Angle of Attack Indicators

10 posts in this topic

Posted

There is a number of backcountry pilots within the Avid/Kitfox community...is someone using Angle of Attack Indicators for his low speed, steep approaches? If yes, which brand of AOA-Indicator are you using and which experiences and recommendations can you share? Thanks Juan

Posted (edited)

Good morning Juan.  Welcome to the forum.  This topic almost always starts a fight wherever it gets posted.  Some folks believe that ones naturally developed "seat of the pants" experience will provide all the warning one needs to stay alive.  Yet, stall spin accidents continue to happen.  Who would -a-thunk eh?  For my money I'll just follow the lead of the US military on this one.  They use AOA and have for decades.  This is the one I like though I have not installed one yet.  

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/riteAngleBuddy.php?clickkey=41828

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

I built a Lift Reserve Indicator and flew with it for a while but took it out, It worked ok, but these little planes are not jets doing wild maneuvers.  For me I found that I did not gain anything with it and did not look at it after the novelty wore off , just one man's opinion, but save your time and money.  It was fun building the probe though! 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I built a Lift Reserve Indicator and flew with it for a while but took it out, It worked ok, but these little planes are not jets doing wild maneuvers.  For me I found that I did not gain anything with it and did not look at it after the novelty wore off , just one man's opinion, but save your time and money.  It was fun building the probe though! 

I must say, my eyes are pretty busy looking outside and at the 2-stroke engine gauges not to mention AS indicator, I wonder if I'd use it at'all myself had I one aboard.  I could see it damn handy however in a deadstick situation now that I think about it.

Edited by allonsye
more content
1 person likes this

Posted

I was all set to order the gauge and take on the challenge of making up a probe, then you guys posted.   Your sanity check probably saved me hours of wasted time!:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I must say, my eyes are pretty busy looking outside and at the 2-stroke engine gauges not to mention AS indicator, I wonder if I'd use it at'all myself had I one aboard.  I could see it damn handy however in a deadstick situation now that I think about it.

I think with the pucker-factor going so high when the fan quits turning, (2x), I don't have time to look at anything but a landing spot, airspeed,  and all the things I don't want to hit - the seat of your pants takes on a whole lot more feeling!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I built and installed a Lift Reserve Indicator.
Does it look cool? Yes.
Does it prevent me from landing like a kangourou? No.
I should probably spend more time calibrating it, learn how to get the most out of it and actually look at it... 

LRI probe.jpg

LRI gauge.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a Grumman Cheetah and a Z601. They both have the little stall switch in the wing which is wired to a little vibrating motor clamped to the control column. I have it calibrated to come in about 5 mph above stall. 

Slow down and , buzz,. Like a little electric shock. 

Startles me and makes me push the control away. 

My eyes and attention stay outside.