Building Carbon Wing Extensions, CAD file needed

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm in the preliminary stages of getting wing extensions going for my MkIV Aerobatic SpeedWing.

Airdale has the long way around solution, real real ling way around, considering he is no longer actively partaking in his buisness or returning phone calls, so, I went out searching for a solution. His rib and spar e tension looks great, but covering them and trying to math the existing paint on my Avid doesnt sound like fun. I think a 1 piece carbon fiber wing extension is the quickes easiest soultion to extending my Aerobatic Speedwings. No paint matching, clearing them would look amazing and let the carbon fiber bling shine, and a quick insert and easy removal or swap out between speed wings and HH STOL wings would be a dream come true. I need some help though. 

Having a CAD drawing of the MKIV  wing build would be enourmously helpful. I have this PDF and build sketch, but something more modern would get this project off the ground a bit easier  

1) Did anybody every go to the trouble of building the wings or extension in solid works?  

2) Do we as a community, have any better prints than the ones in this PDF?

3) Can anybody tell me with confidence, what the spar ID and OD of the MkIV Speed wings is?

Posted

Does anybody have the MkIV speedwing rib design drawing or a spare actual rib?

Posted

Were the tips an OEM part or were they fabricated by the builder?  I recall seeing images of somebody fabbing one out of aluminum. 

Posted

Cool project ,interested to so the process.

Posted

I can send you one, but not right this second. I am rebuilding my wings, and need to decide what will and will not be re-used. Maybe a week or so.

Posted

I can send you one, but not right this second. I am rebuilding my wings, and need to decide what will and will not be re-used. Maybe a week or so.

You're the man. Is it the flat bottom rib or the under cut rib?

Posted

It's the Avid "Speed wing" rib. Not completely flat, but pretty close. It's actually a little convex on the bottom.

Posted

LORENZ-

Avid supplied fiberglass wing tips with their kits. For pics of tips and install, click here -> http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/547-avid-wingtip-kit/

For description and specs of the different Avid wings, click here -> http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/640-different-wings/&do=findComment&comment=3637

Not sure what "pdf" you're referring to? I have the drawings from the build manual if you need them.

I have spare Avid speed and transitional root ribs with flaperon hangers I can trace if needed. 

Posted

Luked came through with an actual rib, thanks for your offer doug. 

Posted

I hope you are thinking about some sort of spar extension with this - there may be a lot more pressure on a one bay extension than on just the wingtips.

EDMO

Posted

Heres what a friend of a friend is doing for wingtip extensions on his highlander I believe,I hope  to try this on the fat avid.

avid.JPG

image7.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

Posted

Doug,

If you will do those tracings I will convert them to DFX files and add them to the site.

Dave in Western IL

1 person likes this

Posted

Sure. Give me a little time, I have family commitments for the next few weeks. Remind me if I don't get back to you by then.