Avid went Down in Florida

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Good luck on a fast recovery ,im amazed after falling from that height you didn't have more injuries, tough avid's

1 person likes this

Posted

Any news from Rob?

Posted

Look back a page and you will see Rob posted a summary of the event on Saturday, 1/23. 

Posted

Opps, not sure how I missed that... 

Rob,

great to hear from you. Best wishes for you continued recovery - and hope we can all learn something from this.

Regards

Fred

1 person likes this

Posted

KD,

Glad you are ok, and recovering well.  Let me know if you need anything, I'm not too far away. (and I see Clermont has a Culvers....)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Guys,  Another quick update.  I'm healing very well, well looked after, and applying myself with 100% effort to physical therapy and proper nutrition for healing.  I'm truly thankful to have the family and the means to provide a proper recovery and healing process.  I'm about to graduate from the walker to a cane and becoming more independent every day.

Here's the part I think you guys will enjoy.  As the pain ebbs off and capability returns, so the fear ebbs and the desire to fly returns!  At a minimum I'll prepare with a CFI buddy for and fly the FAA 709 ride to keep my ticket.  The guys at the local FSDO are helpful and understanding.  I'm 3 weeks from being able to drive (officially) and of course operate rudder pedals!

To replace the Avid, I'm giving thought to later model Zenith CH701's and CH750's with either continental, lycoming, or rotax 912/914 (engine preference in that order I think) 100+ HP min..  Of course your feedback and suggestions are always appreciated :)  I'll take time to learn all I can about this line of aircraft and I'm not married to of getting a Zenith, but I like them so far.

Its going to take a lot of faith and a whole lotta deep breaths to firewall that throttle for the first time again!  I've given the crash a lot of thought and plenty of honest discussion with other pilots, including several that saw it all happen.  I'm confident this all will endow me with some valuable wisdom and a healthy dose of respect for safe and correct take off and landing operations.  I still see the ground rushing up at me quite often, and 'hear' the CRUNCH of my plane and my bones coming to an abrupt stop at the end of my short flight on the cloudy morning of 1/9/16.  This will always be with me, compelling me to be a safe pilot.  Its either that or take up knitting and stamp collecting.:wacko:

6 people like this

Posted

Glad to hear from you again, and that your recovery is going well.  Don't give up on flying.   EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Great to hear you're recovering quickly and have a great support system! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Glad to hear your recovery is going good. I am glad you still have that desire to fly. Things will work out.

1 person likes this

Posted

Rob, That's an awful lot to go through for a life lesson.  Glad you're so resilient and are able to sort through the bad experience to find the positives.  Rise from the ashes and get back in the air.  I find flying is one of the best ways to put some perspective on life's struggles.

2 people like this

Posted

Good luck on a fast recovery ,im amazed after falling from that height you didn't have more injuries, tough avid's

Agreed, the plane was well designed and built, which gave me a fighting chance.  I want to comment on this from another angle too:

Whenever I strapped into my plane, I would cinch my belts so tight that only my arms, head, and legs, could move around in the cockpit.  Each time I strapped in, I would have to loosen things up from the previous flight to get the belts to buckle, then cinch again.  My thinking as a newer pilot was, if I get into an unusual attitude, negative Gs etc, I want my body held fast in that seat so that my arms and legs can do their respective jobs.  I think this habit had a lot to do with minimizing the upper body injuries I could have sustained.  My face and arms were unscathed. 

Also, take a look at your cockpit, secure all gear adrift and ensure that sharp edges are dressed up or covered.  Especially the area above your head.  I came to rest upside down, which is fairly common.  This implies that when you release your restraints, you still have 6-12" more to fall.  My scalp was peeled back because I fell on an intercom box with sharp edges.  Had I known to mount that box lower or at least tape up the edges to round them off I would have been dealing with a bump on my noggin instead of rough field surgery.

I don't mean this next part to seem like preaching, but I feel its worth mentioning:  For those of you who like to "buzz the field" and/or climb out aggressively... If during one of these you have an engine out, your plane WILL lose significant airspeed BEFORE you can react.  If you're at or near Vx or Vy, and especially if you're also turning, physics dictates that the flight will not end well.  I was climbing at Vy+~5 and turning at about 20 degrees when my engine went out.

Please be safe :BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks for the insights. I know when things go bad there is no time for thinking. You need the right response immediately. Do you care to comment on what specifically went wrong with the engine? Thanks. B

1 person likes this

Posted

Good to hear you are healing up well. Keep at it!!! Glad to see you aren't giving up on flying too! I hated to hear you say that, but understood.

No doubt extra speed will give you more reaction time. That is one thing my instructor beat into my head, procedure for power plant failure on TO and really any other time during flight.

1 person likes this

Posted

KD, it's good to hear you are on the road to recovery. Hopefully you will be back to normal soon. Also glad to hear you are thinking about getting back to flying.

Thanks for sharing about your experience. Your accident happened about the time I was starting to rebuild the wings on my speedwing project. It was a major factor in me deciding to extend the wings to decrease stall speed. I hope you find the right plane to get back into it. Avids and Kitfoxes are still a pretty good option. Good luck.

1 person likes this

Posted

I want to echo what has already been said. It is hard to put it out on the line after something like this happens. (I know that from experience). The lessons you learned are invaluable to the rest of us as well. For that I applaud you. 

Good luck on the road to recovery. Wishing you only the best.

Kenneth

2 people like this

Posted

Hi Guys,  Another quick update.  I'm healing very well, well looked after, and applying myself with 100% effort to physical therapy and proper nutrition for healing.  I'm truly thankful to have the family and the means to provide a proper recovery and healing process.  I'm about to graduate from the walker to a cane and becoming more independent every day.

