2015 lodge trip pics

37 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally got to make a lodge run with my baby girl.  nice flight up here then the snow hit.  I tried to make a supply run today but the weather dropped in and I turned around after about 5 miles.  Back at the lodge tied down and ready to go cut wood.

tmp_14136-20151211_134941-2107521306.jpg

tmp_14136-20151211_1407521227801048.jpg

tmp_14136-20151212_1157421814994329.jpg

tmp_14136-20151211_134959-293100075.jpg

7 people like this

Posted

Pretty swanky looking lodge.  Is that electric lights I see in the background?  Next you'll say there's indoor plumbing, too...

2 people like this

Posted

Pretty swanky looking lodge.  Is that electric lights I see in the background?  Next you'll say there's indoor plumbing, too...

electric lights on Gen power.  indoor plumbing, satellite tv, Internet and a sweet sauna.  all a feller needs for remote living!  :bc:

Posted

Looks like a slice of heaven!  

1 person likes this

Posted

awesome leni!  looks amazing!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni Man,

That is wonderful, especially that first pic with the 2 of you!  Are those kids headsets?  We're about to get the Avid back in the air and Mason, my 2 yr old grandson, said he'd take me with him if I behaved:lmao:!  Do the little people need a smaller pair of headsets? Bryce

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My 4 year old used regular headsets - we took one of the thick sheepskin car seat-belt shoulder pads and wrapped it around the head-support strap as a pad to make it fit exactly over her ears.  Always a way to do things...Maybe some kinds will adjust small enough?

We never had headsets when I was young and riding in a Stearman - Maybe between that and being in an Artillery unit is why I don't hear so well now?

EDMO 

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm sure your hearing is just fine. It's probably just that you choose to ignore select individuals :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes, I've also noticed as I get older my 'husband hearing' has been expanding to additional individuals..... :)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

While I was at the lodge a major weather system came in.  It kept me hunkered down for a few days and I was a little bored so I after a few toddies I made this video showing the new tie downs I bought from a buy on Back Country Pilot.  If you look close in the video you can also see my redneck belly pod I put on at the last minute to help carry more supplies.  Its a $36 snow sled that I just used 2 ratchet straps to suck up under the belly.  I did not even notice it was there when flying.  I am going to play around with a larger sled when I get back home and I will take more pics.

Edited by akflyer
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

After my first run there I made a couple of supply runs for them.  The last one the weather system was catching up to me and I barely beat it to the lodge.

20151213_151726.thumb.jpg.b73d0d0d57fe55

Headed up with a load of supplies, picked up a lil tail wind.

20151213_151731.thumb.jpg.09bc7f42497cc7

The visibility was awesome.... but I will take this view over flying too low over the water and the possibility of an engine out and having to swim in amongst the ice floes.

20151213_151738.thumb.jpg.0da0d68159ef2c

20151215_133644.thumb.jpg.656ae62748f5f2

Back at the lodge.  It was a hairy trip in more ways than one.  The winds were picking up and it was moderate to severe turbulence (reported by the big boys in the area so you know I got the ever loving crap kicked out of me) very limited visibility and I picked up a little over 1/8" of ice.

20151215_160541.thumb.jpg.f4f0a140289192

3 days later the weather broke and it was time to get out of dodge.

20151216_113501.thumb.jpg.5869bcbcc4b16a

Redneck hanger to de-ice the plane.  The snow that had fallen on it had nothing to do with the ice on the plane, I picked that up on the way in.  brushing the snow off was easy, getting rid of the ice took a bit more effort.

20151216_122237.thumb.jpg.ef403888ade39a

My engine preheater worked well inside the redneck hangar helping out the propane heater on the other end of the wing.  Without my engine preheater there was not enough heat to billow the tarp up like a hot air balloon.  With the extra heat from the preheater it billowed up the tarp and had water running off the plane in no time!

20151216_122608.thumb.jpg.c81d76a6fab41720151216_124131.thumb.jpg.5a46b054476809The ice... Not recommended but the plane handled the ice quite well.  

Edited by akflyer
3 people like this

Posted

Leni Man,

That is wonderful, especially that first pic with the 2 of you!  Are those kids headsets?  We're about to get the Avid back in the air and Mason, my 2 yr old grandson, said he'd take me with him if I behaved:lmao:!  Do the little people need a smaller pair of headsets? Bryce

image.jpeg

Sorry Mr, I replied to this from my phone at the lodge but it does not look it stuck.  The regular head sets with the gel seals on them work fine for her.  They stay on and don't move around.  I tried to get her to let me put ear plugs in under them but that was a no go.  After about 5 seconds she would rip the plugs out.  I do worry about hurting her hearing as those little ears are sensitive.  I was thinking about putting a head band over the head sets to help lock them down when she nods off and her head is flopping around. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

If you don't want it on the open forum that's okay, but how about a google earth map of where the lodge is?

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't have any issues on where the lodge is.  you can find it at http://www.alaskafishcreeklodge.com/

I am going to make a FB page for them to help get the word out.  I will pull up a google map of the place as well.

Posted (edited)

https://goo.gl/maps/ewD79pKcQEv

If you're flying in our GPS Co-ords are
N61.57.602
W150.57.839

Maps is being a pain in the butt and not saving my markers..

Edited by akflyer

Posted (edited)

Edited by akflyer

Posted (edited)

Your low visibility pics give me the willies!  I took off into some fog waiting for me just beyond the runway end the other morning and had a total white out until ~1200'  - that was only a little over a minute.  I can't imagine what it must be like for you up there!

That lodge and the nature around it looks so peaceful.  I don't think my little Avid would make it all the way there before spring though... :P

12-21-2015 8-55-17 PM.jpg

Edited by Knuckledragger
1 person likes this

Posted

You would be surprised, there was a group of guys that flew their kit fox up here every year for several years in a row.  it really didn't take them that long to get up here.

Posted

Cool trip report Leni.  Glad I wasn't with you for that one in the freezing fog and turbulence though.

Are you home for a while or back at work again?  Let me know when you will be out at the lodge next time.

1 person likes this

Posted

Howdy Randy. I am hoping to make another run to the lodge between the 4th and the 8th.  

Posted

Wow, it sure is pretty up there. A bit cold for me though! ;) Love the camp also. No skis on the plane yet?

1 person likes this

Posted

no skis yet.  I don't have any snow at the home runway to take off from and there wasn't ANY snow on the lake when I landed.. there is now!  But he keeps the airstrip on the lake groomed and packed so I can land there on wheels all winter.

As soon as we get some snow at the house I will be putting the skis on for sure!

Posted

I don't have any regular days off that week but if I weather is good I may have to.  Will see how it looks then.  I'll keep in touch.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds good  depends on when my daughter gets back from a trip to az with her mom.  will stay in touch mr!

Posted

You would be surprised, there was a group of guys that flew their kit fox up here every year for several years in a row.  it really didn't take them that long to get up here.

I didn't know you could fly light sports or EAb planes through Canada?