Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buying Aerothane

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Might order some Aerothane for my wings, It says it automatically adds catalyses that I need, So how bout Reducer do I have to buy that separate or is that also added. Also what does Aerothane use for reducer, Just the R65-75 same as all the other poly products? 

Posted

No, I think that they call for UE-820 Reducer which is designed for Aerothane.  Polyurethane paint isn't as easy as the Polytone to paint with and you will want a good outside air source feeding a full protective hood.  If you are going for that shiny wet look expect to use 50% or more paint to fill the weave which will add a fair amount of weight.  Also repairs are much harder to make them look good without painting a whole panel (wing).  More than you asked I know, but my 2 cents worth and just one opinion.

Posted

TJay,   Hope you have a fresh air breather if you spray this Urethane - If you go out, you wont come back on!   EDMO

Posted

TJay,   Hope you have a fresh air breather if you spray this Urethane - If you go out, you wont come back on!   EDMO

Cant be a whole lot worse than that poly-brush was to spray. Or any of that stuff I did in my early 20s

Posted (edited)

Cant be a whole lot worse than that poly-brush was to spray. Or any of that stuff I did in my early 20s

TJay,   I am not a chemical expert - failed to take chemistry in high school or in college, but according to the ones who know chemistry, the isocyanate in urethane paints is something like the cyanide that they used in the death chambers - it can attack the nerves, and if your lights suddenly go out, they wont come back on.  Fresh air breathers are mandatory for spraying it in a closed space.  I think you can rent them? 

I was grinding asbestos brake shoe linings with no mask on when I was a teen, washing glue off of my hands and arms with MEK and worked with so many bad chemicals when I was young that it's a wonder I am still here with one kidney left, and no lung cancer - Yet!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The isocyanates can also be absorbed easily through the skin, so a fully sealed suit with gloves, meaning ZERO exposed skin, is mandatory. 

This also applies to the Stewart's paints as well. 

Posted

To each his own on paints I guess, but having never used aerothane, I still have my opinions on it verses poly tone.  My understanding on it is much like has already been mentioned.  Hard to patch, heavy,  and hard on the body without special precautions.  There are things that can be added to poly tone to make it shine more if that is the goal.  Getting the poly tone to dry slower gives it more shine.  Cooler temps cause it to dry slower as well, but more care has to be taken so it doesn't run.  If it's not drying, it's easier to get to much built up till it runs.  Just kind of bored sitting here in SC waiting to head north to Ct. in the morning, so I couldn't resist adding my thoughts.  They are worth every penny you paid for them ;-)  Jim Chuk

3 people like this

Posted

The isocyanates can also be absorbed easily through the skin, so a fully sealed suit with gloves, meaning ZERO exposed skin, is mandatory. 

This also applies to the Stewart's paints as well. 

Thanks for adding that Larry.   I think that is also stated in the Stewart videos.  EDMO

Posted

I have heard that Poly-Tone doesn't take gas spills well, Is that true? I am not against Poly-tone by any means and the price is very appealing compared to aerothane, For those of you that have used Poly-tone, are you happy with how it all turned out and would you do it again,

Posted

I wont bother shooting anything but poly tone on a fabric plane.  The easiest for field repairs and patches and you can make a pretty decent blend on a repair easily.  You can shoot rejuvenator on it as it ages as well to bring it back to a more flexible state.  If your planning on using the plane off airport, I wouldn't shoot anything but poly tone and I would keep the coats pretty light.  If you put on a heavy finish and try to fill the weave you will end up with ring worms in the finish in no time, especially if your flying in cold weather.  I have heard and read all the doom and gloom on the stuff but I just used a cartridge type respirator and I am am pretty nnnnormal stii iiiiill.

My absolute #1 reason for the poly tone is the ease of field repairs.. I have needed a patch here and there from brush and rock and the occasional tree :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I wont bother shooting anything but poly tone on a fabric plane.  The easiest for field repairs and patches and you can make a pretty decent blend on a repair easily.  You can shoot rejuvenator on it as it ages as well to bring it back to a more flexible state.  If your planning on using the plane off airport, I wouldn't shoot anything but poly tone and I would keep the coats pretty light.  If you put on a heavy finish and try to fill the weave you will end up with ring worms in the finish in no time, especially if your flying in cold weather.  I have heard and read all the doom and gloom on the stuff but I just used a cartridge type respirator and I am am pretty nnnnormal stii iiiiill.

My absolute #1 reason for the poly tone is the ease of field repairs.. I have needed a patch here and there from brush and rock and the occasional tree :lol:

TJay was asking, "What about gas spills on polytone?"  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It can be a whole lot worse, and it is a whole lot worse.

In addition to being really really bad, it has, and I quote, "Poor warning qualities" which means you don't realize that you are getting nailed. With the polytone, or other old style paints you knew when your respirator was used up by the smell. Not so with the two part urethane. That's why you really, really want a source of outside air.

Paint suit, good gloves, and outside air.

Posted

I have heard that Poly-Tone doesn't take gas spills well, Is that true? I am not against Poly-tone by any means and the price is very appealing compared to aerothane, For those of you that have used Poly-tone, are you happy with how it all turned out and would you do it again,

Depends on how much and how often you spill. A leaking full level sender will make a real mess over time. But, I would use it again because it's easy to repair - so far I have had fuel tanks out three times :-(

PICT2662.JPG

Posted (edited)

Geoffry,  Wouldn't an internal leak like that do more damage than spilling a little on the outside and wiping it off?  At least it don't crinkle the UV coating under the finish coat like the one that was painted with Stewarts UV - that was a turnoff for me.   Can you just repaint the area after the leak is gone with Poly? 

I've got a sample of Silver Oratex that I am going to test with some gasoline before I make up my mind about using it.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It seemed to be mostly stained - not lifting from the fabric. But I chose to replace the fabric rather than mess around.

Posted

My poly-tone is just about tweny years old and still looks good. I spill gas on it all of the time, no damage or stains. Nice to work with, easy to patch.

Posted

I have never heard of ring worm? does that apply with accent  colors like the leading edge. say you have 3 cross coats or color on the wings, which is really 6 coats now three cross coats on the leading edge that's a total of 12 coats of paint, has anybody else seen or dealt with this.

Posted

If I remember right I only put 9 coats of dope on.  3 poly brush, 3 poly spray, 3 poly tone. The only place I have some cracking or ringworm is where my left hand rests on the top longeron when moving my airplane on the ground and below the pilots door. This is from forgetting keys or change in my right pocket when starting my Bandit. The Belly will take a beatting, usually from fabric that flutters some and cleaning oil residue off.

1 person likes this

Posted

I recently buffed a 17 year old polytone job on a Kolb. It looked like hand rubbed lacquar when I was finished. I have had great success with polytone. Good product for all the above mentioned reasons including much lighter.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok you guys convinced me to go the cheaper wrought I just ordered a couple gallons of Poly-Tone, If it spray's as easy as the poly-spray there will be nothing to it. Hopefully by next weekend my pictures will look different again, Are you guys spraying 2 cross coats or doing what the book says and going the full 3 cross coats? Or just spraying till it looks good and even

Posted

I sprayed a coat left to right then up and down. I called that one coat.

Posted

I also did like Bandit.  One each way with the white covered the poly spray completely.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Some colors are easier than others.  What color are you spraying TJay?

Posted

Some colors are easier than others.  What color are you spraying TJay?

I can't tell you ;) you'll  have to wait till next weekend to see ha

Posted

if you are painting your plane yellow, you might want to spray a cross coat of white first. It will make the yellow look cleaner and brighter. This may be true with other bright colors also.