Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

18" Plywood Spar Inserts

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought I'd save this here for future reference. I just measured it off of my Avid speedwing project. I saved it as JPG and PDF just incase the PDF has any problems.

Avid_spar_insert.thumb.JPG.21c00d3a2c78a

Avid spar insert.PDF

Posted (edited)

Just so an alternative is listed - Better, IMO - I bought 4 aluminum extruded I-beam spar inserts which are about 4 or 5 feet long, for $140 shipped, from Just Aircraft.  Lots stronger than the plywood, and Lots cheaper than Kitfox inserts.  These are for the .065 wall spars, but can be made a little bit smaller to fit the .083 HH spars.  Check out what TJay did.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Suberavid,

How about the aluminum ones for the new extended wings when that project starts?

Jackak

Posted

For anyone contemplating the oem ply spar inserts, you might want to consider lengthening them to 24" and adding the quarter round strengtheners. Details here: http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/264-mtow-modifications/

Hey Doug, did the 24" inserts have the same size of cutouts on the ends as the 18"?

Posted

Yes, the birds mouth cutouts on my longer A+ spar stiffeners were identical to my Avid Mk-4 stiffeners. Adding a few inches of length would be easy enough if fabricating your own set of spar stiffeners, as is applying the quarter round hardwood strengtheners. I know many builders added the quarter round to the shorter OEM ply stiffeners to make them into a stronger 'I-beam' design as well, that was a tip in one of the early Avid Family Flyer newsletters.

Posted

Just so an alternative is listed - Better, IMO - I bought 4 aluminum extruded I-beam spar inserts which are about 4 or 5 feet long, for $140 shipped, from Just Aircraft.  Lots stronger than the plywood, and Lots cheaper than Kitfox inserts.  These are for the .065 wall spars, but can be made a little bit smaller to fit the .083 HH spars.  Check out what TJay did.

EDMO

How did you order those spar inserts Ed?  I don't see them listed on the Just web site under the accessories and options. 

Posted (edited)

EDMO

How did you order those spar inserts Ed?  I don't see them listed on the Just web site under the accessories and options. 

Ha!  Randy, you are asking an almost 75-year-old to remember past yesterday?   I called and talked to someone who said I had to talk to a guy named Harry, who said he was older than me and didn't remember what to charge for the spar inserts, but he would sell them to me - I think that TJay said he paid $40 each for them - anyway, (I think) my bill was $140 for 4 of them (don't remember if that including shipping), and they got here fast. 

Why did I think I paid more than TJay? - Got to check on price - maybe was $180?    I stored them without unwrapping.

I will have to look at the invoice - Whatever it was, is a lot cheaper than what Kitfox wants for inserts.

Give them a call - Worst coming to worst, If you can't buy them from Just, I will sell you mine for whatever I paid plus shipping.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thank Ed, I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Randy