New guy bought eBay avid magnum

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi earned my private ppl in 2009 haven't flown in a few years gonna be a little rusty plus gonna have to get some tail wheel . I been searching for a kit fox or avid for several years and finally bought a magnum on eBay few weeks ago that someone posted in the classifieds .I drove 26 hrs round Tripp straight and brought it to Louisiana from New Mexico that was a haul lol !!! . I feel like I got a good deal for 7,500 . The plane was ground looped and bent a couple tubes that I'm already repairing it has 47 hrs airframe and the builder bought the lycoming engine new in 2001 and it has 47 hrs also .looked  in the cylinders they looked new so I got it running and it runs fine .I was wondering why there's not much on the magnums out there ? We're there not that many finished and flying seems like a good airplane . Also I have a four blade warp drive prop what do you guys think about the four blade I've never seen a four blade on a plane like this . Anybody know of some plans or builders Manuel that someone might have for sale I didn't get any with it . I will try to post a few Picts thanks for any info .  Toby Evans ,,   Shreveport ,La    Also are there any avid/kitfoxeres around north Louisiana ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Tony,  Sounds like you really got a good deal on the Magnum.

Re: 4-blade prop - I think that the reason most use a 3-blade is because of the firing impulses of the 4 cylinder engine are sort of tuned out by it.  You might get better performance out of a 2-blade larger prop?

Check out what kind of tailwheel that is on it - A few bucks for a Matco pneumatic might save your from another groundloop.

I have one of the early Magnum Builder's Manuals - I don't really need it - If you want it for $120 postage paid, you can send me a check.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the reply Edmo It has a maule # tw-101 tail wheel I was reading somewhere on here it could cause ground loop not sure why . Something about the way it locks I don't know much about how it works but I read were they say there was a way to make it fully swivel for new tail wheel pilots . Not sure what all that means just yet .What is different about the Matco wheel? 

Posted (edited)

Tony,  all I can tell you is that the tailwheelers swear by the Matco tailwheels, and many of us have sworn at the Maule 101.... Maybe if you post the question in the General Hanger, you will get several answers?

I can see what it would cost to copy my manual for you at UPS, but I think I gave more than I am asking for my original.  If you want it, I will PM my address to you.

What size is that Lycoming?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I agree with Ed,  looks like you did pretty well on the plane.  A guy near me has a Magnum, and he also has a 4 blade warp drive prop.  From what I've seen at a couple of fly ins both of us were at, it preformed pretty well.   I'm sure it's lighter than a heavy aluminum two blade. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Edmo it's a lycoming 0-320 160 hp  and if you don't mind send me your info I'll get the manual . You can text me @ 318-550-1739 thanks .   

1 person likes this

Posted

Edmo it's a lycoming 0-320 160 hp  and if you don't mind send me your info I'll get the manual . You can text me @ 318-550-1739 thanks .   

I will send you a PM on here - just click on the envelope at the top of the home page.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply Edmo It has a maule # tw-101 tail wheel I was reading somewhere on here it could cause ground loop not sure why . Something about the way it locks I don't know much about how it works but I read were they say there was a way to make it fully swivel for new tail wheel pilots . Not sure what all that means just yet .What is different about the Matco wheel? 

Tony -  Here's a comprehensive article on the Maule 101. Great tips within on rebuild and setup.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/maule_tailwheel.pdf

I have no complaints with mine other than a pneumatic tire would be likely an improvement over the solid rubber one.  Given the Maule's satisfactory operation I don't think spending several $$$ for another set up worth the price of admission.

I removed the cam actuator to prevent the unit from fully castoring.  It has helped considerably in helping keep things lined up straight in less than favorable landing situations while affording able to turn while taxing.

Looks like you have the old single leaf spring set up which was prone to not holding up.  Mine bent enough that the top of the Maule assy struck the bottom of rudder at one time. Some have reported them breaking.  Contact the folks at Wassau Springs 715-845-6335.  They have the 2 leaf, 1.5" wide springs specifically for the Mk lV.  It plugged and played perfectly with my Maule on my Mdl C.  It was 50 or $60 shipped a few yrs ago.

Paul

Edited by allonsye
content
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Edmo it's a lycoming 0-320 160 hp  and if you don't mind send me your info I'll get the manual .  

Yes sir, I'd say you got a deal!!! I paid that much for a IV that had no structural damage, but needed a LOT of renewing of parts.... With a two stroke string puller.

I want to see some stats on that thing when you get it going! T/O distance and max climb!!! That is one bad dude with a 160! Wow!!! And I thought my buddy's Cub did well with a 150!!! :o

And yes, I am a fellow Louisianian! :BC: Just about 200 miles away on the far east side of the state!

Edited by Fly-n-Low
1 person likes this

Posted

You may find a couple more of us displaced Coonasses here - Some even as far North as Alaska!   :BC:

EDMO

Posted (edited)

I agree with Ed,  looks like you did pretty well on the plane.  A guy near me has a Magnum, and he also has a 4 blade warp drive prop.  From what I've seen at a couple of fly ins both of us were at, it preformed pretty well.   I'm sure it's lighter than a heavy aluminum two blade. 

Jim,  I was thinking more about 3 or 2-blade plastic props - Maybe something like Larry or Chris put on their birds.  Aluminum might be cheaper, but agree that it would be heavier.  Wood works too, but not as durable.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Great find Toby!!!

Put some of your repair pics in the "Magnum" section so I don't feel so lonely...

I wonder if that 4 blade is doing much for you?  I've seen another Magnum with a 4 blade prop, so they must work...

$7500 is a steal!

I vote for a different Tailwheel too.  I had another type of aircraft that had a bad Tailwheel when I bought it and the first couple of landings were wild!  Put a new Tailwheel on and it was a tamed beast.

I have been looking at the Just STOL aircraft and they are using a lockable Tailwheel and boast that it prevents crosswind ground loops.  It is obviously harder on your brakes, because you use them for steering, but could be a good idea.  Another one like theirs is on the Bearhawk site.  I think I'm probably going with the steerable Matco...can't beat the price.

Anyone ever used a lockable Tailwheel on their Avid?

Glad to have you here Toby,

Ron

Posted

Any updates on this airplane??

Posted

Any updates on this airplane??

I would like to hear about it - If he needs an IP for it, I have one.   EDMO