Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru 2200

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I found a 2200 for a decent price and am considering stuffing it in to my kitfox model 1, Now my question is would I gain much over the 582, I hear these undercamber wings hit a 90 mph wall and thats about it. So other than burning way less fuel and sounding much better what are the benefits of it. Would I be able to cruise at 90 with the Jabiru  vs 75 to 80 with the 582

Posted

No liquid cooling of course and parts are generally cheaper with fewer parts count, no tuning  multi carbs and simpler operation.  That said it will depend which 2200 you are looking at.  The solid lifter engines are good but stay away from the early model with Al rods.  The early hydraulic lifter engines are not so good and the later hydraulic are very good.  So if it were me I would look for an engine between serial #1598-2067 these are solid lifter models with some other important mods and then engines after #3095 which are the later hyd with the 260 degree cam.

Posted

They got rid of the aluminum rods and had the better cooling heads from about # 450 or so onward.  I have serial # 903 and put about 450 hrs on it.  I think I would rather have the Jabiru than the 582 myself.  I usually burned about 4 gallons per hr. in the Jabiru.  Cruise was between 85 and 90.  Top end was about 100,  Didn't have the gear legs faired, that would help a bit for speed.   I never thought the 582 was real hard on fuel, but I usually cruised at 5000-5300 RPM with it.  That gave about 75 MPH and burned about 3.5 gal. per hr.  Take off performance wasn't any better with the Jabiru, probably because of the short prop that you need to run with the Jab.   YMMV  Jim Chuk

Posted

The jabiru is much more powerful that the 582 and the plane's performance will reflect that. It's a lot like an 80 HP 912 in that respect, except that it cannot swing as large a diameter prop. I guarantee if you mount the jab or 80 hp 912 your plane with under cambered wing it will push you back in the seat and blow right past 90 mph!

The jab is a simple install with no cooling water plumbing. However there are certain jab engines that are known for problems and I don't know much about that. Something to do with solid lifter versions?????? Anyway I do not know about that but you should thoroughly research before taking the plunge. I have seen the jab perform in an early Avid and it is VERY respectable!

The jab is not too much heavier than 582. 912 is quite a bit heavier, making the jab a better alternative on the lower gross weight avids and kf's.

Posted

Thanks for the replys guys, Where do you all find this stuff I have a jabiru 3300 sitting on the bench, and I cant find any info on it, Other than the jab usa forums but not much there. that is a A-33 2053 model

Posted

The files section in the Yahoo Jabiruengines list had all the changes listed by serial #.  That site is no longer being used unfortunately.  I'll try to get on it and see if I can get to those files.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

TJ the 3300 should be one of the later (good) hydraulic lifter engines.  I tried to copy the info from the jabiruengine site but didn't have the right software to get the job done.  Only users that were signed up before it was pulled down have access or I would post a link.

Maybe this will work;

_Jab 2200 Modifications by serial number.doc

_significant engine changes May 09.pdf

Edited by wypaul

Posted

hey Paul thanks for posting that, that is really cool to see all the changes,  I feel way smarter now ha, I emailed the guy today and asked him for the ss number of this 2200 we will see what he says.

Posted

Herman Pahls from the Kitfox list switched from a 532 to a 2200 Jab on his Kitfox model 1 and was disappointed. Switched to a 582 and was much happier. Short field takeoff was the problem due to lower thrust from the smaller prop.

Posted

Looks like the large finned heads came about in the 700s, not from 450 or so as I stated earlier.  Maybe Herman will chime in here, I think he is on this site as well.  I'm not sure, but I seem to remember he had an early engine.  Might have had the 32 MM carb even.   I know mine in my 585 lb. Avid MK IV did every bit as good on take off and climb as the 582.   I once timed it from the time I gave it throttle till I hit 500'AGL, and it was 48 seconds.  My 445 lb. Avid B with a 532 did the same in 33 seconds.  I'm at 1500' above sea level at my strip where I timed these take offs.  Temps were probably 70 - 75 F.   Probably had 20 gallons of fuel in the MK IV, and maybe 10 in the B model.   Jim Chuk