Reworking a B model cowling

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Bit the bullet today and commited to my cowl makeover. After 2 mos and 14 hrs it's time to permanently replace my ghetto fab cardboard patch. Spent the afternoon scraping 25 years worth of crap off the inside of the cowl. I picked this cowl up used years ago and knew it needed attention but today was a big eye opener. Looking forward to reworking it. The pics show the big hole where the B model side radiator used to be. The scoop attached separately with cam locks. Drilled them all out today. First order of business is glassing in the big hole and making it look decent. My first time doing fiberglass work so wish me luck. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Joey I have a cowling you can have if we figure out how to get it to you. It has never been fit to anything.

2 people like this

Posted

Why not cover the hole with .016 or 20?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Joey,  Whatever (tin/aluminum?) you use as a support for the fiberglass cloth, be sure and put so much wax on it that it don't stick (it will) when you get ready to remove it.   We used 3 unbuffed coats of Johnsons Paste Floor Wax at Chrysler to keep the FG from sticking to car parts -Maybe there is something better now?  I know that there is a release film that you can use, but I have never used it.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You can also put packing tape over anything you don't want the fiberglass to stick to.  fiberglass won't stick to plastic once it dries/hardens up.   Jim Chuk

3 people like this

Posted

You can also put packing tape over anything you don't want the fiberglass to stick to.  fiberglass won't stick to plastic once it dries/hardens up.   Jim Chuk

We used so many layers and epoxy for our fixtures that sometimes they created enough heat to warp metal - I figured that the heat might melt or shrink the plastic tape and let the FG contact the support metal.

EDMO

Posted

+1 on the packing tape. I've used it many times. It's perfect for quick one off jobs like this.

1 person likes this

Posted

We used so many layers and epoxy for our fixtures that sometimes they created enough heat to warp metal - I figured that the heat might melt or shrink the plastic tape and let the FG contact the support metal.

EDMO

That's too much for a single layup then.

Posted

Wow my friend, you have started down a time consuming path. it sure was on my Fat Avid! 

Posted (edited)

EDMO

Mark,  Ours didn't have to fly - and the "engineers", (who thought they knew more than us dumbasses who did the layup), decided on how thick.   Sometimes they wanted 12 to 20 layers of cloth in one pour, and we did not use vacuum bagging - just poured and brushed epoxy on each layer!  Sometimes it was about an inch thick.

I learned a lot more in Av School.   

I think I was having a flashback when I wrote the above!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

EDMO

Mark,  Ours didn't have to fly - and the "engineers", (who thought they knew more than us dumbasses who did the layup), decided on how thick.   Sometimes they wanted 12 to 20 layers of cloth in one pour, and we did not use vacuum bagging - just poured and brushed epoxy on each layer!  Sometimes it was about an inch thick.

Lucky it didn't just spontaneously combust.  No reason you couldn't do that as several smaller layups, sanding between each cure.

Posted

EDMO

Lucky it didn't just spontaneously combust.  No reason you couldn't do that as several smaller layups, sanding between each cure.

We sometimes had them turn brown from heat.   Supervision - Time - Manpower - Deadlines!

EDMO

Posted

Use to work for a guy that built race boats. Also managed a fiberglass production shop. I like using wax as a release agent. Don't have much epoxy or vacuum bagging experience. That was after my time. Mostly polyester and vinylester.

Haven't had any parts get hot. We mostly used multiple thin layups on the boats because it was lighter and more consistent . Gelcoat, that is another matter. It would get hot and go to smoking. Stunk like all get out!!!

Posted

We argued for years about not having proper ventilation system for grinding fiberglass, and improper masks - Got nowhere with company representatives.  Finally figured out that the epoxy could cause cancer - maybe that's why several of us got cancer later after retiring, or maybe from breathing welding smoke, or both?  Difference between working with this stuff constantly for years, and just doing a cowl repair, is huge!

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I like to use a couple coats of wax and then some PVA if you are using a mold with some compound curves. If it's a fairly simple shape though without a lot of compound curves the packing tape works great. I've done repairs like Joey's cowl patch with just some stiff card stock and packing tape. Just feather the edges around the area to patch a little.

