Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Paint Booth Size

12 posts in this topic

Posted

It looks like I'm ready to start painting and only 3 months behind schedule. The plan was to build a larger booth in the unconditioned section of my shop and paint last fall on nice days. Well....it's cold here in SE MO and I need to build a smaller one in the heated section that's just 20'x36'. I will still need a portion of this area to do prep work, sand, layout Etc. Would a 10'x20' work?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted

I've painted two planes in a 16'x24' garage stall.  by the time you subtract for counter tops and other things, it's probably about 10'x20'  Did one wing at a time, fuselage by itself, and tailfeathers all together.   Doing another one in there this spring.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree with Jim.  10X20 will work that is about the size I ended up with in my garage when I hung the tarps up and made the booth.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks. I have the wings and fuselage on rotisseries and I'm hoping that might help.  

Posted

I used a Harbour Freight 10 X 17 portable garage as a paint booth.  It was tight but I was able to get it done.  I did all the prep work and sanding outside. The worst problem was getting adequate lighting set up so I could see how much material I was applying.  As far as cost, it was just a little more than what I had figured for using temp walls and plastic to make a booth in the shop and clean up afterwards was much easier than trying to clean up the overspray in the shop. I used a 24" box fan and furnace filters for the vent system.

MarkD

Posted

I used a Harbour Freight 10 X 17 portable garage as a paint booth.  It was tight but I was able to get it done.  I did all the prep work and sanding outside. The worst problem was getting adequate lighting set up so I could see how much material I was applying.  As far as cost, it was just a little more than what I had figured for using temp walls and plastic to make a booth in the shop and clean up afterwards was much easier than trying to clean up the overspray in the shop. I used a 24" box fan and furnace filters for the vent system.

MarkD

Don't tell my wife, but I was going to wrap the enough Christmas icicle lights around the perimeter of the booth until I achieved the desired quantity of lighting. Shhhh......

Posted

It was a little small, but it worked. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

Looks Great Mike - How about painting mine?  Ha!  EDMO

Posted

Hi Ed, it might take two years.  My progress is slowwww.......

Posted

Hi Ed, it might take two years.  My progress is slowwww.......

I hope I am ready by then!   EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Mike:

What model number are you building?  Paint job/scheme looks fantastic by the way.

Larry

Posted

Love the paint, she is going to be a very sharp looking bird!

:BC: