Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Who would you have overhaul your 2-stroke?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

With 6 years, some sitting time, and 350 hours SMOH on my 582 I'm thinking I need to start looking into tearing it down soon. If it wasn't for messing with the crank and bearings I'd just do it myself. Back when I was racing dirt bikes competitively I could put a top end in my 250 in a little over an hour. I've got some inquiries in with a few people and so far their prices are blowing my mind. There's no way in hell I'm paying 3 grand to rebuild this thing. I've seen crank prices all the way from $900 to $1400. Anyways curious who you guys have dealt with in the past and what you paid.

Posted

if the crank is tight, put new seals in it and run the crap out of it.  If you really want to drop a new crank in it, call Tony at Twisted Metal Racing in Canada.  I got a crank from him for mine and I think it was 550 or 600 delivered to the frozen north.  If I remember right, that was including the 100 core deposit (it was 120 to ship it back so I just kept mine).  You may want to toss in a set of wrist pins and bearings also.  There is nothing to rebuilding these.  If you dont have the overhaul manual, let me know and I will get a copy to you.  I can also burn you a copy of a DVD called "deep inside your rotax 2 stroke" that will guide you through it.  No need to change out perfectly good pistons IMO, or the crank for that matter.  The rotax repair shop I talked to up here had 582 cranks with 15-1700 hrs on them.  They do a leak check on the engine every 150 hrs and run the shit out of them.

http://www.tmracing.ca/parts/ShopParts.html

:beerchug:

Posted

I have the DVD but not the paper manual. What is the proper procedure for a leak check on one of these? The CPS catalog has a procedure but it involves a bunch of custom stuff to plug the intake and exhaust ports. I guess I should invest in a compression tester and test the compression.

Posted

The compression is not as big of a deal as the seals on the crank leaking... you loose compression and you power slowly...you loose a crank seal and you loose that cylinder when she goes lean and burns down.  A new set of seals off ebay will run you about 100 bucks and that includes all the gaskets.  I will check with Bob and see where he got his last set from as they were only about 50 bucks.  We have used these seals in 4 engines now that I have done with no issues.  One of the engines has about 150 hrs on it, mine has 75 hrs on it and I am not sure on Bobs engine, but I am going to guess around 50 hrs.

I just checked Tony's site and he has rebuilt cranks (same as we have in 2 engines here) for 450 plus 100 deposit.

I will try and get you out a copy of the rebuild manual when I get home, but I dont know if it will be in a week or 5 weeks... I may be doing a 6 week hitch this time.

:beerchug: