Leni's my hero...

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Stirring up the shit again over at BCP!

I've been watching the PBOR2 thread over there waiting on someone to call out the armchair cynics.  Guess who just did?  What a bunch fm half assed uninformed opinions making concrete statements before the f'ing thing is even passed through the house...

link

Edited by Av8r3400
2 people like this

Posted

A couple of choice threads steered me away from BCP about the time of our tragic day at the High Sierra Fly-In. I kept trying to go back and every time I did I didn't even make thru the top 10 threads without getting spun up reading some kind of political or BS thread. It's became AOPA over there. People that fly $100,000 + airplanes, armchair quarterback everything anyone does, and talk politics from their keyboard does not interest me. I've made some great contacts and great friends from there who I keep in touch with offline but I have not posted on the forum in a long long time and I don't post on their FB page. 

2 people like this

Posted

I hear ya, Joey.  For the record those are more like $200k spam cans.

Posted (edited)

Jus doin mah civik dooty suh.

some feller kneeded  ta step up n kick sum nutz n I done figgered it auta be mi!

:BC:

Edited by akflyer
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Done ya cee mah one on da wing ding vortices?   :dunno: 

Edited by akflyer

Posted

At least there's hope for people who know the difference between a Jodel and a DR400... I'm staying at least a mile clear of that one.

:bday:

Captain Lenny: Have I ever told you the story of cleaning out a hangar with a Antonov AN-2?

Medical "reform" will fix it all. Before you know it, 30 - 1.000.000 new students will sign up, GAMA will need to adjust its statistics.

AOPA will grow to the size of NRA. The President will declare GA a protected species. FAA will be abolished in 2016.

Soon, the skies will be blackened from all the general aviation aeroplanes flying all over. You'll be glad if you see spots of blue, up there.

Cessna is going back to the drawing table. Beechcraft is working on a Baron Light. Piper is bringing back the PA18.

Pure gold will rain from the sky. Average wait time to get a 172 delivered will be ~ 6 years maybe 12, due to all the demand.

P.S.: Does anyone have a good source for pre-owned fire hoses? My Koolaid straw isn't big enough.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think I've made 2 or 3 cautionary posts on that thread warning that NOTHING is settled until the Senate and House bills are reconciled.  I don't think it will ever be signed by the president either; but I'm generally a pessimist.  The thread certainly has become a "world ends etc."  that's for sure.  I saw Leni's post right after it went up.  Way to go Mister. 

I don't hang there much any more either mostly because of the high dollar focus of just about everything.  

1 person likes this

Posted

At least there's hope for people who know the difference between a Jodel and a DR400... I'm staying at least a mile clear of that one.

:bday:

Captain Lenny: Have I ever told you the story of cleaning out a hangar with a Antonov AN-2?

Medical "reform" will fix it all. Before you know it, 30 - 1.000.000 new students will sign up, GAMA will need to adjust its statistics.

AOPA will grow to the size of NRA. The President will declare GA a protected species. FAA will be abolished in 2016.

Soon, the skies will be blackened from all the general aviation aeroplanes flying all over. You'll be glad if you see spots of blue, up there.

Cessna is going back to the drawing table. Beechcraft is working on a Baron Light. Piper is bringing back the PA18.

Pure gold will rain from the sky. Average wait time to get a 172 delivered will be ~ 6 years maybe 12, due to all the demand.

P.S.: Does anyone have a good source for pre-owned fire hoses? My Koolaid straw isn't big enough.

Trust me, I am not jumping up and down for joy thinking that we are going to the sky's filled with planes again and all the old fellers are going to be back in their 206's flying with no medical.. But in this day and age, ANY forward progress from the government I consider a win.  Even if it only means that 20-30% more people will be able to get back in the sky's I take that as a win for general aviation.  I would rather see something loosened up a bit that to get tightened up which is how its been going for years.

I would much rather have seen it pass as originally written, but we all know that shit will never happen so we end up taking what we can get (right, wrong or indifferent).  It is at least a starting point to get further legislation pushed through in the near future is my hopes.

