Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaps keep retracting

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Have any of you had a problem with the flaps retracting slowly during approach?  Surprised at how much restoring force there is (aerodynamic to retract the flaps).

Have tightened the friction washer for the second time.  Hopefully this will be it.  But... anyone use detents or similar?  

Posted

I changed out the plastic friction washers with some I made from leather (chrome tanned horsehide) I have not have any slippage issues since.  You could use some heavy fiber gasket material to achieve the same result.

MarkD

Posted

I made a friction washer out of leather too. The plastic washer did not work. The thick leather fixed the problem on my MKIV.

The Magnum has a novel detent system, but it would be hard to implement in the MKIV.

Posted (edited)

I put in a couple of leather washers and roughed them up with sandpaper before installing them.  I was surprised how tight I needed to pull the joint to keep it from slipping. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I have felt on mine. 

Posted

Great stuff.  Thanks for the replies all.

Posted

Flaps .... We don't need know stinking flaps just a little slipping is all you need . I actually have tried using my flaps but they do move back to position. I might try the leather or fabric trick just in case I really need them. 

Posted (edited)

Flaps .... We don't need know stinking flaps just a little slipping is all you need . I actually have tried using my flaps but they do move back to position. I might try the leather or fabric trick just in case I really need them. 

Flaps get you off of the ground better than slips!  Should also slow down your landing speeds.   Flaperons are not as powerful as regular flaps, but that is what they are designed to do, otherwise they would not be on the plane.   Mine have positive detents.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I have no problem getting off the ground and control my landing speeds with my trim and stick. I also have the luxury of flying out of a 5500ft paved runway .

Posted

I have no problem getting off the ground and control my landing speeds with my trim and stick. I also have the luxury of flying out of a 5500ft paved runway .

Some folks don't have that luxury - Dean put the flaps on the plane to help them.  Guess you don't need them - yet.  EDMO

2 people like this

Posted

Not learning to use the flaps leaves a lot of performance on the table.. especially when you have to get in and out short.

2 people like this

Posted

I have a few hundred hours in planes with flaps and without flaps . With my Avid I doubt I will ever need them . I can drop it where I want and take off is so short I have to hold it on the ground . There are tons of experimental airplanes without flaps and I've flown a few . Everyone has there way of doing things and to each his own . In my avid I don't see any use for me personally to need flaps . I have a YouTube video spot landing directly on my bullseye no flaps just a little slipping . 

Posted (edited)

Just for the Kitfox and Avid guys who might have missed the post and pdf that A+ Doug Holly made on 4 July 2010 about the "History of structural changes" that have been made on Kitfox 1 thru 4 - The article says that the symmetrical flaperons on the Kitfox 4 are 2" wider chord than the earlier flat-bottomed ones.   IMO, That is a lot of difference! 

Also, in another post, I wrote about Kitfox advertising "New & improved flaperons" that were flat-bottomed again, after the introduction of the symmetrical KF4 flaperons.  Most KF owners thought that this was a bad idea!

My tidbit of info for today.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO