Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

C Box - Upper Aft Shaft Seal Leak

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi All:

Noticed after my last two outings that I am getting a static leak on my upper shaft (large gear) aft seal (the shaft that sticks out of the case).  Only leaks static after shut down and about 2 to 3 drops worth.  A bit of a nuisance at this point.

Anyone experienced this before?  Not sure if it is cold weather related or not.

To change this bugger (the seal), looks like the front half of the gear case needs to come off for sure.  The bearing and seal being held in by a C clip.  

Question though, have any of you changed this seal before?  If so, can this be done without pulling the aft case half off the airplane (considerably more work)?

Hoping this is an easy/light pressure fit (can be moved with hand pressure or light pressure on a wood shaft).  Hopefully a hydraulic press would not be required.

Anyone done seal change while on the bird?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

I've changed the seal on mine last year.  Its a bear, the bearing in front of it is pressed it and difficult to remove without damaging it at 115 bucks.  I wouldnt change it knowing now what I know unless it was leaking a measurable amount. 

Posted (edited)

Dissy/Assy specifics can be readily seen here:

http://www.aerofixaviation.co.uk/rotax-type-c-gearbox-service.shtml

Easy enough to take that part of the box off and send it to CPS or Rotax Rick if you didn't care to mess w/it.  Perhaps even a local machine shop and provide them the parts.

Oil leaks never seem to get better on their own.

Paul

Edited by allonsye