Turtledeck to wing gap

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I was flying today and it was pretty chilly. I was feeling around in cruise looking for places where air was leaking in. I noticed that where my lexan turtle deck is trimmed around the rear spar I had some massive airflow coming in. I've seen other people's planes with a piece of aluminum filling the gap between the turtleneck and wing. Curious if having that would decrease drag. Thoughts? I think I will try taping it up with painters tape next time I fly. 

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I think the "wings" on the TD were meant to decrease drag.  I wonder if you could find some rubber edging that would seal the gap between the TD and spar?  My Kitfox 2 had some painted fabric and wood to seal the gaps around the rear spar, but not attached to TD.  My KF3 had a pound or so of caulk added there in addition to fabric!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

All of my Avids had a piece of aluminum riveted to the side of the turtle deck that laid over on top of the wing.  That might help.   Jim Chuk

Posted

All of my Avids had a piece of aluminum riveted to the side of the turtle deck that laid over on top of the wing.  That might help.   Jim Chuk

Yes, I would add the wings to the TD to decrease drag - But, I think your incoming air is from UNDER the wing - that is where the highest pressure is - the only thing that will stop it is to plug all the holes.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Not too worried about the air coming in. It's California so not that cold. I been trying to clean this thing up some though. Foam works pretty good to seal up holes.  The metal turtledeck on my barn find avid has the wings. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

Not too worried about the air coming in. It's California so not that cold. I been trying to clean this thing up some though. Foam works pretty good to seal up holes. 

Looks cold to me when you are at 11,000 over those snow-covered mountains...I was freezing at Tahoe one summer, but certainly not at hotLA - Biggest shock I got was when I went from cold Tahoe over to Nevada where it was 105F, and jumped into a swimming pool filled with ice-cold water coming off of the California mountains - got a cramp before I could get back out - Lesson learned!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here's a pic I have on my PC of another members lexan turtledeck with the aluminum wings. I wonder how much benefit they actually provide. May be a worthwhile project. Pics show covered vs uncovered.

Hinged turtledeck2.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

Posted (edited)

You can brake a piece of Lexan if you would like to keep the clear look.  It should reduce a little drag and it may clear up the air flow to the empennage also.

Edited by wypaul

Posted

You can brake a piece of Lexan if you would like to keep the clear look.  It should reduce a little drag and it my clear up the air flow to the empennage also.

I've done this to small pieces for non aviation projects.  Lexan/polycarbonate does bend but it won't work for acrylic!  

Posted

image.thumb.jpeg.ee774b9874a9d5ea45218f6image.thumb.jpeg.b47ff69fdbd02691e6f27a7image.thumb.jpeg.ee774b9874a9d5ea45218f6

Joey :  Hit the unread topic awhile ago, so dusted off the TD for the Avid and into the kitchen to show what I did to help the pneumonia hole and maybe clean it up a little bit. Still a work in progress tho.image.thumb.jpeg.0c4bc61e90f5d14eff185aa

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

If I am seeing this right, you added droop fins to the TD wings?  I thought the TD wings overlapped the wings?  This could only work if you butted the TD wings to the main wings... ???   Or, is this pointing up?   Maybe I am not seeing it right?

Is there any advantage in having the hinge in the middle, and probably having leaks?  I like the big Lexan window better, and the TD can still be stored in the cockpit when it is removed for folding the wings.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO