Easiest big wheels/tyres?

16 posts in this topic

Posted

:PI've a Mark IV, wheels are okay but I want bigger - cue penis jokes!  

What have people done that:

• Doesn't involve new gear
  • Can involve uprated brakes

Thanks, Sam.

Posted

if you have 6"wheels you can go with the 22" dessers or even the 21" are an even better deal.If you have the 8" wheels you can go up to 27" ,the whole desser  line of aeroclassics wear really well.when I did mine I used the double caliper plate from matco to double the braking and still use what I had ,just added two calipers .they work awesome .you can taxi the plane around with the tail up quite easily

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

if you have 6"wheels you can go with the 22" dessers or even the 21" are an even better deal.If you have the 8" wheels you can go up to 27" ,the whole desser  line of aeroclassics wear really well.when I did mine I used the double caliper plate from matco to double the braking and still use what I had ,just added two calipers .they work awesome .you can taxi the plane around with the tail up quite easily

I've wondered and think you answered my question Mike -- going with a larger overall aspect ratio on a wheel will necessitate adding braking power in order to maintain the braking power had w/the smaller diameter.  Any chance you have the p/n or can direct to specifically which "dbl caliper plate" you're referring to?

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by allonsye

Posted (edited)

I've wondered and think you answered my question Mike -- going with a larger overall aspect ratio on a wheel will necessitate adding braking power in order to maintain the braking power had w/the smaller diameter.  Any chance you have the p/n or can direct to specifically which "dbl caliper plate" you're referring to?

Thanks,

Paul

Don't want to butt-in to your and Mike's conversation - But I think he is referring to adding two more of the same calipers that most already have while still using the original ones.    They do make a heftier double-caliper but I think it costs more, and replaces your old single calipers. 

BTW:  I emailed Desser tire about 2 weeks ago asking whether I could us 800 or 850 Airstreak tubes if I bought their 21-800-6 tires and never got an answer from them.   Haven't ordered the tires from them either!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

LoOKs like this but not sure if it's the right model number. George at matco will no what your talking about .leni runs the same setup to.he could probably verify also .the original caliper goes in the empty spot .

lg.jpg

Edited by dynomike

Posted

Hmmmmmm.............me still does not understand what needs to be upgraded on the Matco brakes or specification in order to accommodate the added leverage from the larger diameter tires.  Is there a svc bulletin or other guidance circulating about?

Posted

nothing really ,just my brakes sucked and so when I put the bigger tires on I assumed they would suck more .I actually only use my brakes taxing or runup most of the time.i guess if a guy was on a grass strip or soft field you could fly without any brakes

Posted

Give George at Matco a call and I'm sure he can explain it to you.  EDMO

Posted

Talking about Matco and Phat Tires..., the video on their site made me smile. I don't know those guys so I didn't really expect this...PhatTires-idv-3744-24.html

http://www.matcomfg.com/PhatTires-idv-3744-24.html 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmmmmmm.............me still does not understand what needs to be upgraded on the Matco brakes or specification in order to accommodate the added leverage from the larger diameter tires.  Is there a svc bulletin or other guidance circulating about?

The original Avid brake pedals did not give enough mechanical advantage to put the pressure to the calipers that was needed for really good braking action.  Some have modified the pedals to put more pressure to the calipers.  When you add big tires to the mix the brakes REALLY suck and normally wont hold a full power run up.  You can either fix the brake pedals or add the second caliper to help give you more holding power.  The second caliper helps, but without fixing the geometry on the pedals it still does not do the trick if you want to be able to lock up the tires.  With the dual caliper set up and the correct pedal geometry I was able to hold full power run ups with the 30" airstreaks on the plane.  Now I am running Cleveland double pucks and the braking is even better.  Some people don't use the brakes as much as others so they may not notice, but I do when trying to get in really short or when taxing with the tail up in the big rocks.  You can get the new pedals from MikeSK on here and then new masters from matco and that will help a bunch with the crappy brakes.  While your doing that you may as well add the other caliper and really get goo brakes that you don't have to try and shove your toes through the firewall to get the plane to stop or turn.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

After much thought about going to an 8" wheel 21" plus set up vs keeping my 6" and going with the Desser Aero C, I've decided to go the most penny tech route (all things considered modifications and what have you) and go w/the Desser 21/800/.6 4 ply. 

My question to the collective is what's best on the Mdl C, buffed or not buffed?  I operate a 50/50 turf and asphalt.

Paul

Edited by allonsye

Posted

Buffed: $169.95 for tires with the tread ground off. 

Non-Buffed:  $109.95 for same tire with full tread. 

Imo, that's an easy choice. 

Posted

I run the ones with tread  they will end up buffed quite naturally and I am with Larry on this one.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I got a bargain on Carlisle 800x6 with cheap tubes - about 20", and under $100 for the complete set.  The Desser 21-800x6 Treaded are bound to be better tires for the money.  There are different priced tubes for them.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I got a bargain on Carlisle 800x6 with cheap tubes - about 20", and under $100 for the complete set.  The Desser 21-800x6 Treaded are bound to be better tires for the money.  There are different priced tubes for them.   EDMO

I thought of sticking w/the Carlisles's but then again, would be nice to get some more ground clearance and to run super low psi. (I'm sticking with the lighter original mdl C gear which seems very robust).   I especially thought so after setting down in a freshly cut wheat field the other day.  Big soft tires would have made it a more comfortable experience -:)

Posted

Wheat stubble is hard on tires and furrows are tough on everything!