Sonerai II project

68 posts in this topic

Posted

9.5 more hours today. Crazy thing is I only build three small parts....okay well it was all the bits and pieces to make three hinges. These things are temperamental to say the least. All in all I did have to make about 20 or so parts to make the hinges. The placement of these is very precise to make it hinge correctly. Have you ever tried to measure 27/32 of an inch from the center of a round tube? It's not easy, even with calipers. I now see why everyone says the canopy is the most "fiddly" part of the entire airplane build. 

The good news is that I was able to finish up the canopy and have it on it's hinges now. Just need to finish the latch mechanism so it will stay closed. Might be a good idea. ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

9.5 more hours today. Crazy thing is I only build three small parts....okay well it was all the bits and pieces to make three hinges. These things are temperamental to say the least. All in all I did have to make about 20 or so parts to make the hinges. The placement of these is very precise to make it hinge correctly. Have you ever tried to measure 27/32 of an inch from the center of a round tube? It's not easy, even with calipers. I now see why everyone says the canopy is the most "fiddly" part of the entire airplane build. 

The good news is that I was able to finish up the canopy and have it on it's hinges now. Just need to finish the latch mechanism so it will stay closed. Might be a good idea. ;)

If you get yourself a Kitfox or an avid you would probably be the first to have it built in 3 weeks,

2 people like this

Posted

If you get yourself a Kitfox or an avid you would probably be the first to have it built in 3 weeks,

TJay, if I was working and getting the results you are I would be doing better. I think you're going better than I am actually. I just wish I could find an Avid kit to buy actually. I've thought about that quite a bit lately. I'd totally trade my Teenie Two and Sonerai Project for one if the right deal came up.

Put in another 5.5 hours today. Got the turtle deck stand offs built and welded on. Finished the wing folding carry through tube and got it in place and then finished up all the latch mechanism for the canopy. I actually need to get the canopy attached to the frame fairly soon. I'll be taking three weeks off the build and going to Utah to see my family this week though.

It might kill me to not have a project for that long...maybe I can start building another plane while I'm there. I have a bunch of 4130 just sitting there waiting for it. Maybe I should take my torch?? 

3 people like this

Posted

Wow, the past two months have been a whirlwind. I haven't done anything to the Sonerai for almost all that time. I've been to Utah for three weeks, then back to New Jersey for one. Then moved to Florida to fly for the summer. That didn't work out so I'm back in New Jersey. I just went to a flying interview to tow banners in the area too. Like I said, I've been busy.

I've also posted the Sonerai up on Barnstormers for what I have into it. I found another project that I'd really love to have but have never seen for sale. I'll let you all know more about it if it works out. If not I'll continue working to sell the Sonerai so I can fund another Avid project. That is if I can even find one to pick up and work on. That seems to have been an issue. Everything comes up for sale on the west coast when I live out here and on the east coast when I live out there. 

Figured I'd better check in so you all know I'm still alive! lol

Posted

Kenneth,  I sent you a PM - I'm still alive too!  EdMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth,  sounds like you're having an exciting adventure. Best of luck to you. 

I don't mean to sound like a buzzkill, but one question, though.  In your postings you seemed to hate every aspect of the Pursang's handling.  Why would you want to enter into another Avid project that isn't going to handle any different and maybe 'worse' from your point of view?

Posted (edited)

Hi Kenneth, I gotta say you do wear a lot of hats! Missed seeing you and your bride last year at OSH, maybe this year?

Not sure if this of interest to you and not trying to jack your thread, but I may have a couple of unstarted Kitfox projects available for the east coast folks. I'll be biting the bullet and doing a complete nut 'n bolt inventory as soon as I can find the time, then posting it up for grabs. Not limiting to local pickup, l can deliver to OSH this year for pickup there if necessary. You heard it here first!

Here's the quick gist:

(1) new KF3 fuse w/ doors, all white powdercoated. This is not a complete kit, however, I do have many new parts including mixer and elevator push/pull and misc control tubes and some kit specific hardware. Can throw in a used seat pan and pre-assembled turtle deck. Again, I will get off my duff and get the inventory done if someone has a genuine interest.

