Dual Pumps Required?

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm using a backup electric pump which I haven't really needed yet other than to fill the carb bowls after maintenance.  I also have a fuel pressure gauge (1" UMA) with a Mallory Fuel Pressure Isolator so I'm not running a pressurized fuel line into the cockpit.  Wish I had a good fuel flow meter, but it's not worth hundreds to me.

Sed, you must have one like this?  UMA 1-1/4 MECHANICAL FUEL PRESSURE GAUGES NON-TSO  

Yup, that's the one I'm using.  

For about $200 cheaper, I will stay with the boat fuel pressure guage.

Geez, I didn't look at the current asking price.  It wasn't like that in the last century when I bought it.  I'm with you on the boat gauge.

Posted (edited)

Well, my 2nd Gold Series Facet pump came in today, so going to hook up two of them in series and hope at least one of them keeps pumping!  Now I will get the boat pressure gauge and T it into the line to the carb.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Is it gonna fly by this spring?

Posted

Is it gonna fly by this spring?

No Way!  Too many disasters at home to take care of!~  Ed

Posted

I've read what you all said about different pump set ups! My question is, Will a in line fuel pump work, or pump past the mechanical pump on a 912 Rotax if the mechanical pump fails? Thanks, also, will fuel flow past mechanical pump on gravity if pump fails?

Posted

Al, from my understanding, yes and yes.  That is barring some type of perfect catastrophic failure internally of the mechanical pump.  Anything is possible.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Agree.  The Rotax 912 pump fails open by design. If you have a high wing you may be able to fly from a gravity feed, but not at full throttle. If you have an electric aux fuel pump turn it on immediately, obviously. There was a lot of chatter about this very problem a few years back on the Rotax owner forums when a bunch of crap fuel pumps hit the market.

Edited by dholly