevator is not balanced - all area is behind the hingeline.  If your trimtab is too small, deflection for landing approach trim may be large, or you may be unable to trim to final approach speed with CG fully forward.  Of course, more trimtab span is available if what you have is insufficient.  I expect that you will be o.k., as I believe the mark 4 tab is bigger than it needs to be.   If your setup is successful I might just do something similar.  

Edited by Turbo

Posted

Say, Manu,

Have you had a chance to fly, and assess the adequacy of your add-on trimtab?  If so, and you think deflections for landing trim are not excessive, I am keen to do something similar.

My bird is a bit nose-heavy, so that's why I'm concerned.  Thanks.

Posted

hello turbo, no i didn't flew yet , but now will work hard on bird with good weather days :)

Posted

hello, finally the major work is done, only have to do wiring , fuel line and rigging.

yesterday i deployed the plane, it was like a big present in the garden.

i realy feel happy to have a new plane so vintage, from the 80's the avid now a kind of collector, now the pics :

my best hunting :

IMG_3569.thumb.JPG.bbbd68037d8f732ad622b

Chritmas present in the garden :

IMG_3573.thumb.JPG.a4b1a712cff29a9d8f0c6IMG_3577.thumb.JPG.0d8986c81d81ff38d7218

the pitot made after all, not so difficult to put tube in the covered wing

IMG_3565.thumb.JPG.7ec1265d7e3dc3ff03edf 

avid 

IMG_3582.thumb.JPG.a42ee1d383353eac8b902IMG_3579.thumb.JPG.da8e112a5b8de2359c68b

5 people like this

Posted

:unsure:     hi all!!!!

those times give some time to work on the  avid

today i started the engine, this means plane is finished. 

i put 5 liter of mixed gas in tank, checked all , pressed 3 times the bubble, engaged contacts, choke, and pulled the rope; on the first try the engine wanted to live; i turned off the choke, and he started at the third pull. running smoothly. idle is great at 1800rpm,,i can go much lower but not very confortable. i got more of 5000 at full power static(iis it enough?) i run a wood  propeller.

the temps are right in the green, water temp 140/150 F, egt between 800 and 1050 F, i saw the top egt at 4300 rpm, i guess this is the rpm to avoid inflight.

then i lost rpm indicator, as i run the digital avid gauges, i don't kown for now if this comes from engine or instrument; btw, i think to put a tiny tach 

then i saw liquid coolant spaying on the firewall.. after a quick search i found a micro hole in the alloy bottle. 

Even with those little issues, i feel very happy of this first start.

i was  afraid of the pull start, but it's ending to be very easy, and i'm happy to have keep the plane very simple; i didn't do the weigh balance yet;

next operation: move the plane to the airfield, a very quite place with a big and long grass runway

:BC:

4 people like this

Posted

Exciting times Manu! Congratulations!

It sounds like you have too much propeller for it, full throttle static RPMs should be about 6,200.

Posted

Very pretty plane! So clean!

1 person likes this

Posted

Exciting times Manu! Congratulations!

It sounds like you have too much propeller for it, full throttle static RPMs should be about 6,200.

this is the wood speedwing prop, so i admit it turns lower rpm static but with the rpm issue appeared 5 min after start, i wonder if the numbers were good, i'll wait till the tiny tach to verify this.

Posted (edited)

Many of us do not use the tach gauge, the Tiny Tach is much more accurate and much more reliable. Beware of the china tiny tach copies, they can be very unreliable.

You have a beautiful airplane, good luck!

Edited by nlappos

Posted

hi

some news..

i ve checked the empty weigh today : it comes at 200 kg / 440 lb with 5 liters of gaz.. not bad :)

about roll connections, i read in book the connections must be tied strong because flutter, but i feel they are not enough soft, btw i did not checked yet in relative wind.

what do you think they are on your plane?

Posted

hi

so i (we) made the first flight

with a friend (instructor pilot) we made some roll tests, and then a little jump; the plane was so sweet this little jump ended to a full flight straight up in sky.

climbing at 60 mph and 6600 rpm, full throttle, egt  quickly jumped to 1300, when on floor full throttle, they never go over 1150; after release some pwr, they gone in the 1100 1200 range.

if some have some suggestion about that...

stall W/O flap 35 mph, 32 with flaps. very gentle ; parachuting without brake falling tendency. the plane is a bit nose hvy even with full trim. if turbo is still there he can say something perhaps.is it not too short?

i guess got a CG forward, but in landing i've got full control, the flap are not very needed 

approach at 55 with 2 passengers is good,

for now, i feel my custom wing is a good choice       :BC:

104678680_3120658737956981_5497378953165

Posted

I would add some pitch to the prop.  That should lower the EGTs to a less scary amount.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

sure but it is a 2 blade wood prop i can't pitch giving 6200 static, the firstl one  was only 5000 rpm static, do i try it in air?

btw i cheked plugs today,: they are perfect chocolate color

about nose hvy, i forgot to say i had checked with joey file xls, the cg was at 13,4 with my "hvy" test pilot onboard  in middle range 

Edited by efil 01

Posted

sure but it is a 2 blade wood prop i can't pitch giving 6200 static, the firstl one  was only 5000 rpm static, do i try it in air?

Is it a fixed blade prop or ground adjustable?  If it's adjustable, I would add some more pitch.  1300 is scary if the gauge is accurate.  The sounds of silence was a great song in the 60s, not so great in the air... JImChuk

Posted

Richen the mixture