Avid went Down in Florida

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Glad to hear he's going to be okay. Thanks for the update.

Posted

Glad to hear he's OK.  ,,,,,,,,,,,,ohhhhhhh the awful feeling I had - just saw this.  We're like brothers here and concerned for each other.  Least, that's the way I feel.

2 people like this

Posted

Best wishes Bro!

Posted

Good news!!

Posted

Kd I'm glad you are going to be ok . Wishing you a speedy recovery, Rusty

Posted

Rob,

good to hear you will be OK! We all share your pain.

Thank you C5Engineer for relaying the, in the context, good news. 

Fred

2 people like this

Posted

Oh yeah, Life is good! Sympathy, support, encouragement... you need it, we got it. Here you are now, probably stuck in bed with nothing on TV except the State Of The Union rally. Man, what a way to kick a guy when he's down! Speaking of TV, maybe you saw the videos of Rachael Platen singing 'My Fight Song' bedside with a young cancer patient recently. Very inspiring and no doubt lifted spirits in a low moment. Just so you know, I asked my close personal Facebook friend Kelly Clarkson yesterday to buoy your spirits with a special bedside rendition of 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. If by some strange chance she can't make it, or fails to wear that super short and tight candy striper uniform with fishnet and lace stockings I requested, I hope the thought alone will bring a smile. All your friends at AFF are wishing you a speedy recovery!

3 people like this

Posted

Rob, I feel for you and wish you the fastest recovery.

(Please get a copy of Kelly Clarkson's autograph for me along with a photo in the candy striper uniform if at all possible!)

2 people like this

Posted

and post the pictures of said visit too damnit, we could all use that lil spirit boost!  :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry to see and read of your misfortune.  I wish you a complete recovery.  We are all pulling for you.

MarkD

Posted

HOPE ALL IS WELL FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY.  

Posted

If there's no video of the Kelly Clarkson visit I will be very disappointed. 

1 person likes this

Posted

That diffenently sucks but glad to hear hes on the road to recovery

Posted

Best wishes and prayers for your speedy recovery Rob!

Posted

Praying for a fast recovery Rob!

Ron

Posted

Here's wishing you the best of medical care and the speediest of recoveries.

Posted (edited)

Guys, thank you so much for all of the kind thoughts and positive  energy. It is so lovingly appreciated. 

Considering the condition of the airplane and the type of crash, I feel very lucky to be alive.  Quick synopsis: Engine out during climbing crosswind turn at approx 400' AGL just after take off.  Almost immediately the inboard wing stalled, plane went inverted then settled into a spiraling dive.   Plane struck the ground left wing low, nose down attitude.  This forced the nose gear through the floor and the floor of the flight deck rammed sharply upward and to the right.  The plane then flipped over onto its back and came to rest. 

In the avid I have this habit of pulling my seatbelt and shoulder restraint so tight that it has to be loosened each time in order to engage the buckles.   I think this had a lot to do with minimizing the amount of injury.  Other than the broken ribs and bruised insides caused by the  hydraulic shock of my shifting innards,  my torso, arms and face were pretty much unscathed.  ( this brought about much conversation among the amazed doctors and nurses who at the time were referring to me as the 'miracle plane crash guy' -as  News and pictures of the plane crash reached the hospital before I did )

My right femur seems to have taken the brunt of the force in the crash, breaking in three places.   Because of the seatbelts, I remained fully conscious and aware during the entire event. Immediately after the plane settled I was able to reach for the quick release, drop out of the seat and extricate myself from the aircraft to put a little distance between me and the hissing engine and the dripping oil and fuel .

In the three months that I had possession of the Avid, I put 65 hours on the Hobbs, made a myriad of new friends, and had the time of my life.   In the four months I've been a pilot I've logged just over 100 hours total in flying Cubs, Seareys, a tecnam, the avid, an Explorer, a Quicksilver, a hanglider trike, and a Pitts.  This has fulfilled a lifelong dream to be a pilot. I have no regrets, but I think it will be some time if ever before I have the nerve to fly small aircraft again. 

My hat is off to the  first responders and pilots who came so quickly to the scene of the crash.   I am forever grateful   

Edited by Knuckledragger
6 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have been in head-on car crashes that would scare hell out of anyone, but I still drive while meeting cars only feet away.  I have never been in a plane crash, but think I would feel the same and get back into one as soon as able.

I still believe the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport!

Hoping your healing is fast and complete.   We really liked your input on here.

Best Wishes,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey KD, good to hear from you. I hope you can make a full recovery quickly. From the pictures it looks like it could have been a lot worse. I know I love to fly, but can't say what I would do in a situation until I've been in it myself. Good luck what ever you decide to do. I'm glad you're still around to tell about it!

Luke D.

2 people like this

Posted

Good to see you ticking and in good spirits.

1 person likes this

Posted

Great to hear from you KD, glad that you're on the mend.  I've wrecked a couple myself, and although I didn't get hurt, I also was ready to quit at first.  After a while the pull of the sky  got the better of me and I had to go back.  At any rate like you said, you have fulfilled a life long dream and you are one of the few who have mastered the sky.  Heal up, move forward, and do what ever you feel is right for you,  Jim  Chuk

4 people like this

Posted

Rob,  we are all very glad you are on the mend.  In time your body will heal and maybe the flying spirit will too, but maybe not.  I wouldn't hold it against you.  That was a nasty little event. 

If and when the time is right, you'll know. 

In the mean time we wish you a speedy and complete healing, with wishes you can get back to your normal routines very soon. 

2 people like this

Posted

Glad to hear from you Rob! Thanks for your debrief. Very insightful and informative.

Lou

2 people like this

Posted

We're really glad you made it, KD. Rest and relax, you earned it. Please don't make any long term decisions about flying right now. You obviously loved flying, and might again soon, when the immediate reaction (intelligent reaction) of fear has settled down. But in any case, enjoy the taste of life now, made sweeter by the close brush you had.

2 people like this

Posted

So great to hear you chiming in and for shedding some light on what happened.  Wishing you a speedy and restful recovery.

1 person likes this