1 person likes this

Posted

It really just gives relief to the current special issuance pilots like me.  It works for me just fine so I'm happy with it.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

gregpro - I think everyone is hopeful that the legislation (even as currently written) will actually bring relief for S.I. candidates. The only reason I supported (by calling, writing and sharing the topic at every turn) it, is that some of my closer friends are S.I. people whom I'd like to see able to fly again, possibly before they turn 109 years old. I also believe that medical certificates issued currently are worthless and nothing but a panicked, self-induced limiter we may have needed in the 50's, when everyone thought to be a pilot. A momentary snapshot of a persons health, useless and worthless before the ink on the certificate is dry. Back then it may have deterred some walking time-bombs from warming the sheepskin, but today it seems to be just another stumbling stone for many experienced pilots. Its not the lack of medical capacity, that prevents youngsters from starting to fly. Medicals are a regulatory dinosaur in my eyes. Even AME's laugh about their purpose and effect on "safety".

As stated on the other site and on my own, I always wonder whats behind certain changes to bills, experience shows that usually nothing good is going on behind the curtain. FAA is taking notes from EASA on Psych Evaluations and eventually we will loose national sovereignty on determining medical certification procedures. Globalization-effects. 

I also think that the FAA has no intention of leaving the sport pilot situation as easy as it is. No, there is no language indicating that (just a hunch), so I can't refer to any "document". The reason I am paranoid about unintended consequences is, that whatever you can imagine in terms of idiocy, is likely already being worked on.

As a live example of this endless idiocy, I would like to refer to an issue that has been plaguing seaplane pilots for close to a decade. Invasive species. Quickly picked up as a convenient topic to act progressively and proactively upon, seaplane pilots (along with boaters) were quick to adopt measures to mitigate the issue of spreading invasive species. No other user group of navigable water has been more proactive and cooperative in trying to avoid this stuff, knowing full well that initial infestation source and cause remain a big  question sign. Heck, they even made videos, pamphlets and online courses, including a little certificate for people to print. I failed the course (jokingly), because I refused to pressure wash or drown my dog in Clorox.

Over time it became often repeated doctrine to refer to seaplanes as "causative" or "conductive" to transporting invasive species. Discrimination, based on affiliation.

In Connecticut, a mayor recently stated the following and remained completely unchallenged. There should have been a roar going through our industry, but reaction was about as interesting as calling to yet another puzzle afternoon at the nursing home. "yeah... sum bum will look into it, blah blah". All set.

“Whether these plane’s bring in invasive species is an interesting question,” Marsicano said. “I do know that after a very busy weekend, we see rafts of pieces of invasive aquatic plants that have been cut up by the planes’ propellers. These species propagate from cut sections.”

In Manitoba, Canada, new legislation recently passed, prohibiting seaplane pilots to even pump their floats into the body of water they are on. LInk: http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/waterstewardship/stopais/legislation.html

You now have to have an extra container to dispose of the "contaminated" water. Everyone with half a brain must be puking and shitting bricks at the same time! Things like this traditionally spread like cancer. 2016 will be an interesting year for us, yet we sit there in stoic ignorance, defeated by our own unwillingness to work together. Instead, we'd spend half a decade to stonewall and silence inconvenient voices, rather than stopping this insanity. Corvus oculum corvi non eruit. Status Quo has something to do with it, too. The message: Don't you dare challenge the Kings and Lords, you don't belong here.

Many peeps would be well advised to acknowledge and accept that they may be 10 points away from being a Special Issuance candidate. It doesn't take much. Those who now say: "Screw it, I am flying sport, what do I care?" will have some funny faces when the FAA decides to bring Sport & New Medical Reform Private Pilots closer together. Our enemies (citizen groups, NIMBY folks, liberals) will eventually start focusing on these discrepancies. They started focusing on the noise, the lead in our gas, no flightplans, just as predicted. Eventually the question will come: "How come Joe Blow has to go see a doctor, but this guy with the Ultralight who just crashed on my property, doesn't?" Obviously, Joe Blow is safer! No proof, no concept, no reality, just a concerned citizen group, reaching out to mommy. Picture perfect radical liberalism, at work. Action will have to be taken.  

Talking about this stuff is frowned upon, people don't like the topic. If anything, we should be positive about the fact that this medical reform was even possible. I never thought we'd get this much collective movement into a traditionally passive and deeply divided community of people. Maybe some of this momentum can be kept and used to try this again, one day. When you fill out a government form, there are instructions on that form that tell you how to fill it out and WHY you need to fill it out.

Until someone comes down into my trenches and explains to me WHY I should have a medical to fly a rotten 182, and how exactly my having this medical certificate increases safety, I will revolt and oppose and ask for justification. I can drive a 40 ton truck full of Hazmat all over Europe and never get my ass violated. Why the fudge would someone want to stick something up my ass to determine my ability to fly, when a 300 pound Mall Whale can drive her five offspring around in a 8000 pound SUV, going at equal speed without a hurting anus...

