Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 Muffler Support Brackets

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have an Avid MK IV with a 582 and need the two steel muffler support brackets that hang the muffler below the engine. anyone have them, shown below? thanks, Nick

MUFFLERSUPPORTS.jpg

Posted

What you have is not uncommon.  Had some cracking on a couple of Avids also.  Here is the solution I would suggest.  It also gives you a bunch of room for a heat shroud if you want to install one.  I bolted the aluminum angels to the firewall, and did some ugly but effective welding on the muffler.  Rubber belting connects the two and removes most of the vibration that causes the standard mount to crack.   I have the original mount you want, but I can't get to it for a while.  Jim Chuk

firewall muffler mt + heat muff 018 (Large).jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Great idea, 1avidflyer. I can rig up something like that, I am sure. Thanks!

Posted

Had the old brackets repaired at a local welding shop (my welds look like the display window at a fudge shop).

Posted

Hope it holds!

Posted

Good call to restore the old mounts.  Any support off/to the fire wall seems a bad idea to me -- seems would inhibit requisite eng movement.  I've had to reweld mine as well and added some stiffness to those tabs at the eng side.  The problem is the eng side does not have the rubber vibration absorption mounting like the exhaust side.  If you could come up with a solution for that you'll be a hero.

Posted

Mine is mounted to the firewall using 1" rubber stand offs. I have the newer style motor mount. 

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

I had the welding shop repair the cracked ends, and then build up those end tabs to more than twice their original thickness, so the bending strength is considerably better. Part of my problem is that I seem to be missing a brace. The build book shows an aft diagonal brace that ties the two side brackets together laterally, making them a box and preventing side to side motion, and I don't have that one.