Gross weight and LSA qualified

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Another place where the gross weight would maybe be listed in paperwork, is when the plane is taken out of phase 1 flight.  Your are required to list in the log book stall speed and best rate of climb speed at gross (listed) weight.  This is written in the aircrafts log book, and you are stating  (certifying) that the plane is safe to operate at those speeds and weight.  Jim Chuk

I have been wondering about that for a long time - Say the Kit supplier lists the GW as 1400, and you fly Phase 1 at a max of 1300 GW, does the ramp checker go by your logbook, or what the kit supplier says the max GW for that model can be?

EDMO

the kit supplier is NOT the manufacture.  YOU the builder are the manufacture and you the BUILDER set the max weight.  This weight is only listed in the phase 1 log entries as there is not a space on the registration nor airworthiness for you to list a max weight for EAB.  It is kind of like putting a "ground only electrically adjustable prop" on your plane.  If you put one on and ever hit the switch in the air, then your plane can never again be used in the sport pilot category.  The only thing listed in my log is an ivo prop, it does not say how it is adjusted.  I would not even put the prop in the log book.  The less info you have in the log book, the less they have to try and hang you with... It is part of the don't ask don't tell policy that our over reaching government has driven us to.  I don't feel one bit bad about leaving out a detail here or there.

:BC:

AMEN

Posted

If you do not have a private ticket but have no medical issues, you can relatively quickly get a Recreational ticket. That's what I did. I was a student pilot getting re signed off every 90 days for a year and a half in my MKIV waiting for Sport pilot to emerge. I could have cared less about a private ticket at the time. Well Sport Pilot did not happen and I got sick of waiting.  Since the Rec ticket didn't require any hood time, I could go thru the whole license process in my MKIV. I went ahead and studied and took the rec written test (as well as the private test same day) and the next weekend took my check ride in my MKIV and got the rec ticket. Over the next two years I slowly built some 172 hood time and finished my private just because...... not because I

Can you please post up the document that shows it "certified" at 1400? 

Yes. Thanks everyone for the informative feed back, I do appreciate the info. The only place it state's the weight now is in the operating handbook. I think for me the best advice so far is to just go the extra step and get the private pilots licence, I don't have a problem with the medical and I Do like the Ivo adjustable prop.

Posted

If you do not have a private ticket but have no medical issues, you can relatively quickly get a Recreational ticket. That's what I did. I was a student pilot getting re signed off every 90 days for a year and a half in my MKIV waiting for Sport pilot to emerge. I could have cared less about a private ticket at the time. Well Sport Pilot did not happen and I got sick of waiting.  Since the Rec ticket didn't require any hood time, I could go thru the whole license process in my MKIV. I went ahead and studied and took the rec written test (as well as the private test same day) and the next weekend took my check ride in my MKIV and got the rec ticket. Over the next two years I slowly built some 172 hood time and finished my private just because...... not because I

Can you please post up the document that shows it "certified" at 1400? 

Yes. Thanks everyone for the informative feed back, I do appreciate the info. The only place it state's the weight now is in the operating handbook. I think for me the best advice so far is to just go the extra step and get the private pilots licence, I don't have a problem with the medical and I Do like the Ivo adjustable prop.

Congrats Al,  I think you have made a wise decision.  I went thru both Private and Commercial training, and still learned by some mistakes I made after that.   I worked night shift most of my life and like to sleep late.  I loved late evening and night flights, and now as an older pilot, and flying the Sport Pilot rules without a medical I cant do that anymore.

Good Flying - Enjoy the Learning and the experience,   EDMO

Posted

Just for reference, from "General Definitions":

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:

(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than—

(i) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or

(ii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on water.

(2) A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level.

(3) A maximum never-exceed speed (VNE) of not more than 120 knots CAS for a glider.

(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.

(5) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.

(6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.

(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than a powered glider.

(8) A fixed or feathering propeller system if a powered glider.

(9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.

(10) A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.

(11) Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider.

(12) Fixed or retractable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft intended for operation on water.

(13) Fixed or retractable landing gear for a glider.

There are things like VH and VS1 that are not documented anywhere for a lot of aircraft...

Posted

Just curious... the operating limitations that were assigned to my plane at time of original AW certificate are for a motor glider..  What is on ya'll cert?

Posted

If my memory is correct, a pilot of a motor glider didn't need a medical.  That was prior to sport pilot coming about.  Maybe they were trying to get around needing a medical.  Notice I said "if my memory is correct"  Maybe I dreampt  it;  ;-)  At any rate, I think the requirements for piloting a motor glider were less restrictive than for a standard aircraft.  That being said, should an Avid qualify as a motor glider?  I've experienced gliding several times in an Avid, and while they had motors, they were not contributing to the flight any longer.  I know they glided to the earth, but there was no soaring (gaining altitude) involved.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I know that mine on 30" tires with the clutch on the prop has the glide ratio of a streamlined greased anvil..

Posted

If my memory is correct, a pilot of a motor glider didn't need a medical.  That was prior to sport pilot coming about.  Maybe they were trying to get around needing a medical.  Notice I said "if my memory is correct"  Maybe I dreampt  it;  ;-)  At any rate, I think the requirements for piloting a motor glider were less restrictive than for a standard aircraft.  That being said, should an Avid qualify as a motor glider?  I've experienced gliding several times in an Avid, and while they had motors, they were not contributing to the flight any longer.  I know they glided to the earth, but there was no soaring (gaining altitude) involved.  Jim Chuk

You would need a glider rating with a self launch endorsement but no medical if it were registered as a self launch glider. The LSA type weight / speed / altitude restrictions do not apply to gliders. Last time I looked, the guidelines about what constitutes a "motor glider" vs. "powered aircraft" are pretty vague at best - seems to be whatever you can get away with...

Posted

After reading this thread again, It seems you are fine if not in a legitimately "grey" area that is easily defendable. Maybe you can just fly it light sport and explain that it is your understanding that the 1400 gross is for floats and you always fly 1320. Seems at the very lease plausible.

2 people like this