(1) new KF4-1050 fuse w/ doors, all white powdercoated. This is not a complete kit, however, I do have many new parts including mixer and elevator push/pull and misc control tubes, plus a complete (or very close to it) kit specific hardware list.

I also have the following new parts (white powder coated where applicable) that fit both and when added to either option above would result in a very nearly close to complete kit:

-new unbuilt wing kit w/ flaperons, droop tips, wing tanks and associated hardware (includes KF3 under camber ribs).

-new horizontal stab, elevator and rudder

-new 1050 lift struts.

-new bungee gear w/ wheels, tires, Matco brakes, axles and hardware.

-new 4-piece round cowl set (I have both rear top cowl pieces to accomodate either KF3 or KF4 windshield rakes).

-(2) new 582 engine mounts, (1) ea. for KF3 and KF4

-new Rotax 582 grayhead FWF kit, includes exhaust, engine instruments w/ thermocouples

-new in box GSC 3-blade ground Adj prop w/ aluminum spinner

-used KF3 instrument panel, pre wired w/ and including 582 engine instruments w/ thermocouples AND flight instruments.

Basically, I got a shit-ton of stuff that adds up to a very nearly complete 582-powered KF3 or KF4-1050 kit, and another bare fuse w/ doors and 582 engine mount.

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth,  sounds like you're having an exciting adventure. Best of luck to you. 

I don't mean to sound like a buzzkill, but one question, though.  In your postings you seemed to hate every aspect of the Pursang's handling.  Why would you want to enter into another Avid project that isn't going to handle any different and maybe 'worse' from your point of view?

After how dismantling the Pursang I found some serious issues. I'm more convinced now than ever that it was a factor of the one off job and build of that particular aircraft that made it handle the way it did. I'm not going to post finding, just let me leave it that there were several things that were very wrong with it and lead it to handle very poorly. I loved the view, the looks of plane and it's capabilities just not the way it flew. I'm positive I can fix those issues with a new plane. 

Life is just a huge adventure to me. It's about the journey not the end. We'll all get there one way or another, it's the stories we have to tell once we get there that count. I'm banking my stories in a huge way. 

2 people like this

Posted

Basically, I got a shit-ton of stuff that adds up to a very nearly complete 582-powered KF3 or KF4-1050 kit, and another bare fuse w/ doors and 582 engine mount.

I do certainly wear a lot of hats Doug! I may be interested in something if you can PM me with what you have. With my hobbies and interests I never know what I'll be doing next! 

Not sure if we will make it to Oshkosh again this year but I'd sure love to get back there. Especially now that we have the teardrop trailer I built last year. It's so much nicer to have our own little house on wheels that way. 

Posted

Well it certainly would be fun to see you two at OSH again, I should have the complete inventory with part #'s done soon. You know there was a factory sanctioned mod to raise the gross on a KF4-1050 fuse?

Posted

Kenneth, you know where I am, there's always a place welcome for you. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well it certainly would be fun to see you two at OSH again, I should have the complete inventory with part #'s done soon. You know there was a factory sanctioned mod to raise the gross on a KF4-1050 fuse?

Doug, Can you post that mod?  What did it include?  Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

That fuse is bare and looks in need of a blast and paint/powder coating. Both of mine are like new white powdercoat, lived all their life in a heated hangar. Sorry Kenneth, moving this to the classifieds.

1 person likes this

Posted

Kenneth, you know where I am, there's always a place welcome for you. 

Thanks Larry!

Posted

That fuse is bare and looks in need of a blast and paint/powder coating. Both of mine are like new white powdercoat, lived all their life in a heated hangar. Sorry Kenneth, moving this to the classifieds.

No big deal, I don't mind a little hijacking of threads as long as there is activity on the site I'm good.

Posted

"Bring out your dead". If you know what that's from you get bonus point in my book.

New year and now new motivation. I'm back to work on the Sonerai IIL. Haven't have any interest in it other than tire kickers saying, "send pix". So I have decided to finish up the project and keep it posted all at the same time. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it to a point where I can trade it off for equity towards an Avid or Kitfox.

