Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

High idle

10 posts in this topic

Posted

i have a 582 grey head with a rk clutch that I changed the idle jet from stock to a # 45 now the idle has gone up to around 2300 .i have turned the idle adjustment screw all the way out but no change . Anyone else experienced this? Thanks rusty

Posted

Are the slides in the carbs closing all the way? I'd check the throttle cables and make sure they are all in their places. If a casing comes part way out, it may become hung. I have also had sluggish cables and a pressure lube will usually fix that.

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions Flyn ,the slides are all the way down and the cables are all seated properly and operate smoothly. 

Posted

Check the boots for cracks and the seal of the boots on the carbs and intake to be sure air isn't getting in somewhere else.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Like said, it may be an air leak. Curious, what jet was in it to start with?

Edited by Fly-n-Low

Posted

Flyn the stock jet is # 55 , I have checked for leaks on the boots at the motor and the carbs. Not sure where to go from here. Any more help would be great. Thanks rusty

Posted

Try choking a little with your enrichment valve,if idle slows down and runs smooth you you may have a leak or too lean.You can spray boots with carb spray while its running and see if RPMs change.If you put the 45 jets back in does it run ok then? Randy

1 person likes this

Posted

I meant go back to the 55 jet not the 45

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions Flyn ,the slides are all the way down and the cables are all seated properly and operate smoothly. 

Just worth confirming... make sure the slide are bottomed against the individual idle adjustment screws (should "clunk" when you lower them as they make contact).  Another item that can cause this would be an air leak in your pulse line (behaves similar to a bad crankcase seal).

Posted (edited)

Hi all I figured out what the problem was . Apparently on a 582 with a clutch you have to file a small amount off the bottom of the carb slide and install a #35 idle jet. A member on the other site was having the same issue. So far I have filed down the slide, the idle is down to 1800 but I'm still very rich. I'm ordering the jets tonight I will post the results when I get done , thanks for your help

Edited by Jbird