Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

6&3 hole rims

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey All! Has anyone ever tried useing a 3 hole outer rim on a 6 hole inner rim, ?its a 600-6 wheel, Clevland. Are they the same hole spread? Probably a Cessna rim would be close 172 ect..Thanks for any input! If it would work it would save a lot of money and searching. Ironman Al.

0208161134.jpg

Posted

I never thought about doing that, but if 3 of the holes will line up I would do it.  I think the spacing may be a bit off though.

:BC:

Posted

I would "guess" the symmetry would be different as well.

Posted (edited)

One of the Cessna wheels is the 3-hole 40-90A - I guess the A designates the 1 1/4" axle bearing.   I have a Piper wheel, and think it is a 40-90, with 3 bolt holes and for the 1 1/2" axle, and I am going to take some measurements so he can compare it to his 6-hole Cessna wheel.

If you have 3 holes that form an equalateral triangle, and you turn that triangle upside-down, and put in 3 more holes, you would have a 6 hole pattern.... ???

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Makes sense.....probably why the 3 hole may not be a equilateral triangle   Lou

Posted

If the 3 holes were not equilateral, it would make the wheel off-balance....

EDMO

Posted

Oh, I thought you were referring to a nose dragger Cessna   LOL

1 person likes this

Posted

EDMO

I think Lou was thinking what I was thinking... it would make sense and be too easy if the 3 hole pattern lines up perfectly over half of the 6 hole wheels... Why would someone making aircraft parts do something that makes sense.. hence them probly being just a 1/4 hole off or something stupid that would prevent you from doing just that :lol:

Posted

EDMO

I think Lou was thinking what I was thinking... it would make sense and be too easy if the 3 hole pattern lines up perfectly over half of the 6 hole wheels... Why would someone making aircraft parts do something that makes sense.. hence them probly being just a 1/4 hole off or something stupid that would prevent you from doing just that :lol:

I guess we are shortly going to find out - I am going to the shop to get some measurements now, and Ironman Al can compare mine with his, although mine is a Piper wheel and his are probably Cessna - they are both Cleveland wheels.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

CLEVELAND 6 inch, 40-90 3-HOLE 1 1/2" AXLE WHEELS MEASUREMENTS;

The bolt holes are equidistant, and my measurements are plus/minus a few thousanths because of paint, except for the measurement of the diameter of the outer bearing race which is 2.560"

Bolt distance center-to-center aprox,. 4.100"          

Depth from outer rim to center indentation where bolt head sits 1.200"     

The diameter of the inside depression and outside of the small flange where the wheel halves mate is about 5.200"

Hope this helps Al,  measure between centers of two bolts, skipping the bolt between them.

Note for Akflyer:  If all holes were not equidistant, then there would only be one position for you to mount the wheel halfs together, but you can rotate either half and the holes still line up.

EDMO 

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds good! Thanks for your help Ed! And everyone else, I'll be doing that ASAP, and let you know results! 

Posted

The bolt holes are equidistant, and my measurements are plus/minus a few thousanths because of paint, except for the measurement of the diameter of the outer bearing race which is 2.560"

The diameter of the inside depression and outside of the small flange where the wheel halves mate is about 5.200"

Hope this helps Al,  measure between centers of two bolts, skipping the bolt between them.

Note for Akflyer:  If all holes were not equidistant, then there would only be one position for you to mount the wheel halfs together, but you can rotate either half and the holes still line up.

EDMO 

Ed,  We were making a funny... a ha ha.  poking fun at a manufacture saying they would never do something logical in aviation.... 

Posted (edited)

EDMO 

Ed,  We were making a funny... a ha ha.  poking fun at a manufacture saying they would never do something logical in aviation.... 

Yes Leni,  I totally agree, but I thought maybe you might be kornfuzing some newkommer, and posted that for their info -

I kno U kno better!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

WELL! Glad that's settled...

Bring  on the next dustup...:BC:

Edited by KFfan
1 person likes this

Posted

Ending of this story is that I bought a new outer rim from Alaska bush wheels, exact replica of the Clevland, only aluminum not magnesium, at a lot less price, and its powder coated. 179.00 vrs.575.00,

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ending of this story is that I bought a new outer rim from Alaska bush wheels, exact replica of the Clevland, only aluminum not magnesium, at a lot less price, and its powder coated. 179.00 vrs.575.00,

Nice to hear that there are cheaper places to buy wheels.   I didn't even know that ABW sold wheels - I thought just tires.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed! Yes they have aluminum Clevland wheels 6 and 8" maybe 10" to. I know the make a big wheel tail wheel.