Here's the part I think you guys will enjoy.  As the pain ebbs off and capability returns, so the fear ebbs and the desire to fly returns!  At a minimum I'll prepare with a CFI buddy for and fly the FAA 709 ride to keep my ticket.  The guys at the local FSDO are helpful and understanding.  I'm 3 weeks from being able to drive (officially) and of course operate rudder pedals!

To replace the Avid, I'm giving thought to later model Zenith CH701's and CH750's with either continental, lycoming, or rotax 912/914 (engine preference in that order I think) 100+ HP min.. 

I found this today. Looks pretty impressive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSH2E5lNV8

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Also, take a look at your cockpit, secure all gear adrift and ensure that sharp edges are dressed up or covered.  Especially the area above your head.  I came to rest upside down, which is fairly common.  This implies that when you release your restraints, you still have 6-12" more to fall.  My scalp was peeled back because I fell on an intercom box with sharp edges.  Had I known to mount that box lower or at least tape up the edges to round them off I would have been dealing with a bump on my noggin instead of rough field surgery.

aaluck on a fast recovery ,im "

Rob -

Your feedback and thoughts about your accident are greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure everyone else as we endeavor to have fun and to learn to pursue this passion safely.  Accidents unfortunately are enormously expensive lessons.  But, they have been the prime reason for making flying one of the safest means of transportation is the catch 22.

As an avid (no pun intended) motorcyclist and a former riding instructor, I'm a huge advocate of helmet wear -- anything for that matter done faster than a walk. There's no easy road of recovery from head-trauma.  I've been trying to source a decent flight helmet for the last several months now.  I've found the popular Comtronics models suck for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately there really isn't much else out there other than the spendy Gentex units.  

Glad you're making a reasonably quick recovery and thinking of getting in the saddle again.  

Edited by allonsye

Posted (edited)

I think any kind of helmet is good insurance - unfortunately, some of us don't like helmets.   I might wear one for the first test flight, and then sell it.  What about the Comtronics that you don't like - I don't remember what kind I have, but it is probably one of those.    The same goes for shoulder belts - I want them, but my buddy who owns the Cub don't want to be restricted and only wears a lap belt - I just hope he never flips!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I think any kind of helmet is good insurance - unfortunately, some of us don't like helmets.   I might wear one for the first test flight, and then sell it.  What about the Comtronics that you don't like - I don't remember what kind I have, but it is probably one of those.    The same goes for shoulder belts - I want them, but my buddy who owns the Cub don't want to be restricted and only wears a lap belt - I just hope he never flips!    EDMO

I should have noted that the Comtronics customer service is exceptional.  I tried the model that's designed to be worn over David Clark or David Clark clones.  Its simply a m/c helmet cut out to accept a headset within it.  It fit sloppily.  I didn't give me a secure feeling.

As Rob pointed out, a helmet can well make the difference between waking away or being carted away.  I'm going to keepd making efforts to source a helmet with comm ability and use it.

Posted (edited)

I should have noted that the Comtronics customer service is exceptional.  I tried the model that's designed to be worn over David Clark or David Clark clones.  Its simply a m/c helmet cut out to accept a headset within it.  It fit sloppily.  I didn't give me a secure feeling.

As Rob pointed out, a helmet can well make the difference between waking away or being carted away.  I'm going to keepd making efforts to source a helmet with comm ability and use it.

Whatever my helmet is, I tried it on one time before storing it, and it fit perfectly - probably a Comtronics, and has earphones and mike built into it, and a detachable orange facesheild - I bought it used.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Keep an eye out on ebay for an ultralight helmet.  They come up occasionaly.  They do usually have a single plug on the cord instead of the standard GA 2 plug in most headsets.  Maybe can be rewired fairly easy, I don't know.  I have a good helmet from when I was flying ultralights, I do use it on first flights and such.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Keep an eye out on ebay for an ultralight helmet.  They come up occasionaly.  They do usually have a single plug on the cord instead of the standard GA 2 plug in most headsets.  Maybe can be rewired fairly easy, I don't know.  I have a good helmet from when I was flying ultralights, I do use it on first flights and such.  Jim Chuk

Kinda hijacked the thread but w/respect to helmets seem a retired Mil spec HG or SPH, rewired to work with low impedance might be the way to go. I've been keeping an eye out for those as well.

Posted

Kinda hijacked the thread but w/respect to helmets seem a retired Mil spec HG or SPH, rewired to work with low impedance might be the way to go. I've been keeping an eye out for those as well.

I'm not much for wearing a helmet - mine has phones and mike in it and have no clue as to what kind - I could make do with just a motorcycle helmet and my handheld radio - seems like there are some MC helmets with phones for listening to radio - mabe talk to driver/passenger?  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm not much for wearing a helmet - mine has phones and mike in it and have no clue as to what kind - I could make do with just a motorcycle helmet and my handheld radio - seems like there are some MC helmets with phones for listening to radio - mabe talk to driver/passenger?  EDMO

Your referring to the bluetooth comm devices that can be added to helmets.  Are the newer av comms bluetooth capable? 

I've an old m/c helmet and also an old headset.  Me thinks a nice lil project is to splice the headset bits to the m/c helmet.  Problem solved.

Edited by allonsye

Posted (edited)

Your referring to the bluetooth comm devices that can be added to helmets.  Are the newer av comms bluetooth capable?

I wouldn't know a blue tooth from a gold tooth, except for the color!   Sorry.  I still carry a wind-up pocket watch - traded my sundial for it!  Ha!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this