I've found that the biggest thing for getting good results with fiberglass is good planning and preparation before you ever start mixing the resin. Everything has to be planned out and in it's place ready to go before you start. The right tools help a lot too. I like these rollers (especially the little one) to remove air bubbles.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Barrel_Rollers_1151/Supplies_Tools_Rollers_Squeegees

If you don't have the rollers, some cheap paint brushes from Home Depot can work too. Just buy a bunch since you just through them away. The flexible squeegees in the auto body section are good too.

One other trick I found helpful when I was starting out was to use a thin piece of clear plastic to wet out each later of cloth. cut the plastic a few inches bigger than the cloth piece all around. Lay the cloth on top of the plastic, but reversed from the way it will go onto the layup area. Wet out the cloth on the plastic, and squeegee any excess resin off the side. Then flip the whole thing onto the layup area. You can use a clean squeegee to work the cloth into the previous layer. Then just peel the plastic off.

After the last layer, a layer of peel ply helps with the finish too. Wet the peel ply just enough that it is completely wetted, but just barely. Fiberglass is a lot of fun once you get comfortable with it.

Posted

We used the cheap nylon brushes used for cleaning up machine chips - short, strong bristles used to pat the epoxy down into the weave of the cloth as each layer is applied - just put a coat of epoxy on your taped/waxed support piece, lay the dry cloth on it, more epoxy spread on the cloth, and patted into the weave with the nylon brush - then repeat layer of cloth, pat with brush, epoxy if needed, then next layer.  Yes, peal ply for last layer if going to paint or bond to something else.

EDMO

Posted

Oh yeah Ed, good point I forgot to mention. If you use the cheap paint brushes from HD, cut the bristles about half their length so they are stiffer like you mention.

The method you described works just fine. Not saying my method works better. The reason I like the plastic is that it is the poor mans way to get a very accurate resin to cloth ratio to keep weight down. It especially seems to help beginners. You can even put the cloth between two pieces of plastic and it works almost like vacuum infusing. Just dump a pile of resin in the middle, and you can dry squeegee the whole piece of cloth in seconds. Either way works fine though. Just depends on your preference.

Posted (edited)

I forget what the proper name is for the chip brushes - I think sometimes they are called Acid Brushes.   I used to buy them by the box at Harbor Freight - Almost white nylon bristles, and very coarse - not something I would ever use for painting, and sometimes we did cut them shorter. 

Luke,  you method sounds fine, and probably turns out lighter than what we did - The weight of ours was no concern.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Oh, acid brushes. I know what you mean now.

Posted

I use camel hair brushes. The cheap ones. They are the only ones that would stand up to the acetone bath they got after the job was done to reuse them (metal can with a lid so the acetone wouldn't leave). Rollers work great for rolling the air out of mat and squeegees work well with cloth. We use to use nap rollers on larger jobs. It was a two in one, add resin and roll air out. You got through, knock the nap off in the garbage can and put the roller in a can of acetone.

Posted

We argued for years about not having proper ventilation system for grinding fiberglass, and improper masks - Got nowhere with company representatives.  Finally figured out that the epoxy could cause cancer - maybe that's why several of us got cancer later after retiring, or maybe from breathing welding smoke, or both?  Difference between working with this stuff constantly for years, and just doing a cowl repair, is huge!

EDMO

I am with you there. If bad I use a paper suit taping up the arms and legs, and stuffing a small towel around the neck opening, a head sock, and a respirator.

Most of the time I put multiple fans in several locations that blow the dust away and out of the shop.

Posted

Getting ready to start playing with the foam and see what I can come up with.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Joey,

Unless you have some clearance issues, or want to do something fancy, why not just rivet or screw / tape a sheet of tin, aluminum, thin plywood or stiff cardboard inside the cowl and lay your fabric over that?  All that foam, wood, and bondo looks like a big mess is going to be made!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed, I think there might be a little bit of a compound curve in that part of the cowl. If so, I think I would try the foam. It it's flat though, some cardboard with packing tape would probably work good.

Posted

Is your plan to make the foam mold on the outside or inside?