Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help me ID these gear legs

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I have these two gear legs for use when I eventually remove the training wheel. Does anyone recognize them?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

With welded on step, I would say they are the MK IV gear legs.  They are longer than previous model gear legs by a couple of inches.  Never saw the small tabs on a set before though.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Backing plate is a little different than I have seen but that step sure looks Avid. I have a set in my hangar I could measure.

Posted

I'll measure these tomorrow.  At a glance, they are 4-6" longer than the gear legs I currently have installed.

Posted (edited)

I have never understood why - Taildragger gear legs are usually longer than tri-gear legs. 

I think that tri-gear Grove legs for the Kitfox are 16" down to axle, and the taildragger legs are 22" - Mine are taildragger legs, so I have a tri-gear that needs steps to get into it.  When I put the 21-800x6 tires on it, I may need 2 steps, or a taller stump!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Snapped this pic out of my MK4 manual.

image.jpeg

Posted

I remember a post by Steve Winder where he was talking about the competition between Avid and Kitfox.  Avid went with this longer gear on the MK IV because it gave the plane a neater look with the nose high attitude on the ground.  Might have helped take off angel of attack a bit as well.  Jim Chuk

Posted

This is what we need - but preferably with different price tag...

Posted

Nice setup but to expensive for this guy.

Posted

I may need 2 steps, or a taller stump!

EDMO

Why not just grow up..? :BC:

Posted

C'mon! It's only $10,000!

Posted

I might would go for it if I had a Husky to put it on! ;)

Posted (edited)

For that kind of money it would need to be amphibious. ;)

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

Gotta love the statement, "we are trying to figure out what would be a good price for our customers". I only heard, "we're trying to figure out how much we can charge and still sell them". 

1 person likes this

Posted

Here are the measurements:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

I'm not near my stuff to measure gear legs, but I don't remember the standard MK IV gear legs as being that long.  I wonder if these are the WIB (wider is better) gear legs.   If my memory is right, the fuselage is 32" or 33" wide where the gear bolts on.  If you set them that far apart with the top of the gear lined up with each other, how wide would the bottom of the gear be.  Mounted on the plane, the plates the brake calipers bolt to are about 50" apart on the standard MK IV gear if my memory is right.   I typed all this, and just before I was going to post it, I saw the last picture and that looks like the right dimention for the front of the gear leg.  26"  I'm back to saying they are standard MK IV gear legs.  Don't know how I missed the last picture when I first looked at them.  Anyway, maybe lay them out like I suggested, and see if the plates are about 50" apart.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

As a comparison my early model Kitfox TD legs measure 20" down the straight leg where you measured 26" from fuselage to axle, so it looks like you may have the tall gear legs, unless MkIV legs were longer than early Kitfox.  

As another comparison, Grove lists the TD spring gear at 22" from fuselage to axle, and the ND Tri-gear at 16".   I have the 22" Grove gear on my Nose Dragger.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this