Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Roller applied Polyspray ???

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have seen the sites where a roller and foam brush was used to apply latex housepaint over fabric - I wonder if anyone ever did that with Polyspray?

And, what was the result?

EDMO

Posted (edited)

I tried it just a bit, and it didn't come out very good.  Also started to eat up the glue in the roller and it started to come apart.  I was doing a 2.5' square patch on the belly and it wasn't pretty..  Good thing it didn't show much there.  Jim Chuk

PS  another thing I think makes it so different from latex, is it is so thin verses the latex.  You don't get the coverage like you would with a thicker viscosity paint

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thanks Jim.  I was mostly thinking about the UV coats, and then taking it to the paint shop after sanding.  Never hurts to ask!

EDMO

Posted

Spraying this stuff is real easy.  I had never spray painted anything except with rattle cans before, and have done 2 complete recovers so far and I think the paint came out real nice.  Both were with poly fiber products, using poly tone for the finish coat.  I would suggest painting it myself.  Now I will get in real trouble..... I never sanded the poly spray at all.  I thought it looked plenty smooth to me and shot the poly tone over it with no sanding.  I did have a few pinked edges that stand up, but I'm ok with that.  I used a Sears craftsman 30 compressor, that I already had, and a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I did a broom job when I had my fuel tank out on the Merlin GT using poly-stuff. No roller, just  regular brush. I doubt that a foam brush would hold up well under the MEK. 

It works, brush strokes are not too bad. It helps that it is not glossy and I did it it in white. Doesn't look as nice as the sprayed area, and takes some extra coats to really get a good coverage. Depends on how picky you are.

It's not bad to spray as long as you have a way to contain all the overspray (no way I would do it in my hanger with 3/4 high walls and aircraft on the other side). You want to have lots of cartridges on hand for your respirator and have good gloves - MEK is not human friendly stuff. The blue TSA style gloves are garbage. I got some "Heavy duty " black nitrile gloves http://www.harborfreight.com/9-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-50-pc-large-61744.html that worked.

Posted

An HVLP paint gun helps considerably with overspray.  It's not eliminated by any means, but it is greatly reduced. 

Laytex gloves are worthless.  Nitrile are easy to find and cheap. The gloveless hand cream stuff, IMO, is also worthless.