Avid Champion

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello again everyone. I haven't had much of a need to post on the forum for a while since I don't have an Avid anymore. 

I found an Avid Champion for sale that I'm mildly interested in trading my Teenie Two for. Just curious if anyone has any experience with the single seat version Avid?

I realize it is technically an ultralight (other than this one has a 477 so it's 10 pounds too heavy). But has anyone ever flown one, or know first hand of anyone that has? I didn't realize there was even such a critter out there as a single seat. Just wondering if I should even pursue this one at all or just let it go and keep the Teenie. The big issue I have is the speed vs fuel burn difference. Right now I cruise at 105 MPH and only burn 2.3 GPH, yup, that's right only 2.3 GPH consistently regardless of RPM setting. 

Any thoughts? 

Happy New Year to you all as well. 

Kenneth

Posted

Good to hear from you Kenneth!  I don't know anything about the Champion unfortunately.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Kenneth,

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Champion either, but good to hear from you again. I guess it would beat your teenie two at flying slow which is good.

Luke D.

1 person likes this

Posted

I sure wish I lived in a part of the country where slow was good right now. I've moved to New Jersey and there isn't much flying around here that I can see the slow being great for. If I was back out west it sure would be nice! Unfortunately I'm surrounded by too much restricted, MOA, and class B airspace here even for the Teenie.

Posted

Nice to hear from you again Kenneth.  I have only seen one photo, and know nothing more about them.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm like old Sargent Shultz on the Champion also but I'll hazard a guess or two.  1) It doesn't look enclosed to me.  I think the back of the cockpit cabin is open isn't it?  It reminds me of the Rans S4-5 types in that the seating position and cabin space seems rather limited.  2) There was a Ridge Runner with a 503 in it out here on the left coast a while ago that had folding wings, a decidedly conventional plan and construction with regular flaps, ordinary household variety ailerons, and a bigger more comfortable seating arrangement.  I haven't flown either airplane so who knows eh?  It seems like a guy might find a B model Avid project for similar money and end up pretty happy.  I dunno.  

Posted

If I could find something for that price I would likely at least talk to the owner. The big issue is that this guy is willing to talk about a trade. I don't have the money to sink into another airplane after the loss of the Pursang. I haven't worked in three years and besides the loss of the Pursang no one wants to hire someone with a double accident on their record, even if they were both proven to be purely mechanical and the NTSB told me I did an "excellent job" of putting both planes down where and how I did. 

You say you knew of a B model on the left coast? That's still a big area! I've looked for Ridge Runners, Sky Raiders, etc with no luck on either end as well. 

Emory Bored, you are correct that the Champion is open, no doors, and open rear of the cockpit above the back of the seats anyway. Still has folding wings. Basically from what little I can find online it's a smashed width cabin with the same wing design. I have no idea of length of the wings though. Just haven't seen much information even with Google's help. 

Posted

E-mail this guy.  His name is Bill and he has or had a B model w/o engine that was ready to fly for cheep.  It's not in Barnstormers right now but it may very well still be available.  He owns the STC for tailwheel conversion of 172s and the like as well as a flap extension handle for a bunch of different airplanes.  Smart guy.  Well known in the aviation community.  

http://www.ezflaphandle.com

Posted

Yeah I know about that one, but it's about as far as you can get from where I'm at right now. Plus I don't have an engine. I'm on the right coast.

Posted

If I could find something for that price I would likely at least talk to the owner. The big issue is that this guy is willing to talk about a trade. I don't have the money to sink into another airplane after the loss of the Pursang. I haven't worked in three years and besides the loss of the Pursang no one wants to hire someone with a double accident on their record, even if they were both proven to be purely mechanical and the NTSB told me I did an "excellent job" of putting both planes down where and how I did. 

You say you knew of a B model on the left coast? That's still a big area! I've looked for Ridge Runners, Sky Raiders, etc with no luck on either end as well. 

Emory Bored, you are correct that the Champion is open, no doors, and open rear of the cockpit above the back of the seats anyway. Still has folding wings. Basically from what little I can find online it's a smashed width cabin with the same wing design. I have no idea of length of the wings though. Just haven't seen much information even with Google's help. 

My Brother In Law has a single seat Skyraider for sale in Idaho,Its super nice with a 503.Has lots of mods.If interested PM me and I can get you his number.He has medical issues and cant fly anymore.Randy

Posted

Jim Bethea of UltraFlight magazine said: "The Champion is arguably the best fixed-wing ultralight available and perhaps the most overlooked."