2015 lodge trip pics

37 posts in this topic

Posted

You would be surprised, there was a group of guys that flew their kit fox up here every year for several years in a row.  it really didn't take them that long to get up here.

I didn't know you could fly light sports or EAb planes through Canada?

Same as any registered plane - Maybe they have a different classification for them in Canada - Long ago you had to have 12" N numbers, but think they don't enforce that now - there are lots of things that they do enforce and you have to stop at border airports both ways for inspections.

EDMO

Posted

The airplanes are not the issue.

The hang up is the light sport pilot's certificate.  The Canadian government does not recognize this license.

Posted

The airplanes are not the issue.

The hang up is the light sport pilot's certificate.  The Canadian government does not recognize this license.

Guess they don't accept the Private or Commercial certificate without a medical either?

EDMO

Posted

Time will tell if they accept an American Private Pilot certificate under the PBOR2 rules.

Right now if your medical is expired, you can't fly in Canadian airspace.

Posted

Time will tell if they accept an American Private Pilot certificate under the PBOR2 rules.

Right now if your medical is expired, you can't fly in Canadian airspace.

I have made my last trip to Alaska anyway, unless it is in a 757 or something as a passenger.

EDMO

Posted

I think it is based on your pilot certificate...ppl & up only.

Then again I may be wrong..

Posted

I am wondering how often they check you for this stuff. Millions of people drive everyday with out incident that don't have insurance. Not condoning that at all, just saying...

Posted

You have to check in when you cross the border.  That is when they would get you.  Otherwise if you have an accident and you get to talk to someone you would rather not talk to.   Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You have to check in when you cross the border.  That is when they would get you.  Otherwise if you have an accident and you get to talk to someone you would rather not talk to.   Jim Chuk

Just trying to remember some of the requirements for Canada crossing:  Costly Canadian charts, Canada flight plan and following, and continued check-ins by radio, survival gear.   Alaska additionally requires a gun and ammo, lights on at all times, strobes or beacons,  NO pistols thru Canada, but better have some kind of NON-military weapon with very small mag capacity - Shotgun with shot and slugs even better. Max ammo is 200 rounds.   Fill out firearms sheet BEFORE arrival in Canada.  At one time it was 12" numbers to cross Defense Zones, and Canada would not OK any portable gas tanks or rubber lines inside of plane, and transponder, but I hear that they don't enforce that as much now.  Probably more than I can think of right now.  You can get complete info from Canada.  Passports are now needed too - it used to be only a US driver's license or Pilots license.  My last trip by truck was 2008.

You can fly non-stop Commercial without any of the above - about 6 hour flight from St. Louis.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just trying to remember some of the requirements for Canada crossing:  Costly Canadian charts, Canada flight plan and following, and continued check-ins by radio, survival gear.   Alaska additionally requires a gun and ammo, lights on at all times, strobes or beacons,  NO pistols thru Canada, but better have some kind of NON-military weapon with very small mag capacity - Shotgun with shot and slugs even better. Max ammo is 200 rounds.   Fill out firearms sheet BEFORE arrival in Canada.  At one time it was 12" numbers to cross Defense Zones, and Canada would not OK any portable gas tanks or rubber lines inside of plane, and transponder, but I hear that they don't enforce that as much now.  Probably more than I can think of right now.  You can get complete info from Canada.  Passports are now needed too - it used to be only a US driver's license or Pilots license.  My last trip by truck was 2008.

Yeesh!   Plenty of places to fly in the US & Bahamas for me before I start trying to complete that checklist. :P

Posted

Yeesh!   Plenty of places to fly in the US & Bahamas for me before I start trying to complete that checklist. :P

I don't recommend Mexico or South of there either!  It would take something more than WW3 to get me out of the good ole US of A any more!

EDMO

2 people like this

Posted

Amen to that, Ed.

1 person likes this