My Shop

26 posts in this topic

Posted

garage_zpso5nqhf1a.jpg

;)

7 people like this

Posted

I think my circle would be red & yellow...

Posted

We shoud start a hanger / shop / workspace / mancave thread.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ha ha, so true.

BTW, Latest addition to the hanger / shop / workspace / mancave...;)  Now I can loose things vertically as well.

DSCN1539-1.jpg

DSCN1540-1.jpg

DSCN1542-1.jpg

DSCN1543-1.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid
3 people like this

Posted

Randy that's a fabulous man-cave.  I love the Avid hanging like some sort of connoisseur meat aging in the rafters waiting to be savored and enjoyed.

As a single guy who doesn't require much in the way of habitation accouterments, had I shop space like that, I'd have an apartment within and I'd live there as well.  Presently all I have is a T-Hanger which I've considered outfitting with a small camper.

Bring 'em on guys. Show us your "My Shop"!

Posted

Yeah, the pie-chart is just so true... and I'm really jealous of you Randy, that is a helluva man-cave! (agree, I would live in it as well)

It is still a mystery to me how this plane could come out of "My Shop"... it did take a long time as nothing could be done in parallel but still...

avid new.jpg

garage.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

Wow Fred, that's tight!

Posted (edited)

My cluttered shop just got a tiny amount cleaner yesterday - I let the smoke out of the motor on my 2 hp Harbor Freight abrasive saw - Going Friday to buy a 3.5 hp - another Chinese cheapy from Harbor Freight.  Maybe someday when it gets warmer I will get a photo of my 16 foot wide workshop with 3 fuselages and lots of parts stored in it.  Two sets of wings and tailfeathers hanging on the walls.

Fortunately, I built this garage to put my camper in - 32 feet long with a 13 foot ceiling and 12 foot high double doors - now have 2 fuselages hanging from ceiling and a balcony for storing parts - still too crowded in the work space.  I would like to have a cleaner shop with only one plane in it - My wife and the junkman would like that too!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Holy cow, Randy... That is very cool!!! What are the dimensions? I am in the planning stages for a shop. Looking at a 30'X60' with a 20' eave. I was thinking half of it with a 10' ceiling and a loft up top. I like the way you think! Vertical storage!!! All I have for now is a rented hanger that is cold as he!!. But I did finally close in my garage. Insulated and climate controlled.

garage_zpszcgomiv5.jpg

Cooling/heating unit. This was before the lights, as in top pic.

DSC01830_zpsskjyrkd7.jpg

BTW those two cars are worth almost as my house!!!! Priorities in order? CHECK!!! :P

Edited by Fly-n-Low
1 person likes this

Posted

I've gotta say, I have been very blessed to have a hangar and definitely hang out there a lot, as Jack knows.  but I could learn a lot about efficiency from you guys.  Man, Fred, that is amazing!

Mine is a work in progress; I built it with my son in 2004 (he was 14 at the time).  It is 42'W X 48'L X 16' eve and 26' peak.  Over the years I added a leanto to the side a few years ago that is 16'W X 48'L which got a lot of the 4 wheelers, snow machines, tractor, welder, etc. out of the hangar and gave me a better shop type area to work/weld in away from the planes.  Ran power to it, natural gas, septic, but no well yet.  Added the second floor to the back 1/2 and got the back half insulated and working on getting that fully closed in for heating.  I want to have it so I can build my new wings up there this summer through next winter, then hope to make a little 2 BR apartment up there for the man cave and in case I get any visitors from the AFF group.

The size actually turned out to be pretty useful; it has a PA14 and both Jack's and my Avid +'s in it, plus a lot of storage on the second level and the 24' X 42' area for the future apartment.  I can just get the PA14 under the cross beam and to the back of the hangar on the ground level and have right at 6' at the eve wall on the second level so the second floor is pretty much fully useable.  I'm glad I went with a 16' eve and a 20' would be ample for good clearance on 2 floors.   I can't find many pictures of it inside but attached a couple of Jack's plane that show a little more.

I highly encourage anyone to do it if you can, whatever size you can afford. It is so nice to work on something and be able to come back to it as you left it.  And especially to roll your plane inside and close the door and not worry about it. 

Priorities an all you know....LOL

DSCN0697-1.jpg

DSCN0459-1.jpg

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

SUBER-NICE Shop Randy.   My city code wouldn't let me build one larger in square feet than a % of the size of my house, so I made it 16wide x 32deep, but with a 13 foot ceiling, and 12 foot high double doors.   Still too crowded with all my "Good Stuff" that my wife thinks is junk!   She will call it the "Bargain Barn" after I am gone!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

City code here is "400 SF"! Maybe I can move some furniture to the "shop" and move the fox to the larger structure...?    Lou

Posted

I don't know how you fellers do it.. I couldn't live in a place where I couldn't build what ever the bad word I wanted on my property.  I guess I have been spoiled by living outside the city limits all my life. 

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I don't know how you fellers do it.. I couldn't live in a place where I couldn't build what ever the bad word I wanted on my property.  I guess I have been spoiled by living outside the city limits all my life. 

