Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

74 degrees and a Fly-In!

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys,

We have a Fly-In this weekend and the weather is going to be awesome!

Come join us!

wimage.thumb.jpeg.2d6fc85d739648418ab442e

Edited by RDavidson
1 person likes this

Posted

Ron,  If I had my plane finished, I might try to be there - But, with my luck, I would be caught in a blizzard on Monday and have to stay there until spring.  EDMO

Posted

I'd be concerned about winds. Predicted for Topeka today 30 sustained gusting to 50!

Posted

I'd be concerned about winds. Predicted for Topeka today 30 sustained gusting to 50!

That's the nice part of the return trip from Colorado to Missouri across Kansas - Strong tailwinds and all downhill....  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

We are getting winds in the 40's and gusts to 60's here in Wyoming and G to 70s this afternoon.

Edited by wypaul

Posted (edited)

We are getting winds in the 40's and gusts to 60's here in Wyoming and G to 70s.

I might be able to get there with 48 gallons in my wing tanks - then come back on just the header tank - throttle back and glide home!  I heard some bad stories about the winds in the passes in Alaska being so strong at times that a slow plane could not possibly fly against them.  I know that there were 100 mph winds near the mountains east of Anchorage at one time.   I never experienced that, but I had a friend who wrecked his Stinson trying to land with headwinds so strong there that if he had gotten to Cook inlet he would have been out of gas and would have ditched in the water.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Gusting to 60mph in CO now, but nice for the rest of the weekend!

Posted (edited)

I backed up a Cessna for about a mile at 1000 agl one time in 50+ mph winds.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

We had just under 100 aircraft show up!!!  It was awesome!  The restaurant struggled to get people fed, but I don't think they thought so many people would show.

We will do it again in June, so maybe some of us can make it.  No Avids or Kitfoxes were there, but there was a beautiful Just Aircraft Super STOL.

See ya,

Ron

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

What the heck is going on with the tail of that Just?  ???  Something strange, if I am seeing it right!   Maybe it is just the paint job on the elevator that looks confusing - I now see the shadow on the ground, which shows the shape better. 

Thanks for posting.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ed,

I see what you are talking about...it is the black stripe that is making it look strange.

I was surprised at how short the fuselage was and the wing span.  My Magnum looks bigger.

The leading edge slats are cool and great big flaps.  It had the 914 turbo charged rotax which they said was a must in our high altitudes.

It also had the cockpit lockable tail wheel...they said it really works great!

I should have bummed a ride, but I was too busy with everything else.  It was a beautiful day, and everyone was excited to see so many airplanes at an airport that has been dead for a few years!

It was like pulling teeth to get the city management on board.

Our city is using the EAS (Essential Air Service) to subsidize one commercial flight to DIA a day Monday through Friday.  They think this will continue to grow and eventually make our airport pay for itself!  If that were possible the government wouldn't have to subsidize it IDIOTS!  We are 30 min from COS and 1+30 from DIA...This is wasting tax dollars and we have watched it fail over and over again, but the city keeps chasing Federal $.

I set this event up to show them that GA is the pot of gold worth chasing.  I originally thought 25-40 aircraft would show,, but 100 was a great surprise!  From the email traffic I have already received, it sounds like city management still doesnt get it!  I didnt even get a thank you for my efforts from them!  No good deed goes unpunished!

It really pisses me off, because we keep putting bankers into these city positions and all they want to do is make the balance sheet look good, they have no vision and know nothing about aviation!  I don't know if I will continue to help this airport...too many broken parts.  It is unfortunate because the airfield businesses pitched in big time on the fly-in, they see the photo grande!

Well, I guess I fell off of the high from such a great event...now I'm back to dealing with dumbasses That wouldnt know a good thing if it fell on them!

Ron

Edited by RDavidson

Posted

Well, I guess I fell off of the high from such a great event...now I'm back to dealing with dumbasses That wouldnt know a good thing if it fell on them!

Ron

Who you callin' dumbasses?...Just kidding. I was hoping the winds would lay down for the event. Most politicians don't understand much...

Lou

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ron,   Thanks for the great writeup and photos - Maybe you should think about getting into politicks - sounds like they need someone new!   At least, you should get the votes from the Aviation folks.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Good write up Ron and hope you guys have many more great fly-ins.  Back when I worked for Tooele Army Depot I used to get to Pueblo on occasion since we did projects for Pueblo AD (that was before my flying days).  Would love to stop by there again now for such an event!

1 person likes this

Posted

Randy,

It probably hasn't changed much since you were here!

However, the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum is top notch and growing all of the time!  It is about 100 yards from the main terminal.  They have a complete B-29 in a hangar and a lot of other aircraft 40+.  They just got a MiG-15, MiG-17 and the last complete original surrender documents signed by the Japanese on the USS Missouri.

it is worth the stop if you make it back to the lower 48!

See ya,

Ron

Posted

Neat stuff!  If I get that way I will definitely make it a point of destination.

1 person likes this