Ivo in flight adjustable on 582

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Just figured I would throw this out and see what you guys have to say about an in flight adjustable on a rotax 582 on a Kitfox 4 have all  the stuff to install but not sure I want all pros and cons trying to decide to put it on or just get a ground adjustable is it a big benefit on a 582 thanks any input helps 

Posted

Put it on, there are no down sides! 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Put it on, there are no down sides! 

Leni,  Didn't several of you have problems with the lead screw washers or something?   And, someone posted diagrams for better controls?  I put this on here, so maybe Justin can learn more from the posts or experiences of others before he might possibly have the same problems.  I have read that you say that it is a great prop otherwise.

AND, WHY does the message board on here say that "Akflyer cannot receive messages" ?   ???

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

There are lots of threads on this here, a quick search will answer all questions.  Ed, I guess my inbox was full, I just emptied it.

Posted

Of course, it can never qualify as an LSA again which may hurt your resale...

Posted (edited)

Of course, it can never qualify as an LSA again which may hurt your resale...

Depends on what you put in logbook.   "If it isn't logged, it didn't happen!" 

Maybe the switch is labeled "For Ground Adjustment Only", or, "For Static RPM Adjustment Only"?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Well, there is the don't ask don't tell option.

The last issue of Kitplanes addressed the placard idea - the DAR guy says a placard doesn't cut it. But that's an opinion.

Posted

the poly switches diagram is on here somewhere.much better than the breaker setup from ivo .I forget the electronics wizards name that is on here.

Posted

Chris Bolkan

Posted (edited)

You should probably stay legal, and let us riff raff reble types play with the gray areas. 

Wanna sell it?  Im in the same debate. I'd cinsider buying you're IFA hub from you. I need longer blades because I have a 670, not the 582. But the IFA hub will work for me.  I'm looking at 72" UL blades or 72" medium IVO's. 

Edited by LORENZ

Posted

Keep an eye on your egt's as two stroke load has a effect on egt's

I wish my 582 had an IVO 

Posted

I had both 2 and 3 blades on a IVO IFA UL hub and 2.62 C gearbox on my 582-powered Catalina.   The 72" 2 blade IVO setup let me dial in the most efficient cruise I've ever got from the plane, but couldn't quite match the static thrust of the prior 3-blade 70" Warp drive and a 3.00 gearbox.    The 3-blade 72" IVO had obnoxiously huge static thrust running right at redline, but I don't think I could quite dial in the cruise performance of the Warp drive.   It's a little too much prop for the 582, I got the setup planning to move to a 670. 

It was a whole lot of fun to play with in the air.  I loved having a backup plan if EGT's got a little high.  Just a nudge of pitch would bring them right in line. 

Alas, the IVO blades don't hold up to water spray very well, and I've switched back to the Warp drive with its bomber nickle leading edges until I make some improvements and don't have endless 90-second water takeoff runs at full gross anymore. 

Posted

just a guess, but I was told that if you went to a 68" 3-blade, you could put in more pitch and get same TO and better cruise than with the 72".   EDMO

Posted

EDMO: Yeah, the 3 blade 72 is too much prop for the 582 for sure.  I got the blades anticipating the Rotax Rick 670 this spring.   I'm guessing with the 670 and landing gear doors, the thing won't stay on the water long enough to put even the slightest bit of additional wear on the blades :)  Until then, I'll troll around with the Warp Drive. 

Posted

I've been running a 72" on mine for a while. Thinking of going back to my 70" tapered tip warp. I'm running a 2.62:1 E box. The IVO runs much smoother than the warp. 

Posted

Why would you go back to the warp?

Posted

For all up performance not that impressed. The big advantages are being able to load the motor however I want but I've never gotten the cruise speeds I used to see with my warp. Not sure if it was the 70 to 72 jump or the two blade to 3 blade jump. I run my IVO at a pretty conservative pitch.  With my set up I easily overload the motor if not careful. 

Posted

I have been using the IVO ground adjustable prop for years. Started out with the Culver 2 blade wood prop that came with the kit. I am going to put my Culver prop back on some time this summer and see how that works again. I am not sure if I like the IVO. It is a real fine line between cruise and takeoff rpms. If I pitch my prop for around 6000rpm on takeoff it works pretty good, any higher rpm it is like you are spinning your wheels. The prop is turning to beat hell but you are not going any place. I do not believe guys that say you need 6500rpms on takeoff. I have tried that many times, scares the hell out of me. It does run smoother though. So I set the pitch around 5950- 6000 rpm on takeoff and never adjust it again. This gives me best takeoff and cruise for my airplane. Is that worth having a adjustable pitch prop? I'm not sure. The guys using the IFA props always say they just tweek the pitch. To much pitch or to little will not work. Anyway, this is what I found out in my Bandit.

Posted (edited)

I have been using the IVO ground adjustable prop for years. Started out with the Culver 2 blade wood prop that came with the kit. I am going to put my Culver prop back on some time this summer and see how that works again. I am not sure if I like the IVO. It is a real fine line between cruise and takeoff rpms. If I pitch my prop for around 6000rpm on takeoff it works pretty good, any higher rpm it is like you are spinning your wheels. The prop is turning to beat hell but you are not going any place. I do not believe guys that say you need 6500rpms on takeoff. I have tried that many times, scares the hell out of me. It does run smoother though. So I set the pitch around 5950- 6000 rpm on takeoff and never adjust it again. This gives me best takeoff and cruise for my airplane. Is that worth having a adjustable pitch prop? I'm not sure. The guys using the IFA props always say they just tweek the pitch. To much pitch or to little will not work. Anyway, this is what I found out in my Bandit.

Bandit,  Are you comparing Apples to Apples?  Aren't you running a 503, and others running 582? 

I wouldn't know what rpm to run either of them - Just asking.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sounds like you are cavitating your prop possibly. The difference between 6000 and 6400 rpm on takeoff on mine is over 500 fpm climb out. Mine seems to pull best right at 64. Above that not so much. With so many gearbox ratios and prop options their are gobs of possible combinations. Maybe reach out to your local EAA chapter for a loaner prop? we used to run powerfins on our 503 powered parachutes. 

Posted

I know this isn't the question asked  but just as an observation; on a Subaru it turns it into a totally different plane.  When Joey and I got to talk about it (for too short a time), the available torque of the 4 stroke seems to be able to get more out use out of the prop when you load it up.  I feel like I am standing still when I have gone back to my warp drive.  I can tune the cruise by rpm and the fuel flow with throttle, prop and mixture control (by EGT's) to optimize fuel burn for the speed you want.  It gives you a whole range of control and much better top AND bottom end in one prop.  It upped my top end by 15 mph and with as good or better bottom end performance.

Posted

I am turning a 66" 3 bladed prop. Is that to short? 2.58 gear box.

Posted

I know this is a bit dated, but it is a great thread and very helpful to guys like me who are new to all of this and are trying to learn what works, so thanks to everyone who posted....

Charlie

1 person likes this