:BC:

Here, living outside this city in the county jurisdiction is even worse - I built a 12 x 12 storage shed once, and by the time I got the roof on it, there was an inspector knocking on my door asking if I had a permit to build it, and I had to pay a fine and buy the dang permit to build it after it was finished, and the inspector came again to look at it and I had to pay him for inspecting it.  

For this one, I bought a permit, and had to put in 100 feet of concrete drive, and 4 inspections, including a fire marshal who didn't know beans about fireblocks in the walls.  His boss OK'd it.   I checked the rules, and built a 11 x 18 storage shed after that with no permit needed.     Yes, it is hard to live in a "Civilized" place!   I think now, instead of driving around and spying, they sit in the office and look at Google Street maps to see if we are doing anything that they want to be paid for!  

Here is a photo of my shop next to neighbors shop.  Yes, terrible snow last night - We got 1 inch!  It will be all melted by tomorrow - supposed to get up to 60F this week.   EDMO

SHOP.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I thoroughly enjoyed the 21 acres we had for a few years. Sure wish I still had it.

Ed - Many jurisdictions use GIS & sat maps. They compare them to find changes.

When I built my 10'X14' all wood shed this property was not in the city. Every afternoon a county building inspector would watch me for about 15-20 min. No permit. Nothing he could do because it was/is not a permanent structure. I had a argument with with the tax dept because it is not a permanent improvement. I don't worry about it blowing over or away.

Posted (edited)

I thoroughly enjoyed the 21 acres we had for a few years. Sure wish I still had it.

When I built my 10'X14' all wood shed this property was not in the city. Every afternoon a county building inspector would watch me for about 15-20 min. No permit. Nothing he could do because it was/is not a permanent structure. I had a argument with with the tax dept because it is not a permanent improvement. I don't worry about it blowing over or away.

That's the one good thing about living in the city here - they don't tell the county (who collects the taxes) that I got the build permit - if I lived in the county they would tax me immediately.  Just the foundation and floor was $10K - I think they tried to get to China with the footings!   When I built the 12x12 shed in the County, they raised my taxes $50 a year on a $500 shed!    And, they never lower taxes when real estate prices go down!   EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That's the one good thing about living in the city here - they don't tell the county (who collects the taxes) that I got the build permit - if I lived in the county they would tax me immediately.  Just the foundation and floor was $10K - I think they tried to get to China with the footings!   When I built the 12x12 shed in the County, they raised my taxes $50 a year on a $500 shed!    EdMO

Vote for Hillary lol she'll help you out :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That's the one good thing about living in the city here - they don't tell the county (who collects the taxes) that I got the build permit - if I lived in the county they would tax me immediately.  Just the foundation and floor was $10K - I think they tried to get to China with the footings!   When I built the 12x12 shed in the County, they raised my taxes $50 a year on a $500 shed!    EdMO

Vote for Hillary lol she'll help you out :lmao:

Yeh, like out of my house and into the poor house!   Raising taxes and spending money is the Democrat way!  I think I live in a Democrat County!   The country can't afford her, since she says she wants to continue what Oh Bummer has done - Bankrupt America !  ???   EdMo

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

I believe that's Democratic not Democrat    :ph34r:

Posted

I believe that's Democratic not Democrat    :ph34r:

My other words for them might get me sued!  EDMO

Posted

That is nice Randy!!! What do you guys use for heat? Thermal/floor heat?

Not going for a hanger quite yet. Although I do have a grass strip at my house. One day.

I have to have the sewage approved here, other wise I don't think there are any permits. Going to put a small bathroom with a shower to try to keep some of the dirt out of the house. I'll make sure of what I have to have before I get started, that is for sure. Don't care for any fines.

Posted (edited)

I've got an electric forced air furnace mounted up near the ceiling - no room left on the floor for it.  I used wallboard inside on 2x6 walls and insulated almost as much as I used when I was in Alaska - 6" in walls and double doors, and 10" in ceiling, same as the garage attached to my house.   I wish I had a shop/hanger like Randy's.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I hear ya, Ed!!! So do I. I'm fixing to by build one storage for mowers, trimmers, and maybe a fishing boat, then I am going to build, or have built a shop. For it I am going to use the I beam style all metal, spray in insulation, and LP gas infrared heaters. My problem is also heat and humidity. You'd be surprised how much water air at 100F can hold. If I can drop temp 10-15 degrees from the outside temp and humidity by 50% I'll have it going on.

You have insulation under your slab? I think I remember hearing of that.

Posted

Thinking 30X60 with a 20' eave.

Posted

I hear ya, Ed!!! So do I. I'm fixing to by build one storage for mowers, trimmers, and maybe a fishing boat, then I am going to build, or have built a shop. For it I am going to use the I beam style all metal, spray in insulation, and LP gas infrared heaters. My problem is also heat and humidity. You'd be surprised how much water air at 100F can hold. If I can drop temp 10-15 degrees from the outside temp and humidity by 50% I'll have it going on.

You have insulation under your slab? I think I remember hearing of that.

no insulation under the slab - Just walls and ceiling below attic space.   EDMO