Ordered a few bits and pieces I was missing on New Years Eve. Haven't heard anything from Wick about the order going through though so I'm a bit concerned about that much. I have started a knock out list of what I have left to accomplish and re-read all the wing build book as well. I don't think the wings will take me that long to build since I have pre built spars, ribs, ailerons and more. Only a few items to actually fabricate for them besides the wing build rack/jig. I figure if I really get down to it I should be able to finish them up in the next month, barring any issues getting parts and any pieces that I might not have already. 

The engine is also about ready to hang, but don't need to do that until I actually get all the little mount tabs welded to the fuse for the floor boards and inspection panels and such. Then paint and hang the engine to check everything out. 

I think I'm farther along that I figured I was last spring when I quit working on it. Of course some of that was due to the fact that I haven't been doing well with two bum elbows all year. I finally got a steroid shot about two weeks ago and I'm feeling good enough in my left elbow to work again. This is great news for the new year for sure!

Stay tuned for more later.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well Ken,  let me just say that I think you should "always look on the bright side of life"  :-)  Actually watched that video yesterday.  Keep working on the project.  A finished, flying plane is worth way more than a project.  (and a lot more pleasant to fly)   :-0   Got to thinking more about it and your quote is from an earlier Monty Python movie then the life of brian.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well Ken,  let me just say that I think you should "always look on the bright side of life"  :-)  Actually watched that video yesterday.  Keep working on the project.  A finished, flying plane is worth way more than a project.  (and a lot more pleasant to fly)   :-0   Got to thinking more about it and your quote is from an earlier Monty Python movie then the life of brian.   JImChuk

True that it's from an earlier movie, but you still knew what it was. Many people don't. Comedic geniuses each one of the actors/writers. Even if most don't quite get it. 

Posted

Back at it again today. I spent almost four hours just drilling holes and working on spar capstrips. The good news is that they are all drilled and one spar is even set up and ready to drill the spar tomorrow. I think this leaves about 2,500 holes left to drill for the wings! lol 

I think the wings will go fairly quickly since I have the ribs, spars and  ailerons preformed. I do still have to build a few internal parts for the spar stiffeners and I'm waiting on back ordered rivets from Wicks now. 

I tried to upload pictures but for some reason I'm just getting error messages again. I guess I'll try again later. 

1 person likes this

Posted

let me know what error message you are getting if your having issues with uploads.

Keep us posted!

:BC:

Posted

let me know what error message you are getting if your having issues with uploads.

Keep us posted!

Leni, the error literally just says, "There was a problem uploading the file". I got the same ones today as well and can't get anything to upload. 

I got in five more hours of building in the past two days. Yesterday I spent almost two hours cutting out aluminum angle for spar stiffeners and spar end plates, then spent an hour drilling those pieces as well. The main spars are almost ready to start the riveting process and making it permanent. If I had only gotten the correct rivets three days ago in my order I'd be going to town. I have a lot of deburring left to do and then a light coat of chromate to keep the corrosion at bay. I am not going to coat everything on the wings, just the areas where pieces touch. Trying to build light. Besides my Teenie Two doesn't have that much and has been outside, yet shows no signs of corrosion anywhere. 

Once I have the spars built up I just need to work over the ribs and start installing them as well. Of course I still have parts to build to get to that point. I'm still hopeful about getting the wings mostly built this month if I can get the parts and pieces I'm needing. 

Posted

Im sure you know this, but if not try restarting your computer that always works for me when my computer gets fussy

1 person likes this

Posted

Someone had this problem a while back, and I think it was because the pictures had too many pixels - Maybe from a phone?  One of our Marks somehow got the pictures and remade them with less pixels and posted them for him.  I just said a lot more than I understand!  Ha!  EDMO

Posted

I have had that issue when uploading huge files.  Use paint or some other program to resize pics to say 2000X ?? (it will auto populate the second number to keep it in proportion) and see if that fixes it.  The site is set to unlimited file size uploads but it sometimes will time out on the larger files.

1 person likes this