Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Flyer Venturi Installation

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I am thinking of putting a Directional Gyro in my Avid MK IV, and wonder if someone has ever installed a venturi on their Avid. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted

I did on my Kitfox.  12" venturi on the belly next to the radiator and the proper vacuum filter to the instruments (both a DG and AI).  I didn't install a regulator.  It never really worked for me with my typical 75 mph cruise.  Eventually I decided all that weight and drag was useless to me and I removed it all.  I've never missed it.

Posted

My mangy had a venturi on it but no gyros.  It was mounted to the rear cowl on the pilots side.  

I still have it if you want, but suspect Paul's results would be the same for you. 

Posted

Thanks guys. I bought a used one on ebay (I should name my airplane The Ebay Evader). I will rig it on a board out my car window and calibrate its draw vs speed to see if it is worth it. 

Posted

I had one with the DG on my Ercoupe and at 105 indicated airspeed it worked good.   Never saw an Avid or Fox with one, but really haven't been looking that close.  EDMO

Posted

I installed one on my mod 1 Kitfox with an AH and it has worked well. I don,t see a need for DG as GPS works very well for that.

Posted (edited)

I built a simple rig to test it out my car window, Here is the data. The venturi is a big one, looks like the 4" one at Aircraft Spruce, the horn itself is 10.75" long. At 75 mph it draws a healthy 4.3 to 4.4" hg, At 70mph, 3.3 to 3.5, at 80, 4.8 to 5.4"(note my car speedometer calibrates 2 mph slower than indicated at 75 mph). Those who say it had significant drag are quite right, I had to really push on that stick, estimated at 15 lbs of drag force, probably a 4% increase in drag/reduction in range.

rig small.jpg

speed small.jpg

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this