Excuuuse me... Equality goes both ways.

Edited by jjbaker
3 people like this

Posted

Why the fudge would someone want to stick something up my ass to determine my ability to fly, when a 300 pound Mall Whale can drive her five offspring around in a 8000 pound SUV, going at equal speed without a hurting anus...

It's a government agency. Most of them are fudge packers looking to save their job/justify their existence.

Lou

2 people like this

Posted

I agree.  The medicals are completely worthless.  I know in my particular case if I never checked one particular box in the application my medical would have been issued right then and there and no one would have ever known.  The current setup actually encourages pilots to be dishonest with their AME.  I think the medicals came about simply to pacify the general public and give them the warm and fuzzies by making them think the government actually has control. 

The whole invasive species thing strikes a nerve with me too.  They are trying to pass all kinds of regulations on the lake I grew up on.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Lou. I forgot. :o)

Greg, feel free to contact me via seaplaneforum@gmail.com if there are issues on a lake you live at. Even if you're not a seaplane pilot you're more than welcome to share such concerns with the gang to see what can be done to help out. One of the large issues we have is frozen communication and getting stonewalled to death. Its quite a bummer when you learn of a seaplane issue through the freaking tabloid press, but part of the agenda referred to above. Some of the issues surfacing today are several years old - by the time we learn whats going on, there's almost no time to do anything of value. There's lots of passionate people in NY and surrounding states, just not all of them belong to any cliques.

Thanks for reading my paranoid crap on medical reform. Sorry for being so lengthy. Part of it is trying to explain my reasoning for being a bit loony, part of it is to try and get people to ask questions and read the actual content of stuff that is posted. I know it costs time and requires effort, but I think making the effort will pay off in the end. Some people have been flabbergasted that PBOR2 did in fact not duplicate the sport pilot rules. The high expectations some have are a recipe for disappointment. This Tiger doesn't have many teeth. It sure is better than nothing - even if just to demonstrate that we could, if we would...

There is a lot of smoke. Maybe we'll see some fire at some point?

2 people like this

Posted

My turn.  In one of the "drone" threads. 

I'm about done with BCP. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Merry Christmas Larry and the rest of the gang here!

:lol:  you get into the hooch last night :dunno:  

Way to :nutkick:  over there.  I guess we are not cool enough to be in the BCP crowd.  We don't fly real airplanes nor do any back country stuff.  I do agree with some of your sentiment over there however; The use of the word "drone" is a sore spot with me.  If they are flying quad copters with cameras on them I don't see a big issue.  I have several of them myself.  It is the guys that are going  beyond visual sight range and replying solely on the FPV that I have issues with.  I have been an avid modeler since I could walk.  My dad got me into the hobby as a wee young lad and I have stuck with it ever since.  I am not as active in the local model club as I once was but I do keep my AMA membership and my contest directors status current.  Our club flew out of the local airport for almost 30 years before the 911 crack down on all things at the airports.  Never once did we have a near miss as we had rules for spotter pilots to keep an eye out for full scale traffic and we always tried to follow the rules.  Yes there were a few close calls with out of control models and guys who should not be flying them, but that was more crashes into the pit area not into other aircraft. 

I truly wish the medial would stop calling these things "drones" as that makes people think of military type aircraft not a 2 pound quadcopter.

Posted

Merry Christmas, Larry. And Merry Christmas everyone else.

If Professor Perry helps, we could do one or two "Aviation Forum Popularity 101" classes for everyone.

1 person likes this

Posted

Merry Christmas, Larry. And Merry Christmas everyone else.

If Professor Perry helps, we could do one or two "Aviation Forum Popularity 101" classes for everyone.

I will start... who cares what someone else said about ya or to ya on the internet.  The web is full of key board commandos!  You get what you pay for.  Take a look at the advice given, weight it against what you know or feel, then move forward from there.  Just because a technique works for me as a well practiced maneuver DOES NOT mean that you next flight you will nail the numbers and touch down within 5-10' of your intended target.  

Don't be afraid to buck the popular opinion or the establishment. The country was founded by rebels and no one ever figures out something new by running in the pack of sheep.  Every once in awhile you gotta be the lobo wolf and break out on your own.  This makes you very popular when you call out the "god of all things aviation" on another site :lmao:

Above all, have fun and be yourself!

1 person likes this