Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rudder Cable Fairings

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Made some vacuum formed rudder cable fairings today that are long enough to clear the cable during full rudder deflection.  Notice the store bought fairing in the foreground.  The paint booth is finished and after attaching these fairing, I get to start painting this week. 

Mike

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

nice

Posted

What you chargen for a set?

Posted

What kind of plastic are you using for these? Look very nice.

Posted

I purchased the polystyrene 0.040 sheets from IASCO.  The mold was made with coil stock aluminum used in house construction.  The hole on the side of the box is for the shop vac.   It's a fairly easy process, screw plastic sheet to the frame, place under the broiler in your very understanding wife's oven until it just starts to smoke, then press frame w/ plastic sheet over the mold with the shop vac on and wait 3 min until it cools before shutting the vacuum off and pulling the part.  There are multiple videos on YouTube showing the process.  

Mike

1 person likes this

Posted

TJay,

I tried heating the plastic with a hot air gun without much success and making rejects in the process.  I ended up with 2 sets.  I promised EdMO a set for his generous help with my build so I don't have any extras. Sorry  

Mike

What kind of plastic are you using for these? Look very nice.

Posted

I tried with with a scrap piece of lexan from a windshield once. The issue is that the lexan will shrink too much. Otherwise the mold and oven setup works really well. 

Posted

I tried with with a scrap piece of lexan from a windshield once. The issue is that the lexan will shrink too much. Otherwise the mold and oven setup works really well. 

Look in my mangy thread and you will see the plexi lenses we made for my wing tip lights.  Lexan won't form like this, but plexi will. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

TJay,   Mike's model 4 needs longer cable fairings than yours - You can get plastic fairings from Spruce very cheap, or bend some thin aluminum to make your own.  The Pipers only had a piece of leather with a slit in it glued to the fabric.  Whatever Works!

I don't remember if I have saved any when I removed fabric from 3 planes, but if I can find a pair I will send them to you.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I never used the fairings on the Avid when I recovered it.  In fact, I don't think Avids came with them.  Just finishing tapes inside and out and cut a short slot.   Have a couple of sets for Kitfoxes though.  Jim Chuk