Is this 582 radiator cowling a standar Avid piece?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

One port off the fiberglass rear cowl leads to the cab and the other goes to a carb heater box. If both the carb and cab heat is turned off there would be ZERO airflow through the right radiator.

What am I missing? Will the 582 run cool with only 1 free flowing radiator?

image.thumb.jpeg.a6c60fc983cc75360ff08db

image.thumb.jpeg.046fccae84ce42b79f40970

Posted (edited)

You don't really need a carb heat box with a 582 Rotax.   I would take the cabin heat off once the weather warms enough so you don't need any heat.  If you have a day where you're getting more heat than you need in the cabin, open a window vent.   That's what I did with my 582s.   Jim Chuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

It had an Ellison Throttle Body Carb.  Im strapping some bings back on there. I may just remove the whole fiberglass cowl for the summer and while I break the motor in for the first dozen hours. 

Posted

Never heard of throttle body carbs on a 582.  New one on me.  Bings a not very prone to carb ice.  I don't know how cold of weather you fly in, but if it's real cold where you are, make a muffler shroud and run the air from the radiator into it, and then run from the shroud to the cockpit.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

image.thumb.jpeg.9ca9bf0bcc649cabf950ca0Ellison throttle body carb with heater box. The air coming onto the heater box was unfiltered through the radiator as well. It was a super clean install, just not to fond of the air filter bypass for the heat. 

Posted (edited)

I thought throttle bodies didn't ice up because there was no venturi? ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO