Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Don's Catalina Thread

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I would recommend other Catalina owners to change the windshield as I have and to try sponsons inboard as well. The handling in water is much better with less stress on wings. You need a little more control as it handle more like a sea do but so much more fun when you drop a wing and spin on the sponson. I do rip one off every so often because of light weight hanger and also get some looks when people see an airplane doing 180's but control in tight docking spaces is unbelievable. Added a folding door on the wheels that is spring loaded to create a smooth surface for quicker takeoff. Another simple but effective solution to spray. I lost to many engines with water in carb.

avid 007.jpg

avid 002.jpg

avid 001.jpg

avid 003.jpg

smoth rock 005.jpg

smoth rock 001.jpg

smoth rock 008.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

I really like the looks of the windshield raked out further forwards.  I have been looking at how I wanted to do mine.  Have you had any problems with water spray coming in around the windshield?

Any chance you could post up more pictures of your gear doors?  What engine are you running and what kind of performance numbers are you getting?

Thanks and welcome to the site, I can't wait to be able to compare lies with you about how well mine performs :lmao: 

:BC:

Posted

I was using a 670 reworked in these pictures, real light and lots of power but almost no reliability. Take off was no more than 200 ft, cruise was 85mph Not a clue on rate of climb but fast. Big problem was landing as it did not want to leave ground effect so I had to fly it into the water instead of doing a flare.  I was scared to take it  to far from a landing location. I think it has too much lift. Heavier engine may help that.  I am back into pieces now getting rid of weight like heaters and such, Relocating battery and eliminating back seat to accommodate extra weight of the Subaru. I can add weight if needed instead of trying to have everything at first. Also added an electric landing gear I saw on that red avid in Ontario California, Casey Curtis I believe was his name. !00 times better than the old finger pinching unreliable manual. I will get some pictures of the doors. They came with the plane when I bought it but were made of fiberglass and I made new ones out of aluminum that worked way better.

3 people like this

Posted

I am starting this new thread so we can follow Don's progress and he mounts the subie engine on his Catalina and shares with us his knowledge of these awesome planes!

Again, welcome aboard Don, and thanks in advance for sharing with us your flying knowledge of the plane!

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice plane, Don!   It has some great ideas in it.  I really like the gear door idea- I was just noticing a few days ago how much drag the open wheel well has.   I also like the inboard radiator mount- could you post some detail pictures of the gear doors and the radiator install?! 

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Catalina #157

1 person likes this

Posted

PS- Ditto on what others said about the windshield.  Makes the poor Catalina look almost half sexy. 

1 person likes this

Posted

cowlove, I see you noticed that inboard radiator. I did not like the drag and tried a different approach that worked. I ducted from the side window into a rad mounted under the engine against the firewall and instaled an electric fan for stationary and slow taxi. I had to put air exit holes at back of turtle deck. I will put up more pictures when snow is gone and I pull out aircraft. Packed away wraped up for winter at the moment. I don't have any pics I can find at the moment that would show what is needed to see. 

Don

1 person likes this

Posted

Don, did you notice any cruise speed improvement w/ the radiator and/or landing gear doors?     

Posted

No, but better handling and shorter on takeoff on water

Posted

I have been looking at mine and thinking... I know, that is normally a bad thing however; do you have any problems with water leaking in around the windshield or at the top of the canopy?  It looks to me like its a sure bet that water will be running down my neck or all over the seat when sitting outside in the rain.  I was thinking of a way to better seal it off, but if its not a major problem I wont worry about it too much, or I can make a canopy cover for it when it is parked outside.  I am thinking of water running in during the winter when we get the rain then it freezing in the bottom of the fuse.  I am at work 2 weeks at a time and would hate to come back to a 50 pound block of ice in the seat.

Posted

Hey Don, if you need advice for the electric gear, Casey's catalina is mine now :) and flying all around BC...

Cheers

Posted

Hi, 

I know this is an old thread, but i'm giving it a try anyway. Would it be possible to see any close up photos of the gear door? 

Best regards, 

Erik

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Don, 

I would like to share my concerns about your subaru install idea...indeed the amphibian/catalina are tail heavyer when going from a 582 to a 912 install. I really believe the 912 is the maximum weight for this aircraft. It will have good performance and a safe c of g loading ability.

Any heavier weight on the engine will make the cat a good and safe one seater I believe....remember you probably will have to ad some lead up front to compensate for the heavy subaru and in the end your useful load will be less than two adults.

Do you have some idea about empty weight and c of g figures yet??

Of course I may be wrong...but my cat has gone through very precise evaluation concerning C of g vs useful load. What I found is that the 912 is about the max it can take....

Let me know your thoughts...

Cheeers

1 person likes this

Posted

Is that in Washington