Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Uneven wing fold

5 posts in this topic

Posted

So if you've leveled fuse front & side, rigged wings per the manual and everything shows symmetrical from side to side with wings out, why would the wings not be level when folded ie., one tip end sets higher than the other? Only thing I can come up with is washout may not be even??

Posted

I noticed mine does the same thing... and the washout was dead on the same when I covered the wings.  I only have one adjustable rod end on my struts so I am thinking the fixed strut must be pulling it out of whack a little bit.  The good news is she flys hands off with no tendency to roll one way or the other.

:beerchug:

Posted

Hmm, this seems kinda like an impossibility and mystery to me! Do you notice any binding etc. when you swing either wing closed? Or some point in the swing arc where the wing chord appears to start twisting? My Avid+ looks even when folded.

1152_cb663b11d877fa6792daf444e9205a20ac2

Posted

How about poor jigging or weld creep on the rear carry through pin bushing? Maybe the bushing is slightly out of plumb... but then the strut would pull the wing down as it folds, right??  ???

Posted

very possible on the rear spar carry through not being plumb, or possibly, the spar is not drilled straight etc.  I noticed it on mine, but was not too concerned as the wing is straight when folded out and that is all that really mattered to me.

I know that something is slightly out of whack on mine, as I tried to put the front and rear spar pins in, then put the bolt in the fuse for the strut attach.  This did not work as I could not get the hole to line up perfectly.  I ended up putting in the strut bolt, then putting the wing spar pins in at the rear attach point, then folding the wings out the rest of the way and putting in the front pin.  It is probably putting a bit of a twisting load on my struts, but not enough to make it flake any paint on the strut attach point on the fuse where it would be putting the torsional load on it.