Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The perfect snow

21 posts in this topic

Posted

We got about 10" of new snow last night. Had to dig my way to the hanger but I got there. Installed my skis on the Avid and went out and had fun. With my wing jack I can get my main skis and tail ski on in about a hour and 15 minutes.

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0737.jpg

IMAG0738.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Nice!   My wife grew up in New Ulm and really misses the snow. 

Posted

No skis for me yet this year, but I was wading in the surf and casting a line out for whatever would bite.  Got another supper for me and the wife.   Picture was actually a couple of weeks ago, but I looked the same today :-)  I am missing the flying though fish or no fish.  Jim Chuk

12-12 3.jpg

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Mike,  Hope you are on high ground as the Old Miss crests down your way.  We are surrounded by flood waters after getting a foot of rain in 3 days.  Folks all around leaving their homes while others are sandbagging and waiting for record river crests to hit.  Lots of highways under water from here to both Springfields, and some levees have been topped.  That would have been 10 feet of snow - and we don't like too much water or snow.  My house is 460 msl, so staying dry!

EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

No skis for me yet this year, but I was wading in the surf and casting a line out for whatever would bite.  Got another supper for me and the wife.   Picture was actually a couple of weeks ago, but I looked the same today :-)  I am missing the flying though fish or no fish.  Jim Chuk

12-12 3.jpg

Jim, where are you in this pic?

Posted

Mike,  Hope you are on high ground as the Old Miss crests down your way.  We are surrounded by flood waters after getting a foot of rain in 3 days.  Folks all around leaving their homes while others are sandbagging and waiting for record river crests to hit.  Lots of highways under water from here to both Springfields, and some levees have been topped.  That would have been 10 feet of snow - and we don't like too much water or snow.  My house is 460 msl, so staying dry!

EDMO 

Thanks for the concern. We're definitely high and dry here in Jackson.  It's a different story just to the east and the predicted crest of the MS is going to be a record breaker.  KFVS showed a video of Saberliner in Perryville, 30 miles north, moving their planes from the airport to higher ground on the highway using tractors as tugs.  

Posted (edited)

I was 6 years old in the flood of 1947 between Hornersville Missouri and the Arkansas state line and rode the wagon pulled by a team of mules while the men sandbagged the road to town - once the wagon was unloaded it floated in the high water which was up to the belly of the mules.

I think I made up my mind then that I would not stay in a flood zone, and every house I have owned has been on top of a high hill, even in Alaska.  I keep thinking about the Johnny Cash song, "How High's the Water, Mama?"

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

12-12 3.jpg

Jim, where are you in this pic?

I'm in Gulf Shores Al.  My first attempt at being a snowbird.  I'll be here till the end of January.  Had quite a bit of rain around here also, Supposed to rain for the next 3 days here.  All sand here though, and so the water soaks in real fast.  Jim Chuk

Posted

You are right, that is a perfect snow.  I get to see pictures of it while I look out my window at a Sunny, 75 degree day!  No shovelling, no sliding, and above all, no freezing!  Glad someone likes it so they live there and leave room in FL for me!

Jim,

If the weather cooperates I'll try to bring the Cherokee your way next week.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

We need a video of you pushing that perfect snow around with your skiis! :)

Posted

An Avid Flyer with skiis makes you like snow... This was my first time on skiis (a few years ago now)...

1 person likes this

Posted

An Avid Flyer with skiis makes you like snow... This was my first time on skiis (a few years ago now)...

Doubt it, my aversion to snow is very very strong.  Floats are much better in my opinion!

Mark

Posted

I was hoping to play in fresh snow... but it's been raining like hell and winds are forecast to hit 100 mph tonight.  spose to be one of the largest storms on record here.  Doubled the tie downs on the plane and hope for the best.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yuck!  Hope you make it through with no problems!

I'd hate be one of the poor souls in Texas that lost their house in the tornadoes, it was cold and was raining until yesterday.  Lovely weather to try to recover items from the wreckage.

Mark

Posted

You are right, that is a perfect snow.  I get to see pictures of it while I look out my window at a Sunny, 75 degree day!  No shovelling, no sliding, and above all, no freezing!  Glad someone likes it so they live there and leave room in FL for me!

Jim,

Mark

I'm glad you like Florida makes more room for our ski flying. Everybody that has been to Florida tells me you have to stay in the house with the air conditioner on. I would rather shiver than sweat.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

If you like variation, move to St. Louis - We get hot sun, rain, sleet, ice, and snow - all in one day!  Right now, its a little wet!  Ha!  My house thermostat changes automatically from heat at night to AC in afternoon on lots of days.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Doubt it, my aversion to snow is very very strong.  Floats are much better in my opinion!

Mark

I agree floats and snow go great together .a fun sunday

20151227_122918.jpg

Posted

I hope you guys up North don't get a lot of this white stuff - It comes down the rivers as wet stuff in the spring floods of Missouri.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

I was hoping to play in fresh snow... but it's been raining like hell and winds are forecast to hit 100 mph tonight.  spose to be one of the largest storms on record here.  Doubled the tie downs on the plane and hope for the best.

I hope it passes quickly!  I think I'd kick a car out into the cold and have that plane in my garage or figure a way to get it into the dining room before I left it out in that storm, yikes!

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

Jim,

Mark

I'm glad you like Florida makes more room for our ski flying. Everybody that has been to Florida tells me you have to stay in the house with the air conditioner on. I would rather shiver than sweat.

Not me, I love it when it is hot.  Sweating is good for you, shivering is not.

When we all die, I'm the only one that will be comfortable at our destination! :)

Mark

Posted

Jim,

Mark

Not me, I love it when it is hot.  Sweating is good for you, shivering is not.

When we all die, I'm the only one that will be comfortable at our destination! :)

Mark

But if it freezes over, you'll be asking all these other guys what to do :lmao